FP 97 - too clever by half???

Post by Brian Elli » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Since trying (vainly) to use FP97 for the last month or so and seeing
the large no. of messages on this news forum of others having all sorts
of problems, I am coming to the conclusion that MS have beGatesed us yet
once again. By trying to do everything, like in Windows 95, they have
produced something that is unstable and difficult to use. I'm afraid
that Bill has yet to learn that simple is beautiful.

One of the problems with his products is documentation: I have read the
putrid manual assiduously: I have used the help files ditto: I have
browsed through about 10 books on FP97 at the local bookshop and bought
what seemed to be the best one: I have looked through various web infos
on the MS and other sites - yet I still have problems. Notwithstanding,
I consider myself as reasonably computer-literate (I have done serious
professional programming in three languages and dabbled with four
others).

Could it just be that this is a monster, or is old age making me stupid?
--
Brian Ellis
Protonique SA

(preferred)

systematically available)
           http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/protonique   (not
maintained)

FP 97 - too clever by half???

Post by Keith Parnel » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

> Since trying (vainly) to use FP97 for the last month or so and seeing
> the large no. of messages on this news forum of others having all sorts
> of problems, I am coming to the conclusion that MS have beGatesed us yet
> once again. By trying to do everything, like in Windows 95, they have
> produced something that is unstable and difficult to use. I'm afraid
> that Bill has yet to learn that simple is beautiful.

> One of the problems with his products is documentation: I have read the
> putrid manual assiduously: I have used the help files ditto: I have
> browsed through about 10 books on FP97 at the local bookshop and bought
> what seemed to be the best one: I have looked through various web infos
> on the MS and other sites - yet I still have problems. Notwithstanding,
> I consider myself as reasonably computer-literate (I have done serious
> professional programming in three languages and dabbled with four
> others).

> Could it just be that this is a monster, or is old age making me stupid?
> --
> Brian Ellis
> Protonique SA
> PO Box 78
> CH-1032 Romanel-sur-Lausanne
> Switzerland
> Voice:     +41 21-648 23 34
> Fax:       +41 21-648 24 11

> (preferred)

> systematically available)
>            http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/protonique   (not
> maintained)

look in the mirror, homeboy. old age might be getting to you.

FP 97 - too clever by half???

Post by Rick Campbel » Fri, 09 May 1997 04:00:00

Brian,

I agree with you wholeheartedly that FP is not the product that PCMag and
others tout it to be. As I have only used FP, I shudder to think what the
other programs are like if they like FP so much.

One thing to keep in mind about FP. MS did not develop it. They bought it.
That's why so much of it does not integrate well. I expect that, as with
everything MS does, it will get better as they produce more iterations.

What book did you like best? I bought the QUE book and that was a mistake.
They brought it out too early and much of it is just a reiteration of what
the menus say.  $50 and a CD that has little useful on it.
--
Rick Campbell
Information Designs

FP 97 - too clever by half???

Post by Brian Elli » Sat, 10 May 1997 04:00:00

Rick

I looked at the QUE book but found Stanek's FP97 Unleashed (Samsnet) was
a better bet at 50 bucks. The strange thing is that over here
(Switzerland), I paid less than that, whereas we usually pay the double
for US books. Even the CD ROM has a couple of useful gadgets on it,
other than the inevitable MS Internet Explorer (this must be at least
the 20th CD-ROM I have with it on it!), not the least of which is the
FP97DK, which saves downloading it. However, do not expect to find all
the answers in its 1200-odd pages and 3 kg. I'd guess it is aimed at the
medium-market, rather than the veriest beginner or the super-duper
expert. I'd give it 15 marks out of 20 as opposed to 3/20 for the
pathetic FP97 manual.
--
Brian Ellis
Protonique SA
PO Box 78
CH-1032 Romanel-sur-Lausanne
Switzerland
Voice:     +41 21-648 23 34
Fax:       +41 21-648 24 11

(preferred)

systematically available)
           http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/protonique   (not
maintained)

1. How can I copy FP 97 webs from one server to another FP 97 server?

If you have a lot of bots in your site, it is probably easier to do it from
server to server through FrontPage. If you have no discussion groups or
bots, if would be easier through FTP. My experience applies to a 30MB site.
The computer you are using to move the site through FrontPage, make sure
the computer is on a high speed internet line (128kbs+).

Rob

2. Outlook and german keyboard

3. include bots for FP 97 generated from access 97

4. (Unsigned Long) newbie question ..

5. Index Page in FP 97/97

6. PDA w/ built-in (tiny) keyboard?

7. Is OFFICE 97 needed for FP 97?

8. lboot warning 12/31/1999

9. FP tries to be to clever...

10. Upgrading from FP/97 to FP/98 at a remote server, ISP.

11. Missing Files by using FP-97 & FP-98

12. Q: FP 97 won't recognize old FP web

13. Form to e-mail with FP 98 client on host with FP 97 extensions?