Smart Hit counters?

Post by David Morga » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Is there a way you can create a list of IP addresses to not count in the FP
Hit Counter?  I really don't want those involved in the creation and support
of the web to be listed.  For instance, we have one web that has 684 hits.
Well, I initialized the counter at 500, so that's really only 184.  Since
there are four people that are directly involve with the web site (either
content or technical) they could easily account for 100 of those 184 hits.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  If no one else has any canned solutions,
what about using an ASP page that compares the IP address against a .txt
file and then if the IP address isn't included, a different .txt file is
written with the current number.  Seems like there would be a more efficient
way of doing this though.

Many thanks!
David

Smart Hit counters?

Post by Mark Roger » Sat, 18 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi David,

Kevin Spencer has an ASP counter tutorial and script at
http://www.takempis.com that can be modified to mask IP addresses.  FP's
counter won't do what you want.

You can also checkout http://www.webtrends.com for web site traffic analysis
& reporting.
--
Mark Rogers
Microsoft MVP

_______________ Please Send Replies to Newsgroup ______________

SiteCrafters Internet Services - Whitefish, Montana
Web Site Development & Hosting http://www.SiteCrafters.com
FrontPage 98 Support http://www.SiteCrafters.com/support/fp98

>Is there a way you can create a list of IP addresses to not count in the FP
>Hit Counter?  I really don't want those involved in the creation and
support
>of the web to be listed.  For instance, we have one web that has 684 hits.
>Well, I initialized the counter at 500, so that's really only 184.  Since
>there are four people that are directly involve with the web site (either
>content or technical) they could easily account for 100 of those 184 hits.

>Any ideas would be appreciated.  If no one else has any canned solutions,
>what about using an ASP page that compares the IP address against a .txt
>file and then if the IP address isn't included, a different .txt file is
>written with the current number.  Seems like there would be a more
efficient
>way of doing this though.

>Many thanks!
>David

Smart Hit counters?

Post by Bram M. Ott » Mon, 20 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi

Use a websites statistics service like http://www.superstats.com/ or
http://usa.nedstat.net/ . They provide a lot statistics about your site,
also which domain+url your visitor came from. So you know exectly how many
visitors were members of your team for 'creation and support' of the site
and therefore not real hits.

Bram

Dutch Submarines: The submarines of the Royal Netherlands Navy
http://users.bart.nl/~bramotto/index.htm

David Morgan heeft geschreven in bericht ...

Quote:>Is there a way you can create a list of IP addresses to not count in the FP
>Hit Counter?  I really don't want those involved in the creation and
support
>of the web to be listed.  For instance, we have one web that has 684 hits.
>Well, I initialized the counter at 500, so that's really only 184.  Since
>there are four people that are directly involve with the web site (either
>content or technical) they could easily account for 100 of those 184 hits.

>Any ideas would be appreciated.  If no one else has any canned solutions,
>what about using an ASP page that compares the IP address against a .txt
>file and then if the IP address isn't included, a different .txt file is
>written with the current number.  Seems like there would be a more
efficient
>way of doing this though.

>Many thanks!
>David

1. True hits - Hit counter?

Is it possible with fp2k2 hit counter to set a cookie,
java, javascript or something where it knows that that
person was on the site already?

On my site, I have a hit counter working fine on the 2nd
page (default.htm is a flash intro) then to the index
page. If I am or someone is already on the site and
views/refreshes or clicks back to the home page, that
adds to the counter. I would like to have more "true"
hits if you know what I am trying to say, where a script
or something knows if that viewer is unique to the site
for that day.

TIA
jm

2. Another MS Money Problem

3. Hit Counter - Hit and Miss!!!

4. Latin-2 sort order

5. Hit Counter counts more than one hit per visit to home page.

6. PPP for pc - ftp-site?

7. "Page hits' counter overestimates hits

8. New Service for your "Pager"!!!!!

9. filtering out hits from hit counter

10. Tracing hits from the hit counter

11. I'm going to hit the hit counter!!