build one site by two persons in different location

build one site by two persons in different location

Post by coolkyat » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:24:39

Hi all, My friend and I came up with the idea to build a
site using frontpage 2002, problems is we are located in 2
different time zone(me USA, him ENGLAND) can someone tell
me how we can accomplish this task, i'm sure there is an
easy way that we are over looking thanks in advance.

build one site by two persons in different location

Post by Thomas A. Row » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 03:54:10

As long as the site is hosted on a server with the FP extension, both of you
can open and work on it, however, the best approach would be to only do so
individually, so that you don't overwrite each others changes etc.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Quote:> Hi all, My friend and I came up with the idea to build a

Post by Igor » Mon, 24 Mar 2003 04:38:27

>Hi all, My friend and I came up with the idea to build a
>site using frontpage 2002, problems is we are located in 2
>different time zone(me USA, him ENGLAND) can someone tell
>me how we can accomplish this task, i'm sure there is an
>easy way that we are over looking thanks in advance.

I am doing this as well -- not as many time zones, though.  In the early stages, what
we have done is set up separate copies of the site in different folders at the website
-- subwebs.  Then each of us can test what we want to do and see how it works.  (None
of us has a local server set up (at home) and we are using forms that require ASP, so
the only way to see how they work is to run them on a server.)  Then, we discuss and
when we agree we update the actual/main site.  I keep a complete copy of the main site,
so I copy the agreed upon pages (or make changes) to our local copy and publish that to
the server.  Then, I also publish this version to each of the subwebs so each of us can
work on more changes -- starting with the most recent copy of the "release version".

Just be careful:

        When you publish, always look as to where you are publishing -- the root/main web
or one of your subwebs -- since you will be publishing the working version of the site
to multiple places.

        When you publish, make sure "publish subwebs" is unchecked.  (I use FP 2000.)

        When you publish the agreed-upon version to the subwebs for future
development, FP will ask you if you want to delete pages that are on the server that
are not on your local version of the web.  Be careful when you answer this question,
especially for the subweb designated for your friend.

I recommend the free add-in you can get at http://www.jimcoaddins.com that makes it
easier to mark multiple pages to "not publish" to the server.  This helps me keep
pages-in-progress and old versions of pages I just want to keep in my local version of
the website but not publish them to the server.

Finally, you can password-protect each subweb if that is appropriate for your site.

It seems that FP has a task function to do all this in a more formal way, and I assume
there are other "standard" approaches, but for my small group this approach has worked
fine.  FWIW.