Unable to connect

Post by Microsof » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 10:26:46

I have W2K with SP2 installed running FP98.  When I try to open either of
two existing front page webs, after several minutes of trying, I receive an
'Unable to connect (socket code 10053)' message.  Each of these web sites is
hosted on a separate commercial hosting provider.

Frustratingly, I have exactly the same setup at work, W2K/SP2 and FP98, and
it works beautifully.  The only difference I can think of between the two is
that we have a T1 at work and I use a 56K dialup at home.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Unable to connect

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 10:44:23

I did a Google Search of the newsgroups archive of this groups and found
some messages that may help: (very long URL - will wrap)
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code...
29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicrosoft.p
ublic.frontpage.client

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Quote:> I have W2K with SP2 installed running FP98.  When I try to open either of
> two existing front page webs, after several minutes of trying, I receive
an
> 'Unable to connect (socket code 10053)' message.  Each of these web sites
is
> hosted on a separate commercial hosting provider.

> Frustratingly, I have exactly the same setup at work, W2K/SP2 and FP98,
and
> it works beautifully.  The only difference I can think of between the two
is
> that we have a T1 at work and I use a 56K dialup at home.

> Any ideas/suggestions?

Unable to connect

Post by Aaro » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 11:08:58

None of those seem to be relevant.  They mostly talk about checking and/or
reinstalling the extensions.  I know that isn't the problem since I can do
everything just fine from work.

Quote:> I did a Google Search of the newsgroups archive of this groups and found
> some messages that may help: (very long URL - will wrap)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code...
29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicrosoft.p
> ublic.frontpage.client

> --
> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > I have W2K with SP2 installed running FP98.  When I try to open either
of
> > two existing front page webs, after several minutes of trying, I receive
> an
> > 'Unable to connect (socket code 10053)' message.  Each of these web
sites
> is
> > hosted on a separate commercial hosting provider.

> > Frustratingly, I have exactly the same setup at work, W2K/SP2 and FP98,
> and
> > it works beautifully.  The only difference I can think of between the
two
> is
> > that we have a T1 at work and I use a 56K dialup at home.

> > Any ideas/suggestions?

Unable to connect

Post by Stefan B. Rusynk » Fri, 04 Jan 2002 20:47:38

Try opening your modem connection first
Are you using any firewalls or proxies at home
If you can browse to the web in IE try File Edit with FrontPage

--

New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;

| None of those seem to be relevant.  They mostly talk about checking
and/or
| reinstalling the extensions.  I know that isn't the problem since I
can do
| everything just fine from work.
|

| > I did a Google Search of the newsgroups archive of this groups and
found
| > some messages that may help: (very long URL - will wrap)

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code+10
053%

29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicroso
ft.p
| > ublic.frontpage.client
| >
| > --
| > ~ Kathleen Anderson
| > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| > Spider Web Woman Designs
| > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
| > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| >

| > > I have W2K with SP2 installed running FP98.  When I try to open
either
| of
| > > two existing front page webs, after several minutes of trying, I
receive
| > an
| > > 'Unable to connect (socket code 10053)' message.  Each of these
web
| sites
| > is
| > > hosted on a separate commercial hosting provider.
| > >
| > > Frustratingly, I have exactly the same setup at work, W2K/SP2 and
FP98,
| > and
| > > it works beautifully.  The only difference I can think of between
the
| two
| > is
| > > that we have a T1 at work and I use a 56K dialup at home.
| > >
| > > Any ideas/suggestions?

Unable to connect

Post by Aaro » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 11:31:06

I am not behind any firewalls or proxies at home (in fact I am behind both
at work but, everything works just fine there).

I  tried your suggestion of doing File, Edit open with... while in IE.  I
don't have ...open with Front Page.  Instead I have ...open with Microsoft
Word.  I tried that and after a REALLY long time (like 2 minutes) it finally
opened the page in word.

If this didn't function correctly at work, I wouldn't be quite so frustrated
but, from all appearances, my home setup is the same as my work setup except
for the connection speed.  Is FP98 extra sensitive to slow response or
something like that?

Unable to connect

Post by Tom Pepper Willet » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 12:01:08

Do you have FP installed at home?
--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett

> I am not behind any firewalls or proxies at home (in fact I am behind both
> at work but, everything works just fine there).

> I  tried your suggestion of doing File, Edit open with... while in IE.  I
> don't have ...open with Front Page.  Instead I have ...open with Microsoft
> Word.  I tried that and after a REALLY long time (like 2 minutes) it
finally
> opened the page in word.

> If this didn't function correctly at work, I wouldn't be quite so
frustrated
> but, from all appearances, my home setup is the same as my work setup
except
> for the connection speed.  Is FP98 extra sensitive to slow response or
> something like that?

> > Try opening your modem connection first
> > Are you using any firewalls or proxies at home
> > If you can browse to the web in IE try File Edit with FrontPage

> > --

> > New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;

> > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> >  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > | None of those seem to be relevant.  They mostly talk about checking
> > and/or
> > | reinstalling the extensions.  I know that isn't the problem since I
> > can do
> > | everything just fine from work.

