Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Robert Robbin » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 05:49:28



Hello Frontpage Experts,

Some of the web hosting companies I deal with disallow pings on their web
servers and this seems to cause a Frontpage Publish to fail with a TCP/IP
error. I believe the TCP/IP error message is generated by our ISP whenever a
web server appears to be unavailable. Does anyone know if Frontpage needs to
be able to ping a web server to complete a publish. Is there any way to work
around this problem. I do not have this problem with every web server, just
the ones that I cannot ping.

Robert Robbins
Web Developer

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Jabbersmit » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 06:48:17



Quote:> Hello Frontpage Experts,

> Some of the web hosting companies I deal with disallow pings on their web
> servers and this seems to cause a Frontpage Publish to fail with a TCP/IP
> error. I believe the TCP/IP error message is generated by our ISP whenever
a
> web server appears to be unavailable. Does anyone know if Frontpage needs
to
> be able to ping a web server to complete a publish. Is there any way to
work
> around this problem. I do not have this problem with every web server,
just
> the ones that I cannot ping.

> Robert Robbins
> Web Developer

FrontPage requires an HTTP connection to port 80 with no proxy in the way.
NAT to an internal machine or round robin IPs, or load balancers may not
work so well, but as a general rule if you can see the site with a browser,
you should be able to edit as far as connectivity goes.

PING is not used to connect, though sites that shut off ping are
"protecting" themselves from UDP packets, a move that has dubious value in a
lot of ways.  If the PING does not work and it used to, the connection has
probably gone down.

Try using "tracert hostname" (without the quotes) to make sure the
connection is good.  (Or www.traceroute.org to do the same thing)  That will
let you test the internet between you and the host server to see if you can
spot anything.

What do the web hosting companies say about the problem?  Do they have
extensions installed properly?

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Jimco Add-in » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:29:44


FrontPage will certainly work through a proxy.

--
Jim
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com
Come check out the new Web site!
=======================================
NEW SPAWN VERSION!
The latest version adds support for CSS, a Title
attribute, control over placement of popup
scripts, and MORE!




> > Hello Frontpage Experts,

> > Some of the web hosting companies I deal with disallow pings on their
web
> > servers and this seems to cause a Frontpage Publish to fail with a
TCP/IP
> > error. I believe the TCP/IP error message is generated by our ISP
whenever
> a
> > web server appears to be unavailable. Does anyone know if Frontpage
needs
> to
> > be able to ping a web server to complete a publish. Is there any way to
> work
> > around this problem. I do not have this problem with every web server,
> just
> > the ones that I cannot ping.

> > Robert Robbins
> > Web Developer

> FrontPage requires an HTTP connection to port 80 with no proxy in the way.
> NAT to an internal machine or round robin IPs, or load balancers may not
> work so well, but as a general rule if you can see the site with a
browser,
> you should be able to edit as far as connectivity goes.

> PING is not used to connect, though sites that shut off ping are
> "protecting" themselves from UDP packets, a move that has dubious value in
a
> lot of ways.  If the PING does not work and it used to, the connection has
> probably gone down.

> Try using "tracert hostname" (without the quotes) to make sure the
> connection is good.  (Or www.traceroute.org to do the same thing)  That
will
> let you test the internet between you and the host server to see if you
can
> spot anything.

> What do the web hosting companies say about the problem?  Do they have
> extensions installed properly?

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Robert Robbin » Thu, 10 Apr 2003 23:21:06


Hello Jabbersmith,

    I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING because I have
contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure. We are
using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem with other
web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two web hosting
companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common denominator.
Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem as
well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very similar to
the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
    I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages or
image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need this
to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage and then
publishing to our file server.

Robert Robbins
Web Developer




> > Hello Frontpage Experts,

> > Some of the web hosting companies I deal with disallow pings on their
web
> > servers and this seems to cause a Frontpage Publish to fail with a
TCP/IP
> > error. I believe the TCP/IP error message is generated by our ISP
whenever
> a
> > web server appears to be unavailable. Does anyone know if Frontpage
needs
> to
> > be able to ping a web server to complete a publish. Is there any way to
> work
> > around this problem. I do not have this problem with every web server,
> just
> > the ones that I cannot ping.

