Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by R. » Fri, 04 May 2001 23:28:20

Sys: Mac G3
Software: QuarkXpress 3.3
OS: 8.5

I am trying to create a keystroke to perform the "Make Fraction" style in
the Quark menu.  But when I use ResEdit to view Quark's menus, "Make
Fraction" is not there.  I have determined it is not there because it is a
function of the "Thing-a-ma-Bob" Xtension.

But Xtensions don't have conventionally accessable menus for me to edit with
ResEdit.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Basically my problem is that I have to convert thousands of "1/2" and "1/4"
etc. to proper fractions and a keystroke will save my life rather than going
into the menu every time.

Other alternatives are QuicKeys or macros but I don't own those programs.

Help?

R.

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by William F. Ada » Fri, 04 May 2001 23:57:17

skytone said:

Quote:>Basically my problem is that I have to convert thousands of "1/2" and "1/4"
>etc. to proper fractions and a keystroke will save my life rather than going
>into the menu every time.

Have you investigated exporting the text as xtags, doing the search and replace
there and re-importing?

'course if Quark used a text-based fileformat and you were on Mac OS X, you
could use sed to do this trivially :/

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by Del Tre » Sat, 05 May 2001 05:19:04

Quote:>skytone said:
>>Basically my problem is that I have to convert thousands of "1/2" and "1/4"
>>etc. to proper fractions and a keystroke will save my life rather than going
>>into the menu every time.

>Have you investigated exporting the text as xtags, doing the search and replace
>there and re-importing?

>'course if Quark used a text-based fileformat and you were on Mac OS X, you
>could use sed to do this trivially :/

Alternatively you could use Quirk on a PC which sets "proper" fractions
by the simple expedient of hitting alt+0188 ( quarter - ?) and alt+0189
(half - ?).
By golly it'll even manage ? (three-quarters) with alt+0190.

Ah, the magic of the PC! :o)
--
Del Tree

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by William F. Ada » Sat, 05 May 2001 06:01:40

del said:

Quote:>Alternatively you could use Quirk on a PC which sets "proper" fractions
>by the simple expedient of hitting alt+0188 ( quarter - ?) and alt+0189
>(half - ?).
>By golly it'll even manage ? (three-quarters) with alt+0190.

'n if one installs All Char for Windows, one can get such characters for three
keystrokes instead of four-five (depending on how one counts it).

<right alt> 12
<right alt> 14
<right alt> 34

Available from somewhere near www.whiteants.com (may not be an ``s'' on that)

Free too. Not quite as nice as the DEC Compose utility it's modeled on, but a
scrolling pop-up window with font changing seems not to be possible with Win32.
:(

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by Vic Forsma » Sat, 05 May 2001 20:37:02

William,

The link works with the s but it takes you to a page that says the site
doesn't exist any more and has another link for you to click for All Char
which takes you to a page with no info whatsoever about All Char.

Basically, you cannot this anymore. Bummer!

Vic

Quote:> del said:
> >Alternatively you could use Quirk on a PC which sets "proper" fractions
> >by the simple expedient of hitting alt+0188 ( quarter - ?) and alt+0189
> >(half - ?).
> >By golly it'll even manage ? (three-quarters) with alt+0190.

> 'n if one installs All Char for Windows, one can get such characters for
three
> keystrokes instead of four-five (depending on how one counts it).

> <right alt> 12
> <right alt> 14
> <right alt> 34

> Available from somewhere near www.whiteants.com (may not be an ``s'' on
that)

> Free too. Not quite as nice as the DEC Compose utility it's modeled on,
but a
> scrolling pop-up window with font changing seems not to be possible with
Win32.
> :(

> William

> --
> William Adams
> http://members.aol.com/willadams
> Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by William F. Ada » Sat, 05 May 2001 23:55:59

vic_forsman said:

Quote:>The link works with the s but it takes you to a page that says the site
>doesn't exist any more and has another link for you to click for All Char
>which takes you to a page with no info whatsoever about All Char.

>Basically, you cannot this anymore. Bummer!

A Google search on ``all chars for windows'' returned this site as a reference
in the first result:

http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

Enjoy!

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by Badia Softwar » Thu, 10 May 2001 01:04:16

Quote:> Sys: Mac G3
> Software: QuarkXpress 3.3
> OS: 8.5

> I am trying to create a keystroke to perform the "Make Fraction" style in
> the Quark menu.  But when I use ResEdit to view Quark's menus, "Make
> Fraction" is not there.  I have determined it is not there because it is a
> function of the "Thing-a-ma-Bob" Xtension.

