Setting up a multiple search...HOW?

Post by !!POS » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 06:51:11

Hi
I would like to know how to Search fields in my database but on an advance
level.
There are about 6 fields that has to be searched at the same time. The form
will consist mostly out of dropdown boxes.with values between 0 (for no data
and) 5. the values for these fields will also be 0 to 5 in the table in the
database.so if u search for 0 in the DB then it will return a value because
one(or more) of the field's values are 0
How do i get around this.....?

Also some of the search criteria will be fields that the user
enters(textbox) and the search must look for something "LIKE" or "Contains"
in the DB for that text box.

I have no idea how to do this advance search in Frontpage...?
Pls need some help

Or a website that i can read up on this...???

Regards

Setting up a multiple search...HOW?

Post by David Berr » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 07:56:58

You can't dp this with FP by itself.  You'll have to use some type of coding
such as ASP.  Basically you'd be building the SQL search string "on the fly"
based on different criteria.  Ex:

If Request.Form(FIELDNAME) = 0 Then
    sql = sql & "Where .....

Else............
    sql = sql & "Where .....

End If

There are some good ASP sites at:
www.takempis.com, www.learnasp.com, www.powerasp.com, www.asp101.com

--
====================================
David Berry - MCP

Quote:> Hi
> I would like to know how to Search fields in my database but on an advance
> level.
> There are about 6 fields that has to be searched at the same time. The
form
> will consist mostly out of dropdown boxes.with values between 0 (for no
data
> and) 5. the values for these fields will also be 0 to 5 in the table in
the
> database.so if u search for 0 in the DB then it will return a value
because
> one(or more) of the field's values are 0
> How do i get around this.....?

> Also some of the search criteria will be fields that the user
> enters(textbox) and the search must look for something "LIKE" or
"Contains"
> in the DB for that text box.

> I have no idea how to do this advance search in Frontpage...?
> Pls need some help

> Or a website that i can read up on this...???

> Regards

Setting up a multiple search...HOW?

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:01:03

Do you want to try using the Database Results Wizard or do you want to do
this 'by hand'?

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Spider Web Woman Designs

http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/

[...]

Post by !!POS » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 03:17:22

which-ever is easiest, i am not a asp or sql  expert...

I just need help to get this done ASAP as it is keeping me up with finishing
my site....this is the last thing i must do....

Regards

And thanx for the help

> Do you want to try using the Database Results Wizard or do you want to do
> this 'by hand'?

> --
> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Spider Web Woman Designs

> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/

> Hi
> I would like to know how to Search fields in my database but on an advance
> level.
> There are about 6 fields that has to be searched at the same time. The
form
> will consist mostly out of dropdown boxes.with values between 0 (for no
data
> and) 5. the values for these fields will also be 0 to 5 in the table in
the
> database.so if u search for 0 in the DB then it will return a value
because
> one(or more) of the field's values are 0
> How do i get around this.....?

> Also some of the search criteria will be fields that the user
> enters(textbox) and the search must look for something "LIKE" or
"Contains"
> in the DB for that text box.

> I have no idea how to do this advance search in Frontpage...?
> Pls need some help

> Or a website that i can read up on this...???

> Regards

Setting up a multiple search...HOW?

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:34:32

Webmaster:

Here's some links to get you started:
Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Web Database Tutorial
http://support.microsoft.com/support/frontpage/fp2000/WebDB.asp

Collect Data on the Web More Easily with FrontPage 2000
http://www.microsoft.com/insider/articles/colldata.htm

Publishing your database to the web
http://www.chilisoft.com/psiwebasp/dresults.htm

To add additional search boxes, in Step 3 of the wizard, click More Options,
and add more search criteria.

To change text boxes to dropdowns, see this:
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/dbrwtipsandtricks.asp#dropdown

Good luck!