Clipping vs. Clipping Path

Post by Ron Arquilevic » Thu, 24 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me the difference between setting a path as a "Clipping
path" in  Photoshop and choosing that same path in Quarks clipping menu
under embedded paths? Are the results the same?

--
Best Regards,
Ron Arquilevich

Clipping vs. Clipping Path

Post by Del Tre » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Can anyone tell me the difference between setting a path as a "Clipping
>path" in  Photoshop and choosing that same path in Quarks clipping menu
>under embedded paths? Are the results the same?

Yes.
The "clipping" menu in  Quark 4x recognises any paths saved with a
Photoshop EPS, regardless of whether or not these have been designated
as "clipping paths" in Photoshop. Most experienced users find this
"feature" a mixed blessing. This means that in a Photoshop document with
several paths any of them can be used in Quark as a "clipping" path.
Prior to version 4 only a path designated as "clipping" in PS was
recognised by Quark.
--
Del Tree

Clipping vs. Clipping Path

Post by Vic Forsma » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> >Can anyone tell me the difference between setting a path as a "Clipping
> >path" in  Photoshop and choosing that same path in Quarks clipping menu
> >under embedded paths? Are the results the same?

> Yes.
> The "clipping" menu in  Quark 4x recognises any paths saved with a
> Photoshop EPS, regardless of whether or not these have been designated
> as "clipping paths" in Photoshop. Most experienced users find this
> "feature" a mixed blessing. This means that in a Photoshop document with
> several paths any of them can be used in Quark as a "clipping" path.
> Prior to version 4 only a path designated as "clipping" in PS was
> recognised by Quark.
> --
> Del Tree

This also means that you can now save a tiff with a path and use that path
in Xpress as a clipping path. It no longer has to be saved from Photoshop as
a clipping path and EPS.

--
Vic Forsman
v i c f   a t   n e t t a l l y   d o t   c o m

Clipping vs. Clipping Path

Post by Dean Anderso » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

DO NOT USE THE QXPRESS CLIPPING PATH OPTION

it does not work properly, always use clipping path in pshop and have path
on item in Quark

This is the best way

> Can anyone tell me the difference between setting a path as a "Clipping
> path" in  Photoshop and choosing that same path in Quarks clipping menu
> under embedded paths? Are the results the same?

> --
> Best Regards,
> Ron Arquilevich
> President
> cardconnection.com
> http://www.cardconnection.com
> Tel. 818.762.8127

Clipping vs. Clipping Path

Post by Len Schmi » Sun, 27 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> DO NOT USE THE QXPRESS CLIPPING PATH OPTION

> it does not work properly, always use clipping path in pshop and have path
> on item in Quark

I use it all the time for hi-res output and it always works fine for me.
The clipping path function in Quark 4 is, in my opinion, one of the most
useful and dangerous features.

I use it all the time, but if you are not familiar with it (many people
don't really even know it's there) it can produce some unexpected results.

But if you know it's there, by all means use it!

The only thing to watch out for is that updating a picture in the
picture usage dialog does *not* update the clipping path. You have to
manually go into the clipping path dialog and hit "rescan."

--
Len

Clipping vs. Clipping Path

Post by Manny » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> DO NOT USE THE QXPRESS CLIPPING PATH OPTION

> it does not work properly, always use clipping path in pshop and have
path
> on item in Quark

> This is the best way

What are you talking about? We've never had a problem using the
embedded paths in Quark. What do you do if your image is on a colored
background? You can't set it on item or you would get a white box
around it.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Clipping vs. Clipping Path

Post by Vic Forsma » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

One should not be so emphatic when making declarations! Obviously, it has
caused problems for you BUT that doesn't mean that it is wrong. I have used
the Xpress clipping function frequently with great results to our ECRM VR 30
imagesetter.

--
Vic Forsman
v i c f   a t   n e t t a l l y   d o t   c o m