> > Robert Robbins
> > Web Developer

> FrontPage requires an HTTP connection to port 80 with no proxy in the way.
> NAT to an internal machine or round robin IPs, or load balancers may not
> work so well, but as a general rule if you can see the site with a
browser,
> you should be able to edit as far as connectivity goes.

> PING is not used to connect, though sites that shut off ping are
> "protecting" themselves from UDP packets, a move that has dubious value in
a
> lot of ways.  If the PING does not work and it used to, the connection has
> probably gone down.

> Try using "tracert hostname" (without the quotes) to make sure the
> connection is good.  (Or www.traceroute.org to do the same thing)  That
will
> let you test the internet between you and the host server to see if you
can
> spot anything.

> What do the web hosting companies say about the problem?  Do they have
> extensions installed properly?

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Jabbersmit » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:22:05



Quote:> Hello Jabbersmith,

>     I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING because I have
> contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure. We are
> using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem with other
> web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two web hosting
> companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common
denominator.
> Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem as
> well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very similar
to
> the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
>     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages or
> image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need
this
> to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage and
then
> publishing to our file server.

> Robert Robbins
> Web Developer

More than likely, in an unrelated yet hidden (to you) way they have not only
disallowed PING but other things required for FrontPage.

PING is NOT used by FrontPage.  It is however an ICMP packet, which are
sometimes disallowed. (In my opinion, not necessarily for good reasons, and
the secuity improvements gained by that action are arguable.) However I can
tell you I have personally set up firewalls to deny ICMP and still webs
accessed them just fine with FrontPage.  There is something else those hosts
are doing with their security setup that is causing the problem.

Quote:>     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages or
> image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need
this
> to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage and
then
> publishing to our file server.

Maybe they are limiting the number of requests per second.  You might have
better success with a dial-up line (ironically enough) which might reduce
the requests to under their threshold.  Note however that spiders will make
the same type of mass-requests against a web server occasionally too...so
they could be compromising the ability for your clients to get listed in
search engines.

Another possible reason for this symtom is a bandwidth throttle, which again
a dial-up line might reveal or cure.

Something the host is doing is mucking it up.  They may be too ignorant or
too uncooperative to fix it.  In that case your next move may be to tell
your clients their host choice may not be ideal for their purposes and that
they should consider calling up and threatening to move.

Quote:> Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem as
> well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very similar
to
> the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.

That's easy to isolate, use a different ISP temporarily to find out.  Or, if
the sites are using HTTPS, try connecting to them using that instead.  It
may bypass the crappy proxy your ISP uses.

Also, if you have not already, you should clear all temporary files (in your
computer, as well as FrontPage), in addition, delete all *.web files on your
computer.  You  may have problems due to the local cache FrontPage uses
being corrupted.

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by nickybo » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 01:31:24



Quote:> Hello Jabbersmith,

>     I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING because I have
> contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure. We are
> using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem with other
> web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two web hosting
> companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common
denominator.
> Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem as
> well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very similar
to
> the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
>     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages or
> image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need
this
> to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage and
then
> publishing to our file server.

Does that mean you are logging into the remote web and then publishing to
your own server (with ISA etc)?
only it could be something outgoing they are blocking in their firewall....

just a thought
nickyboy

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Robert Robbin » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 22:55:16


Hello Jabbersmith,

    It is not a problem with any temporary files on my system because I have
the same problem on any system on our network. You can view the exact error
message returned at this web page I created:
http://www.knwsupport.com/problem_report.htm
I think Frontpage uses WebDAV for many of its functions like file uploading
and some of the IIS lock down tools can limit WebDAV and create problems.

Robert Robbins
Web Developer




> > Hello Jabbersmith,

> >     I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING because I
have
> > contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure. We are
> > using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem with
other
> > web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two web
hosting
> > companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common
> denominator.
> > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem as
> > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very similar
> to
> > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
> >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages
or
> > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need
> this
> > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage and
> then
> > publishing to our file server.