> > found
> > | >

> > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code+10
> > 053%
> > | >

> > 29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicroso
> > ft.p

> > either
> > | of
> > receive
> > web
> > | sites

> > FP98,
> > the
> > | two

Unable to connect

Post by Aaro » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 12:43:22

Uhhhhh, yeah. What would be the point of my original post if I didn't?

Quote:> Do you have FP installed at home?
> --
> -----
> Tom Pepper Willett
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Quote:> ***
> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> ***

> > I am not behind any firewalls or proxies at home (in fact I am behind
both
> > at work but, everything works just fine there).

> > I  tried your suggestion of doing File, Edit open with... while in IE.
> > don't have ...open with Front Page.  Instead I have ...open with
Microsoft
> > Word.  I tried that and after a REALLY long time (like 2 minutes) it
> finally
> > opened the page in word.

> > If this didn't function correctly at work, I wouldn't be quite so
> frustrated
> > but, from all appearances, my home setup is the same as my work setup
> except
> > for the connection speed.  Is FP98 extra sensitive to slow response or
> > something like that?

> > > Try opening your modem connection first
> > > Are you using any firewalls or proxies at home
> > > If you can browse to the web in IE try File Edit with FrontPage

> > > --

> > > New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;

> > > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> > >  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
> > > ___________________________________________

> > > and/or
> > > can do

> > > found

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code+10
Quote:> > > 053%

29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicroso

> > > ft.p

> > > either
> > > receive
> > > web

> > > FP98,
> > > the

Unable to connect

Post by Stefan B. Rusynk » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:16:42

In IE Tools Internet Options Programs - did you check the drop down for Html Editors and see if Microsoft FrontPage was also listed there as a selection?  If not try a reinstall of FP

--

New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;

| I am not behind any firewalls or proxies at home (in fact I am behind both
| at work but, everything works just fine there).
|
| I  tried your suggestion of doing File, Edit open with... while in IE.  I
| don't have ...open with Front Page.  Instead I have ...open with Microsoft
| Word.  I tried that and after a REALLY long time (like 2 minutes) it finally
| opened the page in word.
|
| If this didn't function correctly at work, I wouldn't be quite so frustrated
| but, from all appearances, my home setup is the same as my work setup except
| for the connection speed.  Is FP98 extra sensitive to slow response or
| something like that?
|

| > Try opening your modem connection first
| > Are you using any firewalls or proxies at home
| > If you can browse to the web in IE try File Edit with FrontPage
| >
| > --

| > New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;
| >
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| >  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > ___________________________________________
| >

| > | None of those seem to be relevant.  They mostly talk about checking
| > and/or
| > | reinstalling the extensions.  I know that isn't the problem since I
| > can do
| > | everything just fine from work.
| > |
| > |

| > found

| > |
| > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code+10
| > 053%

| > |
| > 29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicroso
| > ft.p

| > either
| > | of
| > receive
| > web
| > | sites

| > FP98,
| > the
| > | two

| > |
| > |

Unable to connect

Post by Aaro » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:31:28

Ok, now I do get a Open with Front Page..
I am able to use that to open my home page but I was never asked to
authenticate and a lot of the formatting, like the header and the navigation
links are missing.  It seems like only the basic text contact is showing up
in the FrontPage Editor.

In IE Tools Internet Options Programs - did you check the drop down for Html
Editors and see if Microsoft FrontPage was also listed there as a selection?
If not try a reinstall of FP

--

New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;

| I am not behind any firewalls or proxies at home (in fact I am behind both
| at work but, everything works just fine there).
|
| I  tried your suggestion of doing File, Edit open with... while in IE.  I
| don't have ...open with Front Page.  Instead I have ...open with Microsoft
| Word.  I tried that and after a REALLY long time (like 2 minutes) it
finally
| opened the page in word.
|
| If this didn't function correctly at work, I wouldn't be quite so
frustrated
| but, from all appearances, my home setup is the same as my work setup
except
| for the connection speed.  Is FP98 extra sensitive to slow response or
| something like that?
|

| > Try opening your modem connection first
| > Are you using any firewalls or proxies at home
| > If you can browse to the web in IE try File Edit with FrontPage
| >
| > --

| > New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;
| >
| > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| >  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| > ___________________________________________
| >

| > | None of those seem to be relevant.  They mostly talk about checking
| > and/or
| > | reinstalling the extensions.  I know that isn't the problem since I
| > can do
| > | everything just fine from work.
| > |
| > |

| > found

| > |
| > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code+10
| > 053%

| > |
| > 29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicroso
| > ft.p

| > either
| > | of
| > receive
| > web
| > | sites

| > FP98,
| > the
| > | two

| > |
| > |

Unable to connect

Post by Stefan B. Rusynk » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 22:38:50

That indicates the site does not have the FP Extensions or they are broken
Contact your host

