Importing Themes

Post by WM » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

This may be a stupid question, but I cannot read the document that is in
the SDK on the FP98 CD!

A friend of mine is a graphic artist who has designed a theme with the
These Designer, done the bit about download and posted me the resulting
elm, utf8 and info files.

I have tried creating a directory in the themes area, but it does not
show. The Theme Designer will only open "registered" themes.

How do I get it into the general thick of things and make it available?
Any help please?

Importing Themes

Post by Dave Ritte » Sun, 22 Mar 1998 04:00:00

The Theme designer document on the SDK kit directory is written in Word 7, I
think.  One of Microsoft's maneuvers to get customers to upgrade from the
previous edition of Word.  Documents in the most recent version of Word may not
be compatible with previous versions.  Seems to be part of the strategy keep
customers in the Microsoft fold.  Anyway, if you don't have the latest version
of Word you can download a Word reader/veiwer from one of the Microsoft sites.

Dave Ritter
Pine Lane Resources L.L.C.
Regulatory and Hazard Communication
http://www.1pinelane.com

--------

> This may be a stupid question, but I cannot read the document that is in
> the SDK on the FP98 CD!

> A friend of mine is a graphic artist who has designed a theme with the
> These Designer, done the bit about download and posted me the resulting
> elm, utf8 and info files.

> I have tried creating a directory in the themes area, but it does not
> show. The Theme Designer will only open "registered" themes.

> How do I get it into the general thick of things and make it available?
> Any help please?

Importing Themes

Post by Al Heig » Tue, 24 Mar 1998 04:00:00

> A friend of mine is a graphic artist who has designed a theme with the
> These Designer, done the bit about download and posted me the
> resulting elm, utf8 and info files.

> I have tried creating a directory in the themes area, but it does not
> show. The Theme Designer will only open "registered" themes.

I've "imported" an external theme -- don't recall any problems, but on
the other hand, I don't recall if I did anything special.  TD does
require knowing both a long and short name for the theme, so I
probably tweaked an .ini file or registry entry.

Try this -- open any existing theme, then do a "Save As" and give the
long and short names that you want for your friend's theme.  Then shut
down TD and use Windows Explorer to replace those saved theme files with
your friend's files.  That should do it.

--

Al Heigl
Mill City Records

Importing Themes

Post by WM » Wed, 25 Mar 1998 04:00:00

I thought the answer could be of some use to other people, for tis strange!
If you read the "help" on Microsoft's FAQ you will end up publishing and
getting people to visit the page with edit rights. This will force Frontpage
to download the theme.

There is of course a better way. If you place the stuff in the
frontpage\themes folder with a subfolder EXACTLY the same name as the
designer called it it appears as if by magic!

Hope it is of some use!

Jim

> This may be a stupid question, but I cannot read the document that is in
> the SDK on the FP98 CD!

> A friend of mine is a graphic artist who has designed a theme with the
> These Designer, done the bit about download and posted me the resulting
> elm, utf8 and info files.

> I have tried creating a directory in the themes area, but it does not
> show. The Theme Designer will only open "registered" themes.

> How do I get it into the general thick of things and make it available?
> Any help please?

1. Importing webs doesn't import themes with the process

I've read many postings in search for this little problem I'm having,
but nothing really answered my question.  Here's the scenario:

I have FP98 running on my box at home, Windows 95.  I have a completed
web on that machine, which I want to import to another 95 machine, and
installed FP98 on it already.  Now, I published the finished web from my
first computer to a zip disk.  Took that zip disk, and imported the web
to my new machine.  FP98 does import the web, and I see all the files in
FPExplorer, but when I open any file, it doesn't show any themes, and/or
other FrontPage components.  It just shows the regular gifs, words, and
that's it.  I'm running Personnel Web Server on both machine.  Any help
would be appreciated.

nizar d.

2. MTU on SMC Barricade 7004ABR

3. Shrinking Theme files......importing theme webs

4. Looking for software floating point package

5. Is there a way to importing themes?

6. Empty To: Field

7. Help - need to import theme!

8. DirectBits not supported

9. Importing Themes - Help

10. Importing Themes and Tutorial Book

11. Importing Theme's into FP98: Is this possible?

12. Importing Themes from FP2000

13. Importing Themes into FP2000