> > Robert Robbins
> > Web Developer

> More than likely, in an unrelated yet hidden (to you) way they have not
only
> disallowed PING but other things required for FrontPage.

> PING is NOT used by FrontPage.  It is however an ICMP packet, which are
> sometimes disallowed. (In my opinion, not necessarily for good reasons,
and
> the secuity improvements gained by that action are arguable.) However I
can
> tell you I have personally set up firewalls to deny ICMP and still webs
> accessed them just fine with FrontPage.  There is something else those
hosts
> are doing with their security setup that is causing the problem.

> >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages
or
> > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need
> this
> > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage and
> then
> > publishing to our file server.

> Maybe they are limiting the number of requests per second.  You might have
> better success with a dial-up line (ironically enough) which might reduce
> the requests to under their threshold.  Note however that spiders will
make
> the same type of mass-requests against a web server occasionally too...so
> they could be compromising the ability for your clients to get listed in
> search engines.

> Another possible reason for this symtom is a bandwidth throttle, which
again
> a dial-up line might reveal or cure.

> Something the host is doing is mucking it up.  They may be too ignorant or
> too uncooperative to fix it.  In that case your next move may be to tell
> your clients their host choice may not be ideal for their purposes and
that
> they should consider calling up and threatening to move.

> > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem as
> > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very similar
> to
> > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.

> That's easy to isolate, use a different ISP temporarily to find out.  Or,
if
> the sites are using HTTPS, try connecting to them using that instead.  It
> may bypass the crappy proxy your ISP uses.

> Also, if you have not already, you should clear all temporary files (in
your
> computer, as well as FrontPage), in addition, delete all *.web files on
your
> computer.  You  may have problems due to the local cache FrontPage uses
> being corrupted.

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Jimco Add-in » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:17:47


FrontPage does not use DAV.  You can always get a Netmon trace to see what's
going on.

--
Jim
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com
Come check out the new Web site!
=======================================
NEW SPAWN VERSION!
The latest version adds support for CSS, a Title
attribute, control over placement of popup
scripts, and MORE!


> Hello Jabbersmith,

>     It is not a problem with any temporary files on my system because I
have
> the same problem on any system on our network. You can view the exact
error
> message returned at this web page I created:
> http://www.knwsupport.com/problem_report.htm
> I think Frontpage uses WebDAV for many of its functions like file
uploading
> and some of the IIS lock down tools can limit WebDAV and create problems.

> Robert Robbins
> Web Developer





> > > Hello Jabbersmith,

> > >     I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING because I
> have
> > > contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure. We
are
> > > using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem with
> other
> > > web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two web
> hosting
> > > companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common
> > denominator.
> > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem
as
> > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
similar
> > to
> > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
> > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages
> or
> > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need
> > this
> > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage
and
> > then
> > > publishing to our file server.

> > > Robert Robbins
> > > Web Developer

> > More than likely, in an unrelated yet hidden (to you) way they have not
> only
> > disallowed PING but other things required for FrontPage.

> > PING is NOT used by FrontPage.  It is however an ICMP packet, which are
> > sometimes disallowed. (In my opinion, not necessarily for good reasons,
> and
> > the secuity improvements gained by that action are arguable.) However I
> can
> > tell you I have personally set up firewalls to deny ICMP and still webs
> > accessed them just fine with FrontPage.  There is something else those
> hosts
> > are doing with their security setup that is causing the problem.

> > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web pages
> or
> > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly need
> > this
> > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage
and
> > then
> > > publishing to our file server.

> > Maybe they are limiting the number of requests per second.  You might
have
> > better success with a dial-up line (ironically enough) which might
reduce
> > the requests to under their threshold.  Note however that spiders will
> make
> > the same type of mass-requests against a web server occasionally
too...so
> > they could be compromising the ability for your clients to get listed in
> > search engines.

> > Another possible reason for this symtom is a bandwidth throttle, which
> again
> > a dial-up line might reveal or cure.

> > Something the host is doing is mucking it up.  They may be too ignorant
or
> > too uncooperative to fix it.  In that case your next move may be to tell
> > your clients their host choice may not be ideal for their purposes and
> that
> > they should consider calling up and threatening to move.

> > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem
as
> > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
similar
> > to
> > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.

> > That's easy to isolate, use a different ISP temporarily to find out.
Or,
> if
> > the sites are using HTTPS, try connecting to them using that instead.
It
> > may bypass the crappy proxy your ISP uses.

> > Also, if you have not already, you should clear all temporary files (in
> your
> > computer, as well as FrontPage), in addition, delete all *.web files on
> your
> > computer.  You  may have problems due to the local cache FrontPage uses
> > being corrupted.

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Tom Pepper Willet » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:37:16


As I understand, Jim, FP server extensions require WEB DAV to publish.
There was a discussion about this recently in the IIS newsgroup. Correct me
if I'm wrong.

--
------------------------------
Tom Pepper Willett
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
------------------------------

| FrontPage does not use DAV.  You can always get a Netmon trace to see
what's
| going on.
|
| --
| Jim
| Jimco Add-ins
| http://www.jimcoaddins.com
| Come check out the new Web site!
| =======================================
| NEW SPAWN VERSION!
| The latest version adds support for CSS, a Title
| attribute, control over placement of popup
| scripts, and MORE!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|


| > Hello Jabbersmith,
| >
| >     It is not a problem with any temporary files on my system because I
| have
| > the same problem on any system on our network. You can view the exact
| error
| > message returned at this web page I created:
| > http://www.knwsupport.com/problem_report.htm
| > I think Frontpage uses WebDAV for many of its functions like file
| uploading
| > and some of the IIS lock down tools can limit WebDAV and create
problems.
| >
| > Robert Robbins
| > Web Developer
| >
| >


| > >


| > > > Hello Jabbersmith,
| > > >
| > > >     I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING because
I
| > have
| > > > contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure. We
| are
| > > > using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem with
| > other
| > > > web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two web
| > hosting
| > > > companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common
| > > denominator.
| > > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem
| as
| > > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
| similar
| > > to
| > > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
| > > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web
pages
| > or
| > > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly
need
| > > this
| > > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage
| and
| > > then
| > > > publishing to our file server.
| > > >
| > > > Robert Robbins
| > > > Web Developer
| > > >
| > >
| > > More than likely, in an unrelated yet hidden (to you) way they have
not
| > only
| > > disallowed PING but other things required for FrontPage.
| > >
| > > PING is NOT used by FrontPage.  It is however an ICMP packet, which
are
| > > sometimes disallowed. (In my opinion, not necessarily for good
reasons,
| > and
| > > the secuity improvements gained by that action are arguable.) However
I
| > can
| > > tell you I have personally set up firewalls to deny ICMP and still
webs
| > > accessed them just fine with FrontPage.  There is something else those
| > hosts
| > > are doing with their security setup that is causing the problem.
| > >
| > > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web
pages
| > or
| > > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly
need
| > > this
| > > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in Frontpage
| and
| > > then
| > > > publishing to our file server.
| > >
| > > Maybe they are limiting the number of requests per second.  You might
| have
| > > better success with a dial-up line (ironically enough) which might
| reduce
| > > the requests to under their threshold.  Note however that spiders will
| > make
| > > the same type of mass-requests against a web server occasionally
| too...so
| > > they could be compromising the ability for your clients to get listed
in
| > > search engines.
| > >
| > > Another possible reason for this symtom is a bandwidth throttle, which
| > again
| > > a dial-up line might reveal or cure.
| > >
| > > Something the host is doing is mucking it up.  They may be too
ignorant
| or
| > > too uncooperative to fix it.  In that case your next move may be to
tell
| > > your clients their host choice may not be ideal for their purposes and
| > that
| > > they should consider calling up and threatening to move.
| > >
| > > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a problem
| as
| > > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
| similar
| > > to
| > > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
| > >
| > > That's easy to isolate, use a different ISP temporarily to find out.
| Or,
| > if
| > > the sites are using HTTPS, try connecting to them using that instead.
| It
| > > may bypass the crappy proxy your ISP uses.
| > >
| > > Also, if you have not already, you should clear all temporary files
(in
| > your
| > > computer, as well as FrontPage), in addition, delete all *.web files
on
| > your
| > > computer.  You  may have problems due to the local cache FrontPage
uses
| > > being corrupted.
| > >
| > >
| >
| >
|
|

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Jimco Add-in » Fri, 11 Apr 2003 23:51:52


Yes, you're wrong.  :)  FrontPage does not talk DAV.  FrontPage 2003
currently has that ability, but FrontPage 2002 and earlier do not.

