VERY short-run printing options 1-250 pcs - NEED INFO!

VERY short-run printing options 1-250 pcs - NEED INFO!

Post by Bob Burdea » Mon, 13 Mar 1995 04:30:58

I am interested in finding out options for very short run color reproductions
who's end product will be on either canvas or, if not, on paper.  Size may
range from 8"x10" to 20"x24" image size, and will probably require at least a
2"-3" nonprinted border around the image (so 8x10 would require about 12x1 or
so).

I am not sure if the best option would be to look at a computer printer
like an inkjet, which would be a lot slower at output than a press, or if
there is a very short-run press option that would work well.

The image would be mostly painted artwork, with the emphasis on the ease of
processing, fairly low-cost, decent color reproduction.

I realize that larger 20"x24" size makes things more expensive, especially
since most inexpensive equipment would be something like 11"x17" printers or
press, which would work for 8"x10" images if it took oversized paper (12"x19").

Are there any hybrid machines out there that directly output files (like TIFF
or EPS) to the press or a direct-to-plate printing option?

What about price range?  What can I do for $5-15,000 range?

I hear Tektronix printers accept lots of different media, but is canvas ok?
I also need info on cost per piece and ease of use/setup/cleanup.

Thanks in advance for any help in this matter.

Post by Paul Rauschelba » Wed, 15 Mar 1995 03:05:22

> I am interested in finding out options for very short run color reproductions
> who's end product will be on either canvas or, if not, on paper.  Size may
> range from 8"x10" to 20"x24" image size, and will probably require at least a
> 2"-3" nonprinted border around the image (so 8x10 would require about 12x1 or
> so).
> What about price range?  What can I do for $5-15,000 range?

> I hear Tektronix printers accept lots of different media, but is canvas ok?
> I also need info on cost per piece and ease of use/setup/cleanup.

You won't find any printer that works with canvas in that price range.
You'll have to find someone with a drum based ink jet printer (IRIS 3000
series, Stork, or others, probably not of high enough quality) to print on
canvas. If the effect you're trying to achieve is that of an oil painting
that's not what you're going to get. It looks more like dyed fabric (like
clothing).

Hewlett Packard sells a plotter that can do the complete size range that
you've indicated. It sells for $9,995 retail, and can do widths of up to
24" (I think they have a 36" model for $3000 more), and any length. It may
have some material thickness limitations, and the ink may not stick
correctly, but you could put any kind of paper through it. They work
extremely well, but are a bit slow. A very large number of people have
come out with PostScript RIPs for the plotter, but it doesn't sound like
you'll need one.

Good luck,

--

1. IRWIN 250 MB Streamer Info needed

Hi guys,

just got hold of a IRWIN accutrak external 250 meg streamer.
It's called AccuTrak A250E.

It's said to need a 4251 Interface board, 4100 Controller board or a
4100MC Controller board. I do not have any of these.

I opened the cas and found a IRWIN 2080/A250, Product ID 285 ZCE-21 drive
in there which I assume is a 'standard' 250 MB IRWIN drive.
But the board has no connector for the 5V/12V connector. Instead it has a
28 (!) -pin connector which attaches to a adapter board which is the connection
to an external cable.

Does somebody out there know how to make a cable that I could use to drive
this backup unit on a floppy controller (since my guess it that it belongs
there) ?

Or, does someone out there have one of the controllers mentioned above
(except the MC controller, which I guess is for the Microchannel type of
machines).

Or is it just another adapter board that I need to get to connect this
beast to anything else but one of the controllers mentioned above ?

ANY help will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks in advance

Matthias

P.S. I have a older IRWIN 125 also with a 5,25" board attached to it.
     Could I use any of this stuff with the 250 MB drive ?

2. Bookmarks Don't Show in Hyperlinks

3. Short run digital printing - need recommendations

4. Palm vs Handspring Sales?

5. Jumbo trakker 250 tape drive - run on win95 ?

6. Running demo for Falcon!!!

7. Seagate 250 information needed

8. ERROR! "Workstation driver is not installed"

9. Need Drivers IOMEGA tape 250

10. UK short run print quotes required

11. Best Inkjet for short run printing of leaflets

12. Advice on short run print job wanted

13. Looking for short-run printer London, UK