Problem distilling pc postscript (error null null null...)

Problem distilling pc postscript (error null null null...)

Post by Lee Blevi » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:05:31

Recently a customer got a new computer.

I haven't investigated what or what os but I heard from the staff we can
no longer distill his ps files on a mac or run them through the Scitex
PS/M.

It just reports an error of "null null null" on an on.

Does anybody have an idea of what could be happening here?

We can distill them on the pc.

Post by Alex Cherepano » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 22:53:46

> We can no longer distill his ps files on a mac or run them through the Scitex
> PS/M.

> It just reports an error of "null null null" on an on.
> We can distill them on the pc.

"null null null" is not a PostScript error. It is the content of an
array or stack. Please provide the complete error message.
A sample PS file will help too.

Post by Aandi Inst » Tue, 04 Sep 2001 23:10:49

>Recently a customer got a new computer.

>I haven't investigated what or what os but I heard from the staff we can
>no longer distill his ps files on a mac or run them through the Scitex
>PS/M.

>It just reports an error of "null null null" on an on.

What's the actual error?

Problem distilling pc postscript (error null null null...)

Post by Ian Kemmi » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 02:24:04

Quote:

>Recently a customer got a new computer.

>I haven't investigated what or what os but I heard from the staff we can
>no longer distill his ps files on a mac or run them through the Scitex
>PS/M.

>It just reports an error of "null null null" on an on.

>Does anybody have an idea of what could be happening here?

>We can distill them on the pc.

 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If you can distil them on the PC, then the first place to look is to see if the
file is getting mangled by whatever you use to transfer it to the Mac.  If it
used to distil on both PC and Mac, then maybe he used to produce 7-bit
printable PS files, and is now producing binary PS files.  He should be able to
control this from his `printer setup' dialogue box.

Ian Kemmish                   18 Durham Close, Biggleswade, Beds SG18 8HZ, UK

Behind every successful organisation stands one person who knows the secret
of how to keep the managers away from anything truly important.

Post by Lee Blevi » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:39:57

> >We can distill them on the pc.
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> If you can distil them on the PC, then the first place to look is to see
> if the file is getting mangled by whatever you use to transfer it to the
> Mac.  If it used to distil on both PC and Mac, then maybe he used to
> produce 7-bit printable PS files, and is now producing binary PS files.
> He should be able to control this from his `printer setup' dialogue box.

the postscript file looks fine when viewed in bbedit on the mac.

Post by Aandi Inst » Wed, 05 Sep 2001 19:55:06

>> >We can distill them on the pc.
>>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>> If you can distil them on the PC, then the first place to look is to see
>> if the file is getting mangled by whatever you use to transfer it to the
>> Mac.  If it used to distil on both PC and Mac, then maybe he used to
>> produce 7-bit printable PS files, and is now producing binary PS files.
>> He should be able to control this from his `printer setup' dialogue box.

>the postscript file looks fine when viewed in bbedit on the mac.

But clearly it isn't fine, or it would Distill. Well, probably. What
is the actual error and how was the file transferred?

Post by Lee Blevi » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:31:47

> >the postscript file looks fine when viewed in bbedit on the mac.

> But clearly it isn't fine, or it would Distill. Well, probably. What
> is the actual error and how was the file transferred?

I'd have to put the thing back in the rip and didn't have time today.

What is interesting about this is:

1) It's obviously a platform issue

2) the word "null" in the error message appears manny times.
   Like, 50 or more.

example:

null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
null null and so on.

3) It not only won't distill, it acts exactly the same in PS/M

I transferred the file to the mac via zip. I put the same file on the
win2k server that wouldn't rip or distill and distilled it from the pc.
Both mac and pc saw the same file on the same server.

Post by Odysseu » Thu, 06 Sep 2001 09:02:21

> 2) the word "null" in the error message appears manny times.
>    Like, 50 or more.

> example:

> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
> null null null null null null null null null null null null null null
> null null and so on.

This looks like the PS error-handling machinery 'helpfully' reporting
the contents of the stack at the moment the error occurred, which can
sometimes be an aid in troubleshooting -- but it would normally be
preceded by a description of the error itself and the command that
caused it.

If this is all that shows up in Distiller's window, it could be that the
first part scrolled too far to be viewable -- but the complete error
message should be saved in the log file, which can be inspected with any
text editor.

--Odysseus

Problem distilling pc postscript (error null null null...)

Post by Ted Vahe » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 12:16:59

The null postscript command pushes a literal null object on the operand
stack. null is not an operator; it is a name in systemdict associated with
the null object.