Think about it.  If FrontPage Server Extensions required DAV, you wouldn't
be able to publish to an IIS4 box!  :)

--
Jim
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com
Come check out the new Web site!
=======================================
NEW SPAWN VERSION!
The latest version adds support for CSS, a Title
attribute, control over placement of popup
scripts, and MORE!



> As I understand, Jim, FP server extensions require WEB DAV to publish.
> There was a discussion about this recently in the IIS newsgroup. Correct
me
> if I'm wrong.

> --
> ------------------------------
> Tom Pepper Willett
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> ------------------------------


> | FrontPage does not use DAV.  You can always get a Netmon trace to see
> what's
> | going on.
> |
> | --
> | Jim
> | Jimco Add-ins
> | http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> | Come check out the new Web site!
> | =======================================
> | NEW SPAWN VERSION!
> | The latest version adds support for CSS, a Title
> | attribute, control over placement of popup
> | scripts, and MORE!
> |
> |
> |
> |
> |
> |
> |
> |


> | > Hello Jabbersmith,
> | >
> | >     It is not a problem with any temporary files on my system because
I
> | have
> | > the same problem on any system on our network. You can view the exact
> | error
> | > message returned at this web page I created:
> | > http://www.knwsupport.com/problem_report.htm
> | > I think Frontpage uses WebDAV for many of its functions like file
> | uploading
> | > and some of the IIS lock down tools can limit WebDAV and create
> problems.
> | >
> | > Robert Robbins
> | > Web Developer
> | >
> | >


> | > >


> | > > > Hello Jabbersmith,
> | > > >
> | > > >     I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING
because
> I
> | > have
> | > > > contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure.
We
> | are
> | > > > using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem
with
> | > other
> | > > > web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two web
> | > hosting
> | > > > companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common
> | > > denominator.
> | > > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a
problem
> | as
> | > > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
> | similar
> | > > to
> | > > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
> | > > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web
> pages
> | > or
> | > > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly
> need
> | > > this
> | > > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in
Frontpage
> | and
> | > > then
> | > > > publishing to our file server.
> | > > >
> | > > > Robert Robbins
> | > > > Web Developer
> | > > >
> | > >
> | > > More than likely, in an unrelated yet hidden (to you) way they have
> not
> | > only
> | > > disallowed PING but other things required for FrontPage.
> | > >
> | > > PING is NOT used by FrontPage.  It is however an ICMP packet, which
> are
> | > > sometimes disallowed. (In my opinion, not necessarily for good
> reasons,
> | > and
> | > > the secuity improvements gained by that action are arguable.)
However
> I
> | > can
> | > > tell you I have personally set up firewalls to deny ICMP and still
> webs
> | > > accessed them just fine with FrontPage.  There is something else
those
> | > hosts
> | > > are doing with their security setup that is causing the problem.
> | > >
> | > > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web
> pages
> | > or
> | > > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I mostly
> need
> | > > this
> | > > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in
Frontpage
> | and
> | > > then
> | > > > publishing to our file server.
> | > >
> | > > Maybe they are limiting the number of requests per second.  You
might
> | have
> | > > better success with a dial-up line (ironically enough) which might
> | reduce
> | > > the requests to under their threshold.  Note however that spiders
will
> | > make
> | > > the same type of mass-requests against a web server occasionally
> | too...so
> | > > they could be compromising the ability for your clients to get
listed
> in
> | > > search engines.
> | > >
> | > > Another possible reason for this symtom is a bandwidth throttle,
which
> | > again
> | > > a dial-up line might reveal or cure.
> | > >
> | > > Something the host is doing is mucking it up.  They may be too
> ignorant
> | or
> | > > too uncooperative to fix it.  In that case your next move may be to
> tell
> | > > your clients their host choice may not be ideal for their purposes
and
> | > that
> | > > they should consider calling up and threatening to move.
> | > >
> | > > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a
problem
> | as
> | > > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
> | similar
> | > > to
> | > > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
> | > >
> | > > That's easy to isolate, use a different ISP temporarily to find out.
> | Or,
> | > if
> | > > the sites are using HTTPS, try connecting to them using that
instead.
> | It
> | > > may bypass the crappy proxy your ISP uses.
> | > >
> | > > Also, if you have not already, you should clear all temporary files
> (in
> | > your
> | > > computer, as well as FrontPage), in addition, delete all *.web files
> on
> | > your
> | > > computer.  You  may have problems due to the local cache FrontPage
> uses
> | > > being corrupted.
> | > >
> | > >
> | >
> | >
> |
> |

