Wierdest Problem World Has Ever Known. Ever.

Wierdest Problem World Has Ever Known. Ever.

Post by n.. » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Just another possibility. Does your ISP cache web pages? I ran into
the problem of not being able to see updates when I made changes and
found out my ISP was caching pages to cut down on their outgoing
bandwidth.

> [...]
>thought it was kind of a weird problem too. Hmmm... learn something new
>every day.   I'll just try emptying the temp files.

>> When is the last time you deleted your FP temp files?  windows temp files?

>> --

>> Tom Pepper
>> Web Mangler & Director of Marketing
>> Sharp Communication, Inc. - Huntsville, Alabama
>> "A Great Solution Doesn't Have to be Complicated"
>> --

>> >I've got a website at http://207.114.165.30.  It was done completely in
>> >FrontPage 98, and until now everything has worked fine.  The problem is
>> that
>> >when I update a page and save it, I can't see the changes when I hit
>> >"preview in browser" or when I try to access it normally through the
>> >browser.  Everyone else can see the changes, and according to the
>FrontPage
>> >editor the page is updated properly.  If I download the page directly
>> >through WS_FTP or run it from the server it shows the changes just as it
>> >should.  If I go to the address of the last page I updated, and throw an
>> >extra slash or two in between the server name and the file name
>> >(http://207.114.165.30//planning.htm) even I see the update correctly.
>> I've
>> >searched our hard drive for cached versions and there are none. I have
>> >emptied the cache of our browsers several times to no avail.  The problem
>> is
>> >identical in both Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator.  The first
>time
>> >I hit the page with Netscape it loaded the older page, and I had never
>even
>> >been to that page with Navigator.  Each time I access the page dialup
>> >networking is active and transferring data, so it's pulling the material
>> >from a server somewhere.  I can even delete pages from the web and they
>> >still appear active.  I've made sure as well that my changes aren't being
>> >commented out, and that I'm not publishing to some other server or subweb
>> >without realizing it.  Every once in a while changes that I make will
>> >suddenly start appearing just as they should, but right now a page that I
>> >deleted yesterday is still showing up when I try to hit it.  FrontPage
>> >editor and WS_FTP show the page to be gone, but I'm still hitting it
>> through
>> >the browsers.  The only way I can see an updated page immediately without
>> >using the extra slash is to create a new page with a file name that
>hasn't
>> >been used before. However, once it is created if I change it or delete it
>> >the browsers still load the previous version.

>> >I'd appreciate any ideas of what might possibly be happening.

>> >Thank you
>> >Alan Edwards
>> >City of Weatherford

Wierdest Problem World Has Ever Known. Ever.

Post by Curloo Bicycle » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Nearly all isp's run proxy servers, otherwise people would be
using far to much bandwidth for crap.

Just insert a no-cache javascript line into your header that forces
the page to reload every time.

LW

--
Curloo Bicycles