Why does hitting ENTER insert two spaces, instead of one?

Why does hitting ENTER insert two spaces, instead of one?

Post by Jim Rockford, P. » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:53:51

This happens especially when I am editing HTML files in FrontPage 2000.

TIA.
Harry
http://oldies.arepopular.com

Why does hitting ENTER insert two spaces, instead of one?

Post by Jack Brewste » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:02:23

"Jim" ;)

When you say "two spaces" are you referring to the whitespace that appears
between paragraphs?  Kind of like this:

Paragraph 1

Paragraph 2

If so, that is because it is part of the HTML specification, it's not
anything to do with FrontPage specifically.  The specification tells the
browser developers that whenever there is a paragraph, put some whitespace
after it.  This was decided because it make text on screen easier to read.

But sometimes, you just want single spacing, like this:

Paragraph1
Paragraph2

If that's the case with you, there's an easy way to achieve this effect.
When you are typing your text and you get to the end of the first paragraph,
instead of hitting "Enter" hit Shift + Enter.  This will insert a line break
and give you the single spaced paragraphs you are looking for.

Good luck!

--
Jack Brewster - Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Quote:> This happens especially when I am editing HTML files in FrontPage 2000.

> TIA.
> Harry
> http://oldies.arepopular.com

Why does hitting ENTER insert two spaces, instead of one?

Post by DI » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:02:38

For one space hit | Shift | Enter |

Quote:> This happens especially when I am editing HTML files in FrontPage 2000.

> TIA.
> Harry
> http://oldies.arepopular.com

Why does hitting ENTER insert two spaces, instead of one?

Post by Rick Budd » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:12:11

Tyr Shift-Enter.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>This happens especially when I am editing HTML files in
FrontPage 2000.

>TIA.
>Harry
>http://oldies.arepopular.com
>.

Why does hitting ENTER insert two spaces, instead of one?

Post by carme » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 02:15:00

For a single carriage return, click Ctrl + Enter.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----

Post by Jim Rockford, P. » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:44:54

> Tyr Shift-Enter.

Thanks. SHIFT-ENTER worked.

Harry

1. Doing two things with one click ... possible?

I've been struggling with this for some time, and can't
come up with a way to do this.  I've even seen implementations
of this type of thing on sites and I still can't figure it out.

Say I have a top frame with a navigation menu and a bottom
frame to display the content based on what is clicked in the menu.

When the menu item is clicked, I want to do two things

1.    Change the menu page itself to show a menu image
with the selected item 'highlighted'

2.    Change the content page to reflect the proper content.

It seems like I'm trying to get this one click to do two things.

A really good implementation of this is at http://www.dtdesign.com
The menu changes in the top frame, the content changes in the
bottom frame.

Can anyone help with some step-by-step directions for a relative
newbie to this stuff?

RM

2. Implementing the Core API of Adobe's PDFL

3. Can I have a single space instead of a double space with new paragraph?

4. Interesting 8Mb graphics card

5. Why is "Hit Counter" greyed out not allowing me to add one??

6. how safe is swinstall?

7. Advancing to next form field with Enter key instead of Tab

8. CSS Runtime error

9. how to change [Enter] to make a <br> instead of <p>

10. DOS names instead of LONG file names

11. Hit Counter counts more than one hit per visit to home page.

12. Why Why Why Why is it so?