 
 
 

Publishing Errors - Host Disallows Pings

Post by Tom Pepper Willet » Sat, 12 Apr 2003 00:02:05


Thanks!

Tom


| Yes, you're wrong.  :)  FrontPage does not talk DAV.  FrontPage 2003
| currently has that ability, but FrontPage 2002 and earlier do not.
|
| Think about it.  If FrontPage Server Extensions required DAV, you wouldn't
| be able to publish to an IIS4 box!  :)
|
| --
| Jim
| Jimco Add-ins
| http://www.jimcoaddins.com
| Come check out the new Web site!
| =======================================
| NEW SPAWN VERSION!
| The latest version adds support for CSS, a Title
| attribute, control over placement of popup
| scripts, and MORE!
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|


| > As I understand, Jim, FP server extensions require WEB DAV to publish.
| > There was a discussion about this recently in the IIS newsgroup. Correct
| me
| > if I'm wrong.
| >
| > --
| > ------------------------------
| > Tom Pepper Willett
| > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > ------------------------------


| > | FrontPage does not use DAV.  You can always get a Netmon trace to see
| > what's
| > | going on.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Jim
| > | Jimco Add-ins
| > | http://www.jimcoaddins.com
| > | Come check out the new Web site!
| > | =======================================
| > | NEW SPAWN VERSION!
| > | The latest version adds support for CSS, a Title
| > | attribute, control over placement of popup
| > | scripts, and MORE!
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |


| > | > Hello Jabbersmith,
| > | >
| > | >     It is not a problem with any temporary files on my system
because
| I
| > | have
| > | > the same problem on any system on our network. You can view the
exact
| > | error
| > | > message returned at this web page I created:
| > | > http://www.knwsupport.com/problem_report.htm
| > | > I think Frontpage uses WebDAV for many of its functions like file
| > | uploading
| > | > and some of the IIS lock down tools can limit WebDAV and create
| > problems.
| > | >
| > | > Robert Robbins
| > | > Web Developer
| > | >
| > | >


