Frames and external URLs

Post by Jose Oliva » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I have been asked to make a site that is frame based and has hyperlinks to
external URLs.  I know that if I want to use frames I "Target" my link to
the frame I want to see it in and I do the same for the external URL.  My
question is, is it possible to contain the navigation of the external URL in
my "main" frame once you begin using their (the external URL's)Hyperlinks?
Is this clear?

Example:
I have 3 frames, left, bottom and main.

I know if I use the "left" frame as a TOC links page I can target them into
my "main" frame.  Now if one of the hyperlinks on my TOC is say a link to
your website, I can target your site into my "main" frame, but once I hit
one of your hyperlinks I lose my left and bottom frames because your links
are not targeted to my "main" frame.  Is it possible on my end to suppress
all of that into my "main" frame?

--
Jose L. Olivas
www.realitybytesdi.com

Frames and external URLs

Post by MD WebsUnlimited.co » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Jose,

By default the links from the external site will be displayed in the frame
that the external site is displayed in provided the site being viewed does
not use a frame breaker or use a _top target.

--
Mike
FrontPage Microsoft MVP

Quote:> I have been asked to make a site that is frame based and has hyperlinks to
> external URLs.  I know that if I want to use frames I "Target" my link to
> the frame I want to see it in and I do the same for the external URL.  My
> question is, is it possible to contain the navigation of the external URL
in
> my "main" frame once you begin using their (the external URL's)Hyperlinks?
> Is this clear?

> Example:
> I have 3 frames, left, bottom and main.

> I know if I use the "left" frame as a TOC links page I can target them
into
> my "main" frame.  Now if one of the hyperlinks on my TOC is say a link to
> your website, I can target your site into my "main" frame, but once I hit
> one of your hyperlinks I lose my left and bottom frames because your links
> are not targeted to my "main" frame.  Is it possible on my end to suppress
> all of that into my "main" frame?

> --
> Jose L. Olivas
> www.realitybytesdi.com
> Reality Bytes Digital Imaging
> Tucson, Arizona

Frames and external URLs

Post by Stephen Travi » Thu, 11 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Modify the frames page to set the default target for the frame...

  <frame name="contents" target="main" src="frame1.htm">
  <frame name="main" target="main" src="frame2.htm">