FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Post by inventor8 » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Chapter 15, "Web Scripting Languages," describes and shows you how to use
JavaScript and Visual Basic Script with your FrontPage webs.

----- Read this chapter in the bookstore would someone who has this book
comment on this chapter - think I will buy this book but wish it had FP
Extensions on the cd so I could build my
internaut easier.

thanks
Inven...@ix.netcom.com

FrontPage 2000 The Complete Reference (Matthews & Poulsen) + CD-ROM

From the Authors' Introduction
As the interest in the Internet and its World Wide Web has skyrocketed, so
has the desire of both organizations and individuals to have a presence
there, to put up their own web sites and be a part of the Internet
phenomenon. At the same time, organizations are using the same technology to
install intranets at a geometric rate, and therefore they have the need to
create their own web sites to use internally. The problem has been that the
tools to create both Internet and intranet web sites have been very crude
and anything but easy to use. FrontPage has changed all of that. FrontPage
provides a very easy-to-use, full-featured set of tools for the
full-featured creation, delivery, and maintenance of web sites. And
FrontPage does this in a WYSIWYG environment where you can see what you are
doing as you are doing it.

Unfortunately, FrontPage comes with a slim manual that gives only the
briefest of instructions. FrontPage 2000: The Complete Reference fills this
void by giving you a clear, concise, hands-on guide to this extremely
powerful product.

About This Book
FrontPage 2000: The Complete Reference leads you through the planning,
creation, testing, deployment, and maintenance of both intranet and Internet
web sites with FrontPage. It does this using substantial real-world examples
and clear, step-by-step instructions. All of the major features of FrontPage
are explained and demonstrated in such a way that you can follow along and
see for yourself how each is used, including database connectivity, the
addition of multimedia, the creation of an e-commerce site, and the
incorporation of Java, ActiveX, JavaScript, and Visual Basic Script. In
addition, this book takes you beyond basic FrontPage web site creation and
introduces you to HTML, VRML, and XML and how to use them with FrontPage, as
well as how to set up an intranet site, how to manage Internet and intranet
security, and how to publish and promote your web site. FrontPage 2000: The
Complete Reference provides the one complete reference on how to make the
most of FrontPage. If you are going to purchase FrontPage, or if you already
use it, you need this book!

How This Book Is Organized
FrontPage 2000: The Complete Reference is written the way most people learn.
It starts by reviewing the basic concepts and then uses a learn-by-doing
method to demonstrate the major features of the product. Throughout, the
book uses detailed examples and clear explanations to give you the insight
needed to make the fullest use of FrontPage.

Part I, "Getting Started," introduces you to web sites and FrontPage; it
includes Chapters 1 through 5.

Chapter 1, "Designing and Creating Quality Web Applications," explores the
world of the Internet and intranets and looks at what makes good web pages.

Chapter 2, "Exploring FrontPage," takes you on a tour of the major FrontPage
features, giving you a taste of the power inherent in this product.

Chapter 3, "Using Wizards and Themes," shows you how to create webs and web
pages with these powerful tools.

Chapter 4, "Using Templates," not only demonstrates the use of templates in
creating both webs and web pages, but also how to create templates
themselves.

Chapter 5, "Creating Graphics with Image Composer and PhotoDraw," shows you
how to create and edit graphics that can be used in webs.

Part II, "Creating Web Sites," demonstrates each of the major features of
FrontPage by leading you through examples of their implementation; it
includes Chapters 6 through 12.

Chapter 6, "Creating and Formatting a Web Page from Scratch," sets aside the
wizards and templates and looks at the steps necessary to create a
full-featured web on your own.

Chapter 7, "Adding and Managing Hyperlinks and Hotspots," explores how to
add interactivity and interconnectedness to your web.

Chapter 8, "Using Tables and Frames," describes two completely different
methods of segmenting a page and shows how you can make the best use of
these tools.

Chapter 9, "Working with Forms," explains ways to let the web user
communicate back to you, the web creator.