| > | > >


| > | > > > Hello Jabbersmith,
| > | > > >
| > | > > >     I know these web hosting companies are disallowing PING
| because
| > I
| > | > have
| > | > > > contacted their system administrators. It is a security measure.
| We
| > | are
| > | > > > using Microsoft's ISA firewall but it does not create a problem
| with
| > | > other
| > | > > > web hosting companies. I have isolated the problem to just two
web
| > | > hosting
| > | > > > companies which both disallow PING so it seems to be the common
| > | > > denominator.
| > | > > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a
| problem
| > | as
| > | > > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
| > | similar
| > | > > to
| > | > > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
| > | > > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web
| > pages
| > | > or
| > | > > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I
mostly
| > need
| > | > > this
| > | > > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in
| Frontpage
| > | and
| > | > > then
| > | > > > publishing to our file server.
| > | > > >
| > | > > > Robert Robbins
| > | > > > Web Developer
| > | > > >
| > | > >
| > | > > More than likely, in an unrelated yet hidden (to you) way they
have
| > not
| > | > only
| > | > > disallowed PING but other things required for FrontPage.
| > | > >
| > | > > PING is NOT used by FrontPage.  It is however an ICMP packet,
which
| > are
| > | > > sometimes disallowed. (In my opinion, not necessarily for good
| > reasons,
| > | > and
| > | > > the secuity improvements gained by that action are arguable.)
| However
| > I
| > | > can
| > | > > tell you I have personally set up firewalls to deny ICMP and still
| > webs
| > | > > accessed them just fine with FrontPage.  There is something else
| those
| > | > hosts
| > | > > are doing with their security setup that is causing the problem.
| > | > >
| > | > > >     I can publish selected pages one at a time but any large web
| > pages
| > | > or
| > | > > > image files seem to cause the automated publish to fail. I
mostly
| > need
| > | > > this
| > | > > > to back up webs to our file server so I'm opening webs in
| Frontpage
| > | and
| > | > > then
| > | > > > publishing to our file server.
| > | > >
| > | > > Maybe they are limiting the number of requests per second.  You
| might
| > | have
| > | > > better success with a dial-up line (ironically enough) which might
| > | reduce
| > | > > the requests to under their threshold.  Note however that spiders
| will
| > | > make
| > | > > the same type of mass-requests against a web server occasionally
| > | too...so
| > | > > they could be compromising the ability for your clients to get
| listed
| > in
| > | > > search engines.
| > | > >
| > | > > Another possible reason for this symtom is a bandwidth throttle,
| which
| > | > again
| > | > > a dial-up line might reveal or cure.
| > | > >
| > | > > Something the host is doing is mucking it up.  They may be too
| > ignorant
| > | or
| > | > > too uncooperative to fix it.  In that case your next move may be
to
| > tell
| > | > > your clients their host choice may not be ideal for their purposes
| and
| > | > that
| > | > > they should consider calling up and threatening to move.
| > | > >
| > | > > > Our ISP is using some kind of caching which may be causing a
| problem
| > | as
| > | > > > well. The error message details that Frontpage returns look very
| > | similar
| > | > > to
| > | > > > the unavailable web server error message that our ISP generates.
| > | > >
| > | > > That's easy to isolate, use a different ISP temporarily to find
out.
| > | Or,
| > | > if
| > | > > the sites are using HTTPS, try connecting to them using that
| instead.
| > | It
| > | > > may bypass the crappy proxy your ISP uses.
| > | > >
| > | > > Also, if you have not already, you should clear all temporary
files
| > (in
| > | > your
| > | > > computer, as well as FrontPage), in addition, delete all *.web
files
| > on
| > | > your
| > | > > computer.  You  may have problems due to the local cache FrontPage
| > uses
| > | > > being corrupted.
| > | > >
| > | > >
| > | >
| > | >
| > |
| > |
| >
| >
|
|

 
 
 

1. SOLUTION to disallowed parent path / ASP 0131 & ASP 0126 error

Hello, fellow tech folks.

Here is some real advice that sheds light on how to implement a
working solution to the Disallowed Parent Path dilemma. Basically, in
a nutshell, you need to turn on your virtual paths, described below...

<!--#include virtual="/<virtual path>/<filename.ext>"-->
An alternative to using absolute virtual paths is to enable parent
paths; however, this is not the preferred method. (See the notes in
the More Information section for details.)

This is accomplished for your default Web site by using the following
steps:
Open the Internet Services Manager in the Microsoft Management Console
(MMC).

1) Right-click on your Default Web Site and select Properties.
2) Click the Home Directory tab.
3) Click the Configuration button.
4) Click the App Options tab.
5) Click to select the Enable Parent Paths checkbox.
6) Click the OK button until you return to the MMC.

Dig it!

JimmyB

2. problems installing openvms on simh

3. Can NetComber work w/ IBM TCPIP ???

4. FrontPage Publishing DISALLOWED By My ISP

5. MAIL/NET Etiquette.

6. error publishing to local host

7. Decora Style Switches

8. SERVER ERROR when publishing to local host FP2000 MSPWS 4

9. Errors publishing to web host

10. Publishing error with two sites and hosting companies

11. can't publish subwebs from online host to local host

12. How to ping an IP from a web page?