Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by Brad » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I can
prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to prevent
the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to do
the same.

Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by Tom Peppe » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

No.

--

Tom Pepper
Web Mangler & Cantankerous Old Grump

>Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I can
>prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to prevent
>the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to do
>the same.

>Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by L.J. » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You can't do it.  Even if you could, the user could still get the source of
every single page they looked at by looking in the browser cache.  You could
also just click the 'edit page' button in IE5 which will open it in Notepad,
FP or an HTML editor of their choice.  You could also just turn javascript
off in the browser so your code wouldn't work.

The things is that if somebody wants your code, they will get it.  If
somebody doesn't want your code, they'll get just get annoyed at losing the
functionality of the context menu.  Particular because it has other
important features such as Refresh, Print, etc.

--
Cheers: L.J.

"I tried dope... but unlike President Clinton, I DID inhale"
Dr. Mo Mowlam, Member of Parliament & anti-* supremo

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - Banish British Beef to email me.

> Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I can
> prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to prevent
> the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to do
> the same.

> Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by David Paye » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You can use javascript to turn off the right mouse button and also use it to
have the window not show the menu selections. Then there is no edit button
nor a right mouse click.
> Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I can
> prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to prevent
> the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to do
> the same.

> Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by L.J. » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

But bear in mind that when somebody removes control from the user, they are
very likely to press Alt & F4.  Windows GUI guidelines are there for a very
good reason.  Remove the familiarity and you start to frighten people away.

--
Cheers: L.J.

"I tried dope... but unlike President Clinton, I DID inhale"
Dr. Mo Mowlam, Member of Parliament & anti-* supremo

http://www.veryComputer.com/ - Banish British Beef to email me.

> You can use javascript to turn off the right mouse button and also use it
> have the window not show the menu selections. Then there is no edit button
> nor a right mouse click.

> > Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I
can
> > prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to
prevent
> > the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to
do
> > the same.

> > Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by Ralph A. Jone » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

If it is scripts you are trying to hide/protect, switch over to ASP -- the
scripts run on the server and are never seen on the client, the client only
sees the HTML that is returned.  I think I have also read about some
encryption schemes -- you might want to research this.  All people see in

> Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I can
> prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to prevent
> the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to do
> the same.

> Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by Kevin Spence » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Not showing menu selections is easy to get around. This whole effort is a
waste of time.

--
Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP

> You can use javascript to turn off the right mouse button and also use it
> have the window not show the menu selections. Then there is no edit button
> nor a right mouse click.

> > Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I
can
> > prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to
prevent
> > the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to
do
> > the same.

> > Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by Pete Koutoula » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

It is indeed a waste of time. Besides being easy to get around, it will
(rightly) infuriate your site visitors. Don't do it.

--

Pete Koutoulas, Webmaster
Fayette County Public Schools

> Not showing menu selections is easy to get around. This whole effort is a
> waste of time.

> --
> Kevin Spencer
> Microsoft FrontPage MVP
> Site Design by TAKempis
> Internet Database Development with Microsoft Technologies
> http://www.takempis.com
> ASP Discussion Web Available!

> > You can use javascript to turn off the right mouse button and also use
it
> > have the window not show the menu selections. Then there is no edit
button
> > nor a right mouse click.

> > > Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I
> can
> > > prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to
> prevent
> > > the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu
> do
> > > the same.

> > > Brad

Blocking View Source from pull down menu in browser

Post by John Barendrech » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Then how would they bookmark your site? How do they leave your site, use
back button, etc? A simpler way to protect code would be to keep it in safe
and not publish it on the web.

> You can use javascript to turn off the right mouse button and also use it
> have the window not show the menu selections. Then there is no edit button
> nor a right mouse click.

> > Is there a way to insert some code into my site's home page so that I
can
> > prevent someone from viewing the code. I have seen JavaScript's to
prevent
> > the mouse right-click, but that still leaves open the pull down menu to
do
> > the same.

> > Brad

1. pull down menus used to view directories???

All I want to do is create a pull down list of network applications.  Each
item on the list I want to link to and run the setup file for that program.
If this is not achievable could I use a pull down menu to just bring up the
directory with the setup file in it for users to double click on.

thanks
Jon.

---

2. QA and Testing are not the same concepts

3. Main pull-down menu lost (file, edit, view..)

4. Wordperfect 5.1/Dos and HP 855c

5. Intelligent Pull Down Options - Selection Changes Options in Second Pull Down

6. Microsoft .NET Jolts the Industry

7. MVP Help - Problem with FP2000 icons on menu bars and pull down menus.

8. 3com switch config

9. pull-down menus

10. Pull down menus

11. Javascript pull down menu in frame set

12. Pull Down Menu

13. pull down menu to install apps