Possibly you have an issue with the carriage return line feed transition
from PC to Mac?

Apple MacOS considers null (zero) bytes to be white space characters, UNIX
considers them to character string terminators. Unless an UNIX application
is careful coded to handle character streams containing null bytes which are
data, omissions of data may occur. Many Adobe PostScript interpreters will
treat null bytes as whitespace.

You could try using ghostscript
http://graduate.gradsch.uga.edu/etd2/ghost.htm. It's a free interpreter that
will rip a PostScript file to your screen.
You may also want to try to remove control characters "zap gremlins" in
bbedit.

Post by Lee Blevi » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 18:42:45

> Possibly you have an issue with the carriage return line feed transition
> from PC to Mac?

That's my guess.

I found out from the customer today that the change they made was
Pagemaker 7.

Prior to this we had no problem with thier postscript files.

Post by CapTyp » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 18:21:14

>> Possibly you have an issue with the carriage return line feed transition
>> from PC to Mac?

> That's my guess.

> I found out from the customer today that the change they made was
> Pagemaker 7.

> Prior to this we had no problem with thier postscript files.

I am having major problems with PS files from PM7 in my impo prog. I have to
save the doc down then PS it from P65.

Squid

Post by John Doher » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 11:15:07

>> Possibly you have an issue with the carriage return line feed
>> transition from PC to Mac?

>That's my guess.

From what little you've said so far, it's a reasonable guess, and
may actually be correct. Only you can figure that out, though.

Quote:>I found out from the customer today that the change they made was
>Pagemaker 7.

>Prior to this we had no problem with thier postscript files.

How exactly is it that you intend to blame PM7 for your problems
with PC-to-mac line ending conversions? :-) Even for someone who
hates PM as much as you do, that's going to be a bit of a stretch.

--

Post by Lee Blevi » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 18:49:33

> >I found out from the customer today that the change they made was
> >Pagemaker 7.

> >Prior to this we had no problem with thier postscript files.

> How exactly is it that you intend to blame PM7 for your problems
> with PC-to-mac line ending conversions? :-) Even for someone who
> hates PM as much as you do, that's going to be a bit of a stretch.

The client used PM6.52 on the same pc on the same os prior to this
problem. We could process those files either way.

Seems pretty conclusive doesn't it in proving that the problem is most
likely something to do with the installation of PM7 on the machine?

Nothing else on the machine changed.

Post by John Doher » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 00:29:31

> > >I found out from the customer today that the change they made was
> > >Pagemaker 7.

> > >Prior to this we had no problem with thier postscript files.

> > How exactly is it that you intend to blame PM7 for your problems
> > with PC-to-mac line ending conversions? :-) Even for someone who
> > hates PM as much as you do, that's going to be a bit of a stretch.

> The client used PM6.52 on the same pc on the same os prior to this
> problem. We could process those files either way.

> Seems pretty conclusive doesn't it in proving that the problem is most
> likely something to do with the installation of PM7 on the machine?

Not in the least, especially if it turns out that your problem was
caused by software that converted line endings and screwed up the
PS file. In that case, the fact that they used PM7 is just a
meaningless coincidence.

Quote:> Nothing else on the machine changed.

But it doesn't sound like the problem occurred on that machine.

--

Post by Lee Blevi » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 07:26:53

> Not in the least, especially if it turns out that your problem was
> caused by software that converted line endings and screwed up the
> PS file. In that case, the fact that they used PM7 is just a
> meaningless coincidence.

> > Nothing else on the machine changed.

> But it doesn't sound like the problem occurred on that machine.

I don't think you're following me here.

Our process remains unchanged. We have received the files the same way
all along, placed them on our server the same way, nothing has changed.

The only change in this scenario is the installation of PM7 on the
clients machine.

1. Is /dev/null really null under 1.3???

Under 1.3d, if I execute the command     cat /dev/null >list
then Minix madly reads from my harddisk and writes to the file list.
Query:  Is this unique to me?  Or is it an undocumented feature of 1.3?
(Prayer: God, please let it not be unique to me.  I've had about all the
fun I can stand, just updating from 1.2 to 1.3!!)

2. SPICE Help needed

3. Need help on selecting Null and non-NULL fields

4. MPI_Init/Finalize more than once?

5. Changing from NOT NULL to NULL

6. Accessing a workspace variable from a function

7. Fw: [NOVICE] Null and Not Null

8. DllImport vs #import

9. Null and Not Null

10. DOS PC <-> Null Modem <-> Linux PC

11. Error in Assignment(Null)

12. Null Value in Pivot Table returning DIV/0 error in Excel