FP98 - Continious Upload/No server?

Post by Scott Kenne » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I think I goofed somewhere!

A few weeks ago for various reasons I reformatted my hard drive. To back
up all the data, including my Frontpage stuff, I went into the Frontpage
Webs/Content and copied the two web pages I had in there. One was my
personal web page, and the other was the one I do for my church. I
copied the entire contents of the "Content" directory to a Zip disk, and
merrily reformatted.

I reinstalled FrontPage 98, and went to "import" my old pages. Well for
some reason that didn't work. Then I told it to "search for other webs".
I copied both web pages back to my hard drive under separate
directorates and let the program go find them. After searching it found
both, but now every time I update my web page and go to publish, it
wants to upload the ENTIRE contents of my web page, even only if a
couple of things changed. Also, the "web server" that used to pop up is
now gone, and while I'm updating, it's not a nice continuous update. I
notice several things on my web page that stay "broken".

How should I resolve this? For a while I also had "host unknown"
problems, and discovered I changed the name of my computer upon
reformatting. I since renamed it to what it was when I made the pages.

Any ideas or suggestions? should I delete Frontpage 98 and reinstall?
What's the proper way to "import" an existing web?

Scotty

FP98 - Continious Upload/No server?

Post by Thomas A. Row » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Since this is a new install of FP, you must publish the complete site(s) at least one time to sync
the copies.

--

====================================
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

>I think I goofed somewhere!

>A few weeks ago for various reasons I reformatted my hard drive. To back
>up all the data, including my Frontpage stuff, I went into the Frontpage
>Webs/Content and copied the two web pages I had in there. One was my
>personal web page, and the other was the one I do for my church. I
>copied the entire contents of the "Content" directory to a Zip disk, and
>merrily reformatted.

>I reinstalled FrontPage 98, and went to "import" my old pages. Well for
>some reason that didn't work. Then I told it to "search for other webs".
>I copied both web pages back to my hard drive under separate
>directorates and let the program go find them. After searching it found
>both, but now every time I update my web page and go to publish, it
>wants to upload the ENTIRE contents of my web page, even only if a
>couple of things changed. Also, the "web server" that used to pop up is
>now gone, and while I'm updating, it's not a nice continuous update. I
>notice several things on my web page that stay "broken".

>How should I resolve this? For a while I also had "host unknown"
>problems, and discovered I changed the name of my computer upon
>reformatting. I since renamed it to what it was when I made the pages.

>Any ideas or suggestions? should I delete Frontpage 98 and reinstall?
>What's the proper way to "import" an existing web?

>Scotty

FP98 - Continious Upload/No server?

Post by Scott Kenne » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I've done that, got out of the program, played some games, and came back in. I made a few updates,
and it wants to publish everything again!

curious!

ScottyK

> Since this is a new install of FP, you must publish the complete site(s) at least one time to sync
> the copies.

> --

> ====================================
> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
> FrontPage Resources, Email Discussion List,
> Newsletter, WebRing, etc.

> >I think I goofed somewhere!

> >A few weeks ago for various reasons I reformatted my hard drive. To back
> >up all the data, including my Frontpage stuff, I went into the Frontpage
> >Webs/Content and copied the two web pages I had in there. One was my
> >personal web page, and the other was the one I do for my church. I
> >copied the entire contents of the "Content" directory to a Zip disk, and
> >merrily reformatted.

> >I reinstalled FrontPage 98, and went to "import" my old pages. Well for
> >some reason that didn't work. Then I told it to "search for other webs".
> >I copied both web pages back to my hard drive under separate
> >directorates and let the program go find them. After searching it found
> >both, but now every time I update my web page and go to publish, it
> >wants to upload the ENTIRE contents of my web page, even only if a
> >couple of things changed. Also, the "web server" that used to pop up is
> >now gone, and while I'm updating, it's not a nice continuous update. I
> >notice several things on my web page that stay "broken".

> >How should I resolve this? For a while I also had "host unknown"
> >problems, and discovered I changed the name of my computer upon
> >reformatting. I since renamed it to what it was when I made the pages.

> >Any ideas or suggestions? should I delete Frontpage 98 and reinstall?
> >What's the proper way to "import" an existing web?

> >Scotty

FP98 - Continious Upload/No server?

Post by Thomas A. Row » Fri, 30 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Make sure to publish with "Change Pages Only" unchecked, then open the remote site in FPExplorer and
run Recalculate Hyperlinks, then publish a second time with it checked.

--