Chapter 10, "Using FrontPage Components," describes how to automate some of
the web creation process and extend a web's interactive features.

Chapter 11, "Advanced Formatting Techniques," covers customizing themes,
creating and using style sheets, positioning and wrapping text, adding
Dynamic HTML animation effects, and choosing web-safe colors.

Chapter 12, "Importing and Integrating Office and Other Files," shows you
how to use existing (or legacy) files in your intranet and Internet webs.

Part III, "Working Behind the Scenes," delves into the inner workings of a
web site by exploring the languages behind and ways of activating a web; it
includes Chapters 13 through 19.

Chapter 13, "Working with HTML," provides an extensive introduction to the
HTML language and how to use it with FrontPage.

Chapter 14, "Advanced Markup Languages (DHTML, VRML, and XML)," looks into
the expanding frontiers of web applications with the latest additions to the
programmer's toolbox.

Chapter 15, "Web Scripting Languages," describes and shows you how to use
JavaScript and Visual Basic Script with your FrontPage webs.

Chapter 16, "Active Server Pages," explores how to create and use JavaScript
and VBScript to control and run tasks on the web server to greatly expand
the capability of a web.

Chapter 17, "Advanced Active Server Pages," takes a deeper look at the
functionality Active Server Pages brings to web applications.

Chapter 18, "Working with Databases," introduces you to interactive
databases and shows you how to incorporate them in your own FrontPage webs
to dynamically change the webs' contents.

Chapter 19, "Activating Your Webs," describes how Java and ActiveX can be
used to activate web sites and then shows you how to incorporate them in
your own webs.

Part IV, "Extending Your Web Site," covers ways of extending and enhancing
what you can do with FrontPage; it includes Chapters 20 through 24.

Chapter 20, "Adding Multimedia to Your Web Site," shows you how to add
regular and streaming audio files, both prerecorded and live, to your web
site.

Chapter 21, "Security on the Web," looks at what the Internet and intranet
security issues are and explains what you can do to minimize the risks.

Chapter 22, "Doing E-Commerce," explores the issues behind doing business on
the Web and then explains how to build a web store.

Chapter 23, "Setting Up an Intranet Web Site," leads you through the steps
to create an intranet in your organization and describes a case study of
doing it in an intermediate sized firm.

Chapter 24, "Publishing and Promoting Webs on the Internet," looks at how to
locate an Internet service provider, how to transfer your completed webs to
their servers, and then how to promote your webs once they're online.

Part V. "Appendixes," concludes FrontPage 2000: The Complete Reference.
Appendix A, "Installing FrontPage 2000," provides a detailed set of
instructions on how to install the FrontPage related components in the
Microsoft Office 2000 Premium Edition or stand-alone FrontPage 2000
packages.
Appendix B, "Creating Web Templates," shows you a thorough example of how to
create a web template.

CD-ROM Contents:
Examples used throughout the book
Share, freeware & evaluation versions of commercial web tools:
EasyHelp/Web v3 (30-day evaluation)
EasyHTML/Help Version 1.0a (30-day evaluation)
FileFerret
GoldWave v4.02
HTMLib 4.0
HVS ColorGIF 2.0 Demo
HVS JPEG 2.0 Demo
InfoFerret
Jamba (30-day evaluation)
JDesigner Pro 3.0
J-Perk (formerly known as Java Perk) (30-day evaluation)
Multiquence v1.02
Selena Sol's Scripts
SitePad Pro (15-day evaluation)
WebFerret
Web Weaver 98 (30-day evaluation)
WebWorks Publisher (30-day evaluation)
WinZip (30-day evaluation)

953 pages. Includes CD-ROM

----

Publisher: Osborne McGraw-Hill; Price IR50.58; ISBN: 0-07-211939-X; Order
Code: 7405

