FP98, Server extensions and upload

Post by Bo Edstr » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have taken over a website that is hosted on a webserver that use
Frontpage Server Extensions.

I can manage the site and do all changes _Online_ with Frontpage 98
I connect to the site with FP98 (and log in with a username and
password) and see the whole site in FP98 Explorer/Editor.

But this seems an expensive way of editing webpages -Online all the
time. I have always worked with websites _Offline_ and used a FTP
program to transfer whole sites or changes.

So can I work _Offline_ with the whole site(I did a reverse copy to my
harddisk so I have it here on my C: disk) and some way get the pages
transfered to the rootwebb where the homepage is?

I know a FTP program can not be used to upload files when Frontpage
Server Extensions are involved.

Thanks,
Bo

FP98, Server extensions and upload

Post by TennisNu » Mon, 19 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

Normally  you would create a local web, then "Publish" to the www. You could
probably create an empty web(locally), then File | Import | From a WWW     all
the files & folders from your site on the web.  I think you may also be able to
"publish" back to your local web from the www, but I'm still trying to find out
how  to do that.  Sorry, if I'm not very helpful, but these are some things to
look into.

Ginnie

FP98, Server extensions and upload

Post by Ange » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

After opening the web, select file/publish frontpage web, then tell it where
you want to publish it to on your local machine.  I usually create a local
web with the same name first in fp explorer.  Then publish it to that
folder.

>Hi,

>I have taken over a website that is hosted on a webserver that use
>Frontpage Server Extensions.

>I can manage the site and do all changes _Online_ with Frontpage 98
>I connect to the site with FP98 (and log in with a username and
>password) and see the whole site in FP98 Explorer/Editor.

>But this seems an expensive way of editing webpages -Online all the
>time. I have always worked with websites _Offline_ and used a FTP
>program to transfer whole sites or changes.

>So can I work _Offline_ with the whole site(I did a reverse copy to my
>harddisk so I have it here on my C: disk) and some way get the pages
>transfered to the rootwebb where the homepage is?

>I know a FTP program can not be used to upload files when Frontpage
>Server Extensions are involved.

>Thanks,
>Bo

FP98, Server extensions and upload

Post by Lon Cole » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Importing from the www will lose any navigation structure you had in place
and can also lose theme settings

You can open the web live on the remote server by opening FP, the selecting
open FPweb, more web and typing in the full URL to the published site. Then
you can simply use the normal publish feature to send it back to you local
machine.

select file/publish and type in the location on your local machine you want
the web to reside

Lon--
http://www.ariadne-webdesign.co.uk