Personal Web Server vs FrontPage-Personal Web Server

Personal Web Server vs FrontPage-Personal Web Server

Post by Montreal - Informatique Conseil Plu » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Hi there,

1. What is exactly the differences between the Personal Web Server and the
FrontPage-Personal Web Server ?
2. Are the differences limited with the directiories names for the web
server or does that includes more specific subjects ?
3. On the ASP subject, what is the relation with the type pf Personal Web
Server ?  In the article Q175770 there is the following intructions :

Getting Ready to Use the ASP Features in FrontPage 98
Before you can use the ASP features in FrontPage 98, you must install the
following components:
A 32-bit ODBC driver.
One of the following servers:
    - Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 2.0 or 3.0 for
      Microsoft Windows NT Server.
    - Microsoft Peer Web Services for Microsoft Windows NT Workstation.
    - Microsoft Personal Web Server for Microsoft Windows 95.
An ASP engine on the IIS derivative Web server.
NOTE: The ASP engine (Asp.exe) ships with FrontPage 98. It is located in
the following folder on the FrontPage 98 compact disc
NOTE: If you are running IIS 4.0 or PWS 4.0, do not install ASP.EXE, doing
so will break the ASP engine that comes pre-installed with those products.
      <x>:\60 Minute Intranet Kit\60 Minute Intranet Kit\modules
where <x> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive.
FrontPage 98 Server Extensions.

I'd like to know if the PWS mentioned here is the one installed with
FrontPage (FrontPage-Personal Web Server).

Thanks in advance for any info.

Christophe Opitz
Charg du recrutement

Informatique Conseil Plus
1255, Universit, Suite 1000
Montral, Qubec, H3B 3W6

(514) 861 3299 207
(514) 861 3979 fax

http://www.icp.qc.ca

Personal Web Server vs FrontPage-Personal Web Server

Post by R. W. Gerlin » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The FrontPage Web Server is not the same as the Microsoft personal Web
server. Don't install the FP web server. Install the MS PWS version 1.0a or
higher...rg

--
R.W. Gerling, MVP--FrontPage
http://www.rgerling.com

Have A Good Day

>Hi there,

>1. What is exactly the differences between the Personal Web Server and the
>FrontPage-Personal Web Server ?
>2. Are the differences limited with the directiories names for the web
>server or does that includes more specific subjects ?
>3. On the ASP subject, what is the relation with the type pf Personal Web
>Server ?  In the article Q175770 there is the following intructions :

>Getting Ready to Use the ASP Features in FrontPage 98
>Before you can use the ASP features in FrontPage 98, you must install the
>following components:
>A 32-bit ODBC driver.
>One of the following servers:
>    - Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS) 2.0 or 3.0 for
>      Microsoft Windows NT Server.
>    - Microsoft Peer Web Services for Microsoft Windows NT Workstation.
>    - Microsoft Personal Web Server for Microsoft Windows 95.
>An ASP engine on the IIS derivative Web server.
>NOTE: The ASP engine (Asp.exe) ships with FrontPage 98. It is located in
>the following folder on the FrontPage 98 compact disc
>NOTE: If you are running IIS 4.0 or PWS 4.0, do not install ASP.EXE, doing
>so will break the ASP engine that comes pre-installed with those products.
>      <x>:\60 Minute Intranet Kit\60 Minute Intranet Kit\modules
>where <x> is the drive letter of the CD-ROM drive.
>FrontPage 98 Server Extensions.

>I'd like to know if the PWS mentioned here is the one installed with
>FrontPage (FrontPage-Personal Web Server).

>Thanks in advance for any info.

>Christophe Opitz
>Charg du recrutement

>Informatique Conseil Plus
>1255, Universit, Suite 1000
>Montral, Qubec, H3B 3W6

>(514) 861 3299 207
>(514) 861 3979 fax

>http://www.icp.qc.ca

Personal Web Server vs FrontPage-Personal Web Server

Post by Kevin Spence » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi there,

>1. What is exactly the differences between the Personal Web Server and the
>FrontPage-Personal Web Server ?

It's not useful to refer to "Personal Web Server" as MS has released at
least 4 different "Personal Web Servers." I will refer to them as MS PWS
(Microsoft Personal Web Server) and FP PWS (FrontPage Personal Web Server).
The biggest difference is that FP PWS will not support ASP, IDC, or CGI. If
you plan to use and test locally any of these technologies, don't use FP
PWS. FP PWS is a very stripped-down web server, and is not even included
with FP 98. It is a leftover from the original FrontPage, which Microsoft
bought, and then improved with each successive release. FP 97 included MS
PWS for the first time, and included FP PWS only for backwards
compatibility. FP PWS supports a limited number of webs (around 13 or so, if
I recall correctly) on the server. It also doesn't have much of any kind of
a server administration program. MS PWS (all versions) support ASP, IDC, and
CGI, and have excellent server administration utilities.

Conclusion: If you are using FP PWS, uninstall the server extensions, then
uninstall the server. Then install a version of MS PWS. Make sure you
uninstall the server extensions before uninstalling the server, or you will
have trouble. Also, be sure to read all the online help, just to make sure
you know what you're doing.

Hope this helps,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
http://www.takempis.com
ASP, IDC, and Internet Database Programming
Free online ASP Tutorials!
ASP-based Discussion Web available!

Personal Web Server vs FrontPage-Personal Web Server

Post by Tom Peppe » Thu, 05 Nov 1998 04:00:00

To sort of clarify to my friend Kevin's post:

The FP PWS DOES come with FP 98, and, if you do a total install, that's what
is installed.  However, my experience is that the MS PWS is the best choice.
However, it must be installed FIRST, then do a custom install of FP...

--

Tom Pepper - Director of Marketing, Sharp Communication
Huntsville, Alabama USA

>>Hi there,

>>1. What is exactly the differences between the Personal Web Server and the
>>FrontPage-Personal Web Server ?

>It's not useful to refer to "Personal Web Server" as MS has released at
>least 4 different "Personal Web Servers." I will refer to them as MS PWS
>(Microsoft Personal Web Server) and FP PWS (FrontPage Personal Web Server).
>The biggest difference is that FP PWS will not support ASP, IDC, or CGI. If
>you plan to use and test locally any of these technologies, don't use FP
>PWS. FP PWS is a very stripped-down web server, and is not even included
>with FP 98. It is a leftover from the original FrontPage, which Microsoft
>bought, and then improved with each successive release. FP 97 included MS
>PWS for the first time, and included FP PWS only for backwards
>compatibility. FP PWS supports a limited number of webs (around 13 or so,
if
>I recall correctly) on the server. It also doesn't have much of any kind of
>a server administration program. MS PWS (all versions) support ASP, IDC,
and
>CGI, and have excellent server administration utilities.

>Conclusion: If you are using FP PWS, uninstall the server extensions, then
>uninstall the server. Then install a version of MS PWS. Make sure you
>uninstall the server extensions before uninstalling the server, or you will
>have trouble. Also, be sure to read all the online help, just to make sure
>you know what you're doing.

>Hope this helps,

>Kevin Spencer
>Microsoft MVP
>http://www.takempis.com
>ASP, IDC, and Internet Database Programming
>Free online ASP Tutorials!
>ASP-based Discussion Web available!

Personal Web Server vs FrontPage-Personal Web Server

Mea culpa, Tom!