--

invento...@worldnet.att.net

Greg Buell PO Box 1113 Boulder CO 80306
Phone  303 443 6270

http://www.trion-systems.com/invent/
trion-systems.com has Microsoft Front Page 98 Extensions
I don't publish anything new to att or netcom because
I use Front Page 98 to publish my web page
and att and netcom don't offer Microsoft's FP 98 Extensions
http://www.netcom.com/~inventor/home.html
http://home.att.net/~inventor84/index.html

"1,001 THINGS YOU CAN INVENT" - ON A CD ROM -
WITH TIPS $$ TO GET YOU WORKING ON 1,001 INVENTIONS!"
BY GREG BUELL COPYRIGHT 1998
CD WILL BE ON SALE SOON

Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Post by sirhard » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

The FP extensions are on the cd, there are two exe siles one of them is the
one you need.

sir

--
State of the Art E-commerce Web Hosting
http://www.appliedi.net/sf2000

"never be afraid to ask a question, good things come in answers"

inventor84 <invento...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> [...]

> Code: 7405

> --

> invento...@worldnet.att.net

> Greg Buell PO Box 1113 Boulder CO 80306
> Phone  303 443 6270

> http://www.trion-systems.com/invent/
> trion-systems.com has Microsoft Front Page 98 Extensions
> I don't publish anything new to att or netcom because
> I use Front Page 98 to publish my web page
> and att and netcom don't offer Microsoft's FP 98 Extensions
> http://www.netcom.com/~inventor/home.html
> http://home.att.net/~inventor84/index.html

> "1,001 THINGS YOU CAN INVENT" - ON A CD ROM -
> WITH TIPS $$ TO GET YOU WORKING ON 1,001 INVENTIONS!"
> BY GREG BUELL COPYRIGHT 1998
> CD WILL BE ON SALE SOON

> Name the 10 nearest stars to Earth....
> Alpha Centauri 4.3 light years

FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Post by MD [MS MVP » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm not sure which book your in reference to but I recommend Using FP 2000
Special Edition.

The FP extension can be downloaded from the MS FP site

Mike

 J-Bots Plus 2000 For FrontPage 2000
50 Components in all - Cookies / Images / Forms
http://www.websunlimited.com/jbots2000_intro.htm
14 day trial http://websunlimited.com/free_demo.htm

> [...]

> WebFerret
> Web Weaver 98 (30-day evaluation)
> WebWorks Publisher (30-day evaluation)
> WinZip (30-day evaluation)

> 953 pages. Includes CD-ROM

> ----

> Publisher: Osborne McGraw-Hill; Price IR50.58; ISBN: 0-07-211939-X; Order
> Code: 7405

> --

> invento...@worldnet.att.net

> Greg Buell PO Box 1113 Boulder CO 80306
> Phone  303 443 6270

> http://www.trion-systems.com/invent/
> trion-systems.com has Microsoft Front Page 98 Extensions
> I don't publish anything new to att or netcom because
> I use Front Page 98 to publish my web page
> and att and netcom don't offer Microsoft's FP 98 Extensions
> http://www.netcom.com/~inventor/home.html
> http://home.att.net/~inventor84/index.html

> "1,001 THINGS YOU CAN INVENT" - ON A CD ROM -

read more »

FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Post by inventor8 » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Using FP 2000
Special Edition

----- looked this up and found that the cd is no good
----- I'm looking for a cd with FP Extensions so I don't have to down load
them and having the book in a html intranet would be great too wonder why
a FP book and cd did not think of putting the book as a intranet on the cd

I would like to do this with my web page as I have a cd burner...

FrontPage 2000 The Complete Reference (Matthews & Poulsen) + CD-ROM

> > Chapter 23, "Setting Up an Intranet Web Site," leads you through the
steps
> > to create an intranet in your organization and describes a case study of
> > doing it in an intermediate sized firm.

Anyone use this above to set up a intranet ?
What would be the stept to burn this on a cd ?

thanks
inven...@ix.netcom.com

I went to the local Barnes & Noble and checked out all the books on FP 2000.
This one goes into greater depth, has 3-4 times the number of pages (1200+)
and is cheaper than most the others. If it hadn't wasted my time with a
worthless CD, I would have given it 5 stars. The CD had 35 themes (30 of
which had no installer), some cheesy demoware and a useless PDF version of
the book.