> Does anyone know how to do this?

Get QuicKeys, http://www.cesoft.com/

It's a must-have on Mac IMO. Another good macro utility is OneClick.

Or upgrade to QXP4 and wait for our new forthcoming XTension that will let
you customize shortcuts in QuarkXPress.

Best,

Leo Revzin
Badia Software
New Solutions for QuarkXPress
http://www.badiaxt.com

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by Marek Willia » Fri, 11 May 2001 03:30:09

Quote:>Alternatively you could use Quirk on a PC which sets "proper" fractions
>by the simple expedient of hitting alt+0188 ( quarter - ?) and alt+0189
>(half - ?).
>By golly it'll even manage ? (three-quarters) with alt+0190.

>Ah, the magic of the PC! :o)

And what do you do if you need some one quarters, some halves, and
also sometimes a fraction like "231/2470"?

The problem with the latter is that the "build fraction" utilities
available for QuarkXPress, PageMaker, etc. use the superscript and
subscript type attribute, that is, they take the same font that the
rest of the sentence is set in, reduce the point size of the numerals,
and adjust the baseline for them. This looks fine until you stick a
real ?, ? or ? using the Alt+code in the same line. The fractions made
with the Alt+code look darker and more professional.

Try this on a Windows machine: Using a font that has an expert set,
set the ?, ? and ? using the Alt+code in the base font, followed by
the same fractions using the "build fraction" utility. You'll see what
I mean that the "build fraction" utility doesn't match. (You may have
to make a printout to see it clearly.)

Now set the ?, ? and ? with the Alt+code again. But this time follow
them with the same numerals using the superscript and subscript
numerals from the expert set font. And use the special slash
(virgule?) in the expert font too. Now you will discover that the
characters all match. The superscript and subscript numerals in the
expert set are designed to match perfectly the ?, ? and ? in the base
font. (At least this works for all fonts that I use where I have an
expert set.)

And now, if you need to set "231/2470" you can do so to match the ?, ?
or ?, and look totally professional as well. I find the easiest way to
do this is to use Character Map. I just double-click on each numeral
from the expert set to create them all in the window in Character Map,
then copy and paste the whole fraction into the document.
Unfortunately, I usually use InDesign these days, and copying from
Character Map does not retain the font selection. So the pasted text
comes in as the base font, which gives me a bizarre set of characters
until I select them all and apply the expert font to them. It's dumb
to have to go that extra step.

I'm sure someone could write a script to automate using the true
superscript and subscript characters from the expert font. As far as I
know there are none available for the major layout apps that do so,
however. They all just fake it from the base font.

Don't reply to the e-mail address in the header. It's bogus. But
I read the newsgroup every day so post here.

Fractions, Resedit & Quark

Post by William F. Ada » Fri, 11 May 2001 11:14:15

abc said:
<snip> description of the agonies of properly setting fractions on a Mac or PC
using a WYSIWYG program.

Quote:>I'm sure someone could write a script to automate using the true
>superscript and subscript characters from the expert font. As far as I
>know there are none available for the major layout apps that do so,
>however. They all just fake it from the base font.

Well, there's always TeX....

Or, OpenType and QuickDraw/GX fonts (the latter survive in Mac OS X as
AAT/ATSUI fonts) which can be setup to properly handle such niceties.

William

--
William Adams
http://members.aol.com/willadams
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.

1. Fractions in Quark 4 on a Mac

Subject line pretty much says it. I've managed to figure out a flimsy way of
doing lots of these by superscripting the numerator and subscripting the
denominator and placing a backslash in between but it's unprofessional.
What's the proper way of doing this on a Mac as I can't find fractions in
Key Caps at all.

TIA,
Paul

2. Books for Intermediate Level

3. Making fractions with Quark

4. Hover buttons vs. mouse over script

5. Quark Mac Make Fraction Hot Key?

6. TCPIP Printer - Specifying form type

7. FS:Zen & Art of Resedit NEW with CD-ROM

8. AOL Cable modem & Cisco VPN software

9. &#51473;&#44397;&#44288;&#47144; &#44160;&#49353;&#50644;&#51652;

10. Quark & Hairlines & Prepress

11. !!!!! ** DTP, Quark & Illustrator Tips & Tricks Site ** !!!!!