--

New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;

| Ok, now I do get a Open with Front Page..
| I am able to use that to open my home page but I was never asked to
| authenticate and a lot of the formatting, like the header and the navigation
| links are missing.  It seems like only the basic text contact is showing up
| in the FrontPage Editor.
|

| In IE Tools Internet Options Programs - did you check the drop down for Html
| Editors and see if Microsoft FrontPage was also listed there as a selection?
| If not try a reinstall of FP
|
| --

| New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;
|
| To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
|  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| ___________________________________________
|

| | I am not behind any firewalls or proxies at home (in fact I am behind both
| | at work but, everything works just fine there).
| |
| | I  tried your suggestion of doing File, Edit open with... while in IE.  I
| | don't have ...open with Front Page.  Instead I have ...open with Microsoft
| | Word.  I tried that and after a REALLY long time (like 2 minutes) it
| finally
| | opened the page in word.
| |
| | If this didn't function correctly at work, I wouldn't be quite so
| frustrated
| | but, from all appearances, my home setup is the same as my work setup
| except
| | for the connection speed.  Is FP98 extra sensitive to slow response or
| | something like that?
| |
| |

| | > Try opening your modem connection first
| | > Are you using any firewalls or proxies at home
| | > If you can browse to the web in IE try File Edit with FrontPage
| | >
| | > --

| | > New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;
| | >
| | > To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
| | >  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
| | > ___________________________________________

| | > and/or
| | > can do
| | > |
| | > |

| | > found

| | > |
| | > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%27Unable+to+connect+%28socket+code+10
| | > 053%

| | > |
| | > 29%27&hl=en&lr=lang_en&scoring=d&btnG=Google+Search&meta=group%3Dmicroso
| | > ft.p

| | > either
| | > receive
| | > web

| | > FP98,
| | > the

| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |

Unable to connect

Post by Server » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 01:10:19

With FP98, trying to publish, then after a long delay of 'Listing pages in
http://default servers' the message appears "Unable to connect to a server
at 'web2.onlink.net' on prot 80 (socket code 10054)" Can this be corrected
in some way??

Unable to connect

Post by Shar » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 03:56:35

You'll want to take a look at this:

us;Q301087&id=301087&SD=MSKB

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Quote:>http://default servers' the message appears "Unable to
connect to a server
>at 'web2.onlink.net' on prot 80 (socket code 10054)" Can
this be corrected
>in some way??

>.

Unable to connect

Post by Aaron Houste » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 01:27:00

Unfortunately this can not be the case since I can use FP98 from work to do whatever I
want.  Also, at work, if I do the same thing, from IE do an Edit with FP, it works just
fine.

> That indicates the site does not have the FP Extensions or they are broken
> Contact your host

> --

> New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;

> To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
>  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> | Ok, now I do get a Open with Front Page..
> | I am able to use that to open my home page but I was never asked to
> | authenticate and a lot of the formatting, like the header and the navigation
> | links are missing.  It seems like only the basic text contact is showing up
> | in the FrontPage Editor.
> |

> | In IE Tools Internet Options Programs - did you check the drop down for Html
> | Editors and see if Microsoft FrontPage was also listed there as a selection?
> | If not try a reinstall of FP
> |
> | --

> | New Years Resolution - Try the F1 Key at least once!  (-;
> |
> | To find the best Newsgroup for FrontPage support see:
> |  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
> | ___________________________________________
> |

> | | I am not behind any firewalls or proxies at home (in fact I am behind both
> | | at work but, everything works just fine there).
> | |
> | | I  tried your suggestion of doing File, Edit open with... while in IE.  I
> | | don't have ...open with Front Page.  Instead I have ...open with Microsoft
> | | Word.  I tried that and after a REALLY long time (like 2 minutes) it
> | finally
> | | opened the page in word.
> | |
> | | If this didn't function correctly at work, I wouldn't be quite so
> | frustrated
> | | but, from all appearances, my home setup is the same as my work setup
> | except
> | | for the connection speed.  Is FP98 extra sensitive to slow response or
> | | something like that?
> | |
> | |

> | | > |
> | | > |

> | | > |

> | | > |

> | | > |
> | | > |

> | |
> | |

1. FP Unable to Find Webs/Unable to Connect to Server

I've installed FP98 on several workstations, both Win95 and NT, in our org.
One workstation refuses to find other webs on our Intranet. Instead, when I
attempt to open a FP Web and select one of our servers, I get the message
"Unable to connect to a server on port 80 (socket code 11002)" I've checked
the FP PWS config, the Network config, and everything else I could think of.
I've verified it's not a rights issue. Most frustrating. Anyone have any
ideas?

2. AMD Elan 486 palmtop?

3. Unable to connect to server

4. Parallel port

5. Unable to connect to the server (HTTP error 500)

6. Synchronising

7. "Unable to connect to the server" when publishing

8. is there any way to verify an installation?

9. Error Msg: "Unable to connect to a server @ * on port 80"

10. Interdev unable to connect to any server

11. "Unable to connect to the http host."

12. Help!!! Unable to connect Error

13. Help! - Unable to Connect....