MD [MS MVP] <fpn...@websunlimited.com> wrote in message

> [...]

web
> > site.

> > Chapter 21, "Security on the Web," looks at what the Internet and
intranet
> > security issues are and explains what you can do to minimize the risks.

> > Chapter 22, "Doing E-Commerce," explores the issues behind doing
business
> on
> > the Web and then explains how to build a web store.

> > Chapter 23, "Setting Up an Intranet Web Site," leads you through the
steps
> > to create an intranet in your organization and describes a case study of
> > doing it in an intermediate sized firm.

> > Chapter 24, "Publishing and Promoting Webs on the Internet," looks at
how
> > locate an Internet service provider, how to transfer your completed webs

read more »

FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Post by David Berr » Mon, 30 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Do you have FP2000?  If so, the extensions are on that CD.

--
====================================
David Berry - MCP, MVP

> [...]

> > > Chapter 17, "Advanced Active Server Pages," takes a deeper look at the
> > > functionality Active Server Pages brings to web applications.

> > > Chapter 18, "Working with Databases," introduces you to interactive
> > > databases and shows you how to incorporate them in your own FrontPage
> webs
> > > to dynamically change the webs' contents.

> > > Chapter 19, "Activating Your Webs," describes how Java and ActiveX can
> be
> > > used to activate web sites and then shows you how to incorporate them
in
> > > your own webs.

> > > Part IV, "Extending Your Web Site," covers ways of extending and
> enhancing
> > > what you can do with FrontPage; it includes Chapters 20 through 24.

read more »

FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Post by Wray Smallwoo » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Do you have FP2000?  If so, the extensions are on that CD.

And they will be installed automatically if your machine is the server.

Post by inventor8 » Tue, 31 Aug 1999 04:00:00

FrontPage 2000 The Complete Reference (Matthews & Poulsen) + CD-ROM

I bought the book a hour ago $53
Only one in Barns and Nobel with a chapter on Intranet set up

Still need a chapter on how to burn the cd with
FP2000 extensions ---

if the extensions are in the intranet directory

or somewhere else on c drive ?

Found only one book with cd on JavaScript where the cd was index.htm
for the table of contents of the cd, this is what I want to do with my book.

--

Greg Buell PO Box 1113 Boulder CO 80306
Phone  303 443 6270

http://www.trion-systems.com/invent/
trion-systems.com has Microsoft Front Page 98 Extensions

> > Do you have FP2000?  If so, the extensions are on that CD.

> And they will be installed automatically if your machine is the server.

FP 2000 ref book I think I will buy has anyone bought this book ?

Post by Jens Peter Karlsen [FP MV » Wed, 01 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Not possible you can't run a Server (and thus not the Extensions) from
CD. You can use Java and JavaScript as a Server is not required.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:17:44 -0700, "inventor84"

>Still need a chapter on how to burn the cd with
>FP2000 extensions ---

1. Which FP-2000 book to buy?

I need a good tutorial and reference book for FP-2000 that would take me from
intermediate up to expert level.

I've searched Amazon's web site and narrowed down my choices to the following:

- Microsoft FrontPage 2000: Step by Step (Active Education)
- Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Bible (David Elderbrock, David Karlins)
- Running Microsoft FrontPage 2000 (Jim Buyens)
- FrontPage 2000: Developer's Guide (Mike Jennet)

Any suggestions?

2. Where is the audio api?

3. Can you recommend a book for me to buy to learn Front Page 97 and 98?

4. How to get an Click event in a Map

5. proxy needed

6. Which book to buy?

7. mortgage account questions

8. To Buy, or not to Buy...

9. IS BUYING FP 2000 BECAUSE OF PRICE A MISTAKE?

10. Where to buy FP 2000

11. Where to Buy fp 2000

12. Where to buy FP 2000?