PWS Virtual directories on localhost

Post by Thomas A. Row » Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:00:00

You need to create subwebs not virtual directory as the extensions can not
be applied to them.

--

=====================================
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Quote:> hi

Post by Mark Locket » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 07:15:14

hi
this must be an issue people have noticed before:

I have loaded Personal Web Server onto a Win 95 PC, and Peer Web Services
onto a WinNT 4.0 Workstation
They both are unable to browse virtual directories locally
ie   http://localhost/virtualdirectory        comes up  "Not found"
but from the same machine        http://mypc/virtualdirectory         is
fine

Of course, the escond format does not work for Administering PWS, as the
default disables all but local admin.
TIA
Mark Lockett

PWS Virtual directories on localhost

Post by Kevin Spence » Fri, 06 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi Mark,

If I understand you correctly, your complaint is that if you use "mypc"
instead of "localhost" for your domain name in the URL, you won't be able to
Administer the web server remotely? You won't be able to in any case, unless
you're talking about administering it over a LAN. Why? Because "mypc" and
"localhost" are BOTH "local" domain names, local to your LAN or machine. In
fact, it seems that "localhost" is NOT a local domain name for your machine,
since it doesn't work locally. You would have to add it to the list of local
domain names for your computer to use it.

BUT, if you want to be able to administer it remotely, you would have to
know the Internet IP address of your machine. Unless you are using a cable
or DSL modem, this address will change every time you log on to the Internet
from that machine, as each time a new computer requests access to the
network, it is assigned a temporary IP address by the Internet.

--
Kevin Spencer
Site Design by TAKempis