Illustrator 7 prepress problems

Post by Sterling Lede » Fri, 23 May 1997 04:00:00

For those of you who have not yet seen it, be prepared for major new
nightmares with the new Illustrator 7. One of the things that will cause you
much agony is that they have done away with the Custom Colors feature and
replaced it with optional swatches, a la Photoshop. These swatches do not
have to be there for spot plates, and only very loosely correspond to the
colors used in the job.

The major problem is that if someone cuts and pastes (or drag drops) an
object into an  Illustrator file that contains spot colors already used in
the document, you can often get two plates with the very same name. This
will definitely happen if one of the spot colors is mismatched as to CMYK
build. It may happen in other situations according to the Readme. In other
words, spot color separations are no longer managed by Color name. You can
have an Illustrator file that is actually defined to have two separate
Pantone 101 CVC plates.

The report of spot colors under File->Document Info is not accurate. If the
situation described above exists in the file, only a single plate will be
listed. The only way to know the problem exists is to choose Separation
Setup and see how many plates are set to print. Once you discover the
problem, you have to manually hunt through the file by clicking on
individual objects to see where the problem occurs. If the two color plates
do have the same name and the same CMYK build, a filter exists to merge
them, but this doesn't work if the file has more than one problem of this
nature. Here's a quote from Sandee Cohen, author if the Illustrator Wow Book
(from the ILLSTRTR mailing list I maintain):

Quote:>Second, Merge Spot Colors works, but only if you have only one set on
>multiple colors. If you have two or more sets (like 2 Spot Blues, and 3
Spot
>Reds) Merge Colors won't work. That is because Merge Spot Colors is really
>just a selection routine. When you invoke it, all that happens is that all
>colors with duplicate names are selected. In the example above, all five of
>the colors would be selected. And you wouldn't have a way to select just
the
>duplicate Blues or the duplicate Reds.
>Third, if you import a document with duplicate spot color names into
>QuarkXPress, you get two different plates. The names of the color is
changed
>to reflect the duplication (Spot Blue- 1, Spot Blue- 2. However the - is
>actually a non-printing character box.) Service Bureaus that encounter
these
>duplicate names will have to go into the Illustrator file to fix the
>duplication.
>Finally, in addition to copy and paste, or drag and drop, there is a
somewhat
>esoteric, yet rather simple way to also generate duplicate spot color names
>without working between two different documents. This involved making a
tint
>of a spot color and then storing that tint in the swatches palette.

There's a number of other designer related problems with the new tint
architecture, that shouldn't effect prepress that much, but the above
problems is bound to be a prepress nightmare. Start warning your preflight
crew now.

Illustrator 7 prepress problems

Post by Brian John » Sun, 25 May 1997 04:00:00

Another problem is Adobe's decision to maintain the same type/creator
codes for Illustrator 7 files as Illustrator 6 (and 5.5). When you
install Illustrator 7, all your Illustrator 6 files adopt the new icon,
and double-clicking on them launches version 7.

The readme file with v7 indicates a change in the way Illustrator
calculates character spacing and included a warning that text from
earlier Illustrator versions may reflow!

In a service bureau context, this is a DISASTER!

We output techs have NO WAY to identify an Illustrator 6 file from an
Illustrator 7 file without opening the file in a text editor and looking
at the Postscript header. UGH. How are we to prevent reflows caused by
using the wrong version?

I think any prepress service bureau would agree Adobe is leading us all
into potential problems and unhappy clients because of this. Let's all
call our AASP representative and/or tech support people and request
Adobe change this on their first bug-fix release for Illustrator 7!

Also, while the new icons are pretty and I appreciate the unity among
all the Adobe product icons, the "medium" icon no longer indicates a
difference between a native-Illustrator file and an EPS-Illustrator
file! You can't tell "at a glance" if a client saved the file as EPS or
as native Illustrator.

Does anyone like having Fill, Stroke, "None," Overprint, and color
swatches spread across five separate palettes? I've docked everything
together to make all the tools I need available when trapping visible at
once. Now I have a palette larger than the old Paint palette...good
thing I've got a 20" monitor!

--
-=[ Brian ]=-

CLEVER TAG LINE QUOTE . . . . . . UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Illustrator 7 prepress problems

Post by Bill Carberr » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

(in summary)

Quote:> Let's all call our AASP representative and/or tech support people
> and request Adobe change this on their first bug-fix release
> for Illustrator 7!

You certainly have my vote on these issues, this is simply unacceptable
and downright dreadful!

A MAJOR credibility and integrity loss for Adobe in the prepress arena
is at stake here.

Just what was the thinking here and will the Adobe Illustrator 7 Product
Manager please BRAVELY stand up?

> [...]

> > >duplicate names will have to go into the Illustrator file to fix the
> > >duplication.

> > >Finally, in addition to copy and paste, or drag and drop, there is a
> > somewhat
> > >esoteric, yet rather simple way to also generate duplicate spot color names
> > >without working between two different documents. This involved making a
> > tint
> > >of a spot color and then storing that tint in the swatches palette.

> > There's a number of other designer related problems with the new tint
> > architecture, that shouldn't effect prepress that much, but the above
> > problems is bound to be a prepress nightmare. Start warning your preflight
> > crew now.

> --
> -=[ Brian ]=-

> CLEVER TAG LINE QUOTE . . . . . . UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Post by JCKarch » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Is there anybody out there who actually likes the changes in Illustrator?
To me, it's like Porsche redesigning the 911 an putting the engine in
front.

JCK

Post by LB » Sun, 08 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> Is there anybody out there who actually likes the changes in Illustrator?
> To me, it's like Porsche redesigning the 911 an putting the engine in
> front.

I've seen no major problems so far. Yes, the interface has changed and
is causing users to relearn things a bit, but other than that, nothing.

Putting the engine in front is a pretty radical change. Changing the
interface, key commands, etc. is more inline with updating the body
style... it's style a Porsche.

What problems are you experiencing?

On what equipment?

1. Illustrator 7.0.1 and Prepress

I have had a number of problems with Illustrator 7.0.1 on the Mac.
Our basic workflow is receive Quark doc with Illustrator and Freehand
EPS placed combine with scans and RIP to Scitex VIP. (I know, Scitex!
well you have to work with what you got.)
 Regardless of the RIP software I have heard a lot about AI and Quark
not getting along. I'm lead of our desktop dept. and in a week I need to
have a meeting with our clients and figure out some work around for this
wonderful update that Adobe has dropped in my lap.

  I will be glad to help with any work arounds I have come up with to
get passed the RIP software.

Thanks
Ryan

2. office 2000

3. "Illustrator EPS" vs. "Illustrator" save option

4. Detail Sheet Assembly

5. Mac Illustrator->PC Illustrator - Chunky EPS HELP

6. Help! A500 Joystick port Problem

7. Mac Prepress to PC Prepress book?

8. PPI modem reset troubles

9. problems creating PDFs in Illustrator 9

10. Illustrator creates very big PDF files problem

11. Illustrator to PDF problem

12. PDF output from Illustrator 6.0 problem...

13. Problems viewing GhostScript 7 PDF files with Adobe Illustrator 8&9...