Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by miketott » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> 3.  The bottom line is still to have fun, but to have fun with open eyes,
> patience, and understanding.

Are you beta-testing?

                        miketotty

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Peter Perchansk » Sat, 09 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Greetings:

Please keep the following FACTS in mind about the Microsoft FrontPage 98
BETA.

1.  This is a BETA product.  This means Microsoft FrontPage 98 is still in
testing, and YOU are the testers.

This means that there may be bugs in this product, and those bugs may or
may not impact other programs that you use.

PLEASE read all of the documentation that comes with the Microsoft
FrontPage 98 BETA PRIOR to installing the BETA.

PLEASE backup your computer system including your web content PRIOR to
installing the BETA.

If you use "uninstaller" like products, PLEASE use that products logging
facility PRIOR to installing the BETA.

2.  Unless your provider has installed the BETA 98 extensions, SOME of the
bots and features will not function on your remote server.

Microsoft has stated they WILL NOT provide free support to ISP's and WPP's
in terms of  installing and using the BETA 98 Extensions.

Since this is a BETA product, those ISP's and WPP's who do not want to
jeopardize the reliability of their servers will either setup one or more
test machine or wait until FrontPage 98 extensions are released.

So please be considerate to all ISP's and WPP's in this matter as they have
to consider ALL of their customers in terms of reliability and other
issues.

3.  The bottom line is still to have fun, but to have fun with open eyes,
patience, and understanding.

Peter Perchansky,  Computer Consultant & Microsoft FrontPage MVP
PMP Computer Solutions
Custom CGI?  Yes, we do that too!
FrontPage Web Hosting at http://www.pmpcs.com/services/fpwebhosting.htm
FrontPage Support http://www.pmpcs.com/support/frontpage.htm

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by MD » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

The best advice is to not install it on a production box.

To install it standalone at first to see what problems it offers -- this is
especially true if you using other beta products (Memphis, I.E. PP2, etc)
Add these and other programs after FP 98 has been used awhile.

Don't make configuration changes (FP PWS to MS PWS)

Make a back up of the Registry prior to the install of any product.

--
MD - Microsoft Frontpage MVP
http://WebsUnlimited.com

Quote:> Greetings:

> Please keep the following FACTS in mind about the Microsoft FrontPage 98
> BETA.

> 1.  This is a BETA product.  This means Microsoft FrontPage 98 is still
in
> testing, and YOU are the testers.

> This means that there may be bugs in this product, and those bugs may or
> may not impact other programs that you use.

> PLEASE read all of the documentation that comes with the Microsoft
> FrontPage 98 BETA PRIOR to installing the BETA.

> PLEASE backup your computer system including your web content PRIOR to
> installing the BETA.

> If you use "uninstaller" like products, PLEASE use that products logging
> facility PRIOR to installing the BETA.

> 2.  Unless your provider has installed the BETA 98 extensions, SOME of
the
> bots and features will not function on your remote server.

> Microsoft has stated they WILL NOT provide free support to ISP's and
WPP's
> in terms of  installing and using the BETA 98 Extensions.

> Since this is a BETA product, those ISP's and WPP's who do not want to
> jeopardize the reliability of their servers will either setup one or more
> test machine or wait until FrontPage 98 extensions are released.

> So please be considerate to all ISP's and WPP's in this matter as they
have
> to consider ALL of their customers in terms of reliability and other
> issues.

> 3.  The bottom line is still to have fun, but to have fun with open eyes,
> patience, and understanding.

> --
> Peter Perchansky,  Computer Consultant & Microsoft FrontPage MVP
> PMP Computer Solutions
> Custom CGI?  Yes, we do that too!
> FrontPage Web Hosting at http://www.pmpcs.com/services/fpwebhosting.htm
> FrontPage Support http://www.pmpcs.com/support/frontpage.htm

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Warren Lauzo » Sun, 10 Aug 1997 04:00:00

   Do you know if it will be possible to install it totally seperate from
the FP97 that I have installed (on a different drive)?  Or will it do funny
things to the registry? (dumb question, EVERYTHING does funny things to the
registry <g>).

Quote:>The best advice is to not install it on a production box.

>To install it standalone at first to see what problems it offers -- this is
>especially true if you using other beta products (Memphis, I.E. PP2, etc)
>Add these and other programs after FP 98 has been used awhile.

>Don't make configuration changes (FP PWS to MS PWS)

>Make a back up of the Registry prior to the install of any product.

>--

begin 666 Warren Lauzon.vcf

M,C,Q-PT*5$5,.U=/4DL[1D%8.C8P,B X-S(M.3(Q-0T*0412.U=/4DLZ.U!H

M.U=/4DL[14Y#3T1)3D<]455/5$5$+5!224Y404),13I0:&]E;FEX/3!$/3!!

M55),.FAT=' Z+R]W=W<N=VEN9'-U;BYC;VT-"D5-04E,.U!2148[24Y415).

`
end
end

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Jens Peter Karls » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

As of Monday there should be a separate newsgroup for Frontpage 98.
Please post all your questions about FP98 in that Newsgroup. As soon
as this Newsgroup is up I for one will NOT answer questions about FP
98 in this Newsgroup.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

Quote:>Greetings:

>Please keep the following FACTS in mind about the Microsoft FrontPage 98
>BETA.

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Warren Lauzo » Mon, 11 Aug 1997 04:00:00

   Do you know what news server that will be on?

>As of Monday there should be a separate newsgroup for Frontpage 98.
>Please post all your questions about FP98 in that Newsgroup. As soon
>as this Newsgroup is up I for one will NOT answer questions about FP
>98 in this Newsgroup.

>Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

>>Greetings:

>>Please keep the following FACTS in mind about the Microsoft FrontPage 98
>>BETA.

begin 666 Warren Lauzon.vcf

M,C,Q-PT*5$5,.U=/4DL[1D%8.C8P,B X-S(M.3(Q-0T*0412.U=/4DLZ.U!H

M.U=/4DL[14Y#3T1)3D<]455/5$5$+5!224Y404),13I0:&]E;FEX/3!$/3!!

M55),.FAT=' Z+R]W=W<N=VEN9'-U;BYC;VT-"D5-04E,.U!2148[24Y415).

`
end
end

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Dan Aaronso » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

 Why would MS go through all the trouble of having us test FP 98, and NOT
BEING ABLE TO USE THE BOTS! I'm having trouble with the simple Hit Counter
bot! If I read your message correctly, this means have to go back to using a
non-MS hit counter bot!.
Kinda of stupid of them if ya ask me.
Dan Aaronson

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Aaro » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Thank you, Peter, for injecting a note of sanity to all of the rabid "beta
buzz".  I know it's always existed, but it seems to me it's been much worse
around IE4 and FP98.  People are rushing to get "the latest thing" and then
getting upset when it doesn't work correctly or crashes their system or
they find that it isn't yet widely supported.

At one time, there was a certain level of qualification expected of
beta-testers.  Now it seems everyone wants to be the first on the block
with the latest toy.  Please folks, heed Peter's caution here.  Beta means
that it's not ready for prime-time, and the clamor for updates and upgrades
only encourages the software makers to shove product into the pipeline
before it's ready - which leaves us all with dribbleware and patches and
service packs and updates.

-Aaron

Quote:> Greetings:

Post by William G. Schla » Thu, 14 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>Thank you, Peter, for injecting a note of sanity to all of the rabid "beta
>buzz".  I know it's always existed, but it seems to me it's been much worse
>around IE4 and FP98.  People are rushing to get "the latest thing" and then
>getting upset when it doesn't work correctly or crashes their system or
>they find that it isn't yet widely supported.

No sale. Let's stop waving that tattered Microsoft flag and talk some
common sense. Both as a end user of many of their products AND a
stockholder, I'm pissed at Microsoft, as if you couldn't tell from the
tone of some of my recent posts if you've read them.

There simply isn't any excuse for a application in it's 3rd release to
still contain bugs first noticed and reported as such in the first
release over a year and a half ago. That's pure and simple sloppy
programming. Just because it's coming from Microsoft, doesn't give
them a license to cut corners. In fact I hold them to a higher
standard since they are by far the largest software company. So why
the sloppy work?

New features are fine. Fixing old problems FIRST is more important.

Yes a beta is a beta. Understood.

Are you aware that before the beta is released for general testing, it
HAS been through extensive testing by 'select' beta testers Microsoft
hand picks and before that there's Alpha testers?

That's the real problem. Microsoft obviously is doing one of two
things, perhaps both. Using testers that are woefully inexperienced in
the products they're suppose to test, thus common errors get past them
as we see once the product is in general release and put through it's
paces by those who use them daily in real world situations and are all
too familiar with their many limitations.

Or Microsoft simply pays no attention to errors reported by testers,
and instead of fixing what's broke NOW, before offing the product for
sale, instead several months later cranks out yet another release and
expects everyone to cough up more money instead of making a
maintenance release to fix the bugs we all now are there and giving it
away to registered users like they should.

What I see at Microsoft is a GREED element at work. Don't forget
Microsoft has many millionaire employees. Just where do you think the
money comes from to make them that? Sooner or later customers resent
being taken advantage of. I mean how many times do I have to pay for
the same damn application before I get one that actually does what it
says it can on the box?

Does that put things in prospective?

Bill

Post by Davey Jone » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> As of Monday there should be a separate newsgroup for Frontpage 98.

As the saying goes with Microsoft products, "Not There (yet)". Checked.
That's why
there are still FP98 questions showing up here.

Davey

14 AUG 97

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Davey Jone » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> At one time, there was a certain level of qualification expected of
> beta-testers.  Now it seems everyone wants to be the first on the block
> with the latest toy.  Please folks, heed Peter's caution here.  Beta means
> that it's not ready for prime-time, and the clamor for updates and upgrades
> only encourages the software makers to shove product into the pipeline
> before it's ready - which leaves us all with dribbleware and patches and
> service packs and updates.

Valid points. I'm the only one here (currently) running FP98, and I'm
only
using it on the webs that are residing on my NTW machine. I've already
advised
not only the other web authors here but Microsoft about some fairly
crippling
errors, bugs and problems that I've come across (in addition to the
really
annoying "improvements" and "upgrades" that hamper productivity). I'm
still
relying on FP97 and Pagemill to get the webs done for real around here;
I'm
_testing_ FP98, not running it for real. Peter had a good point; pity
most of
the downloaders won't read all the way through...

Davey

14 AUG 97

Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA -- PLEASE READ

Post by Jens Peter Karls » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

It is there and has been since monday. Make sure the newsserver is
msnews.microsoft.com and refresh the list of available newsgroups.
Please keep further questions about FP98 in the new newsgroup
microsoft.public.frontpage98.eval. Thanks.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997 09:30:40 -0400, Davey Jones

>> As of Monday there should be a separate newsgroup for Frontpage 98.

>As the saying goes with Microsoft products, "Not There (yet)". Checked.
>That's why
>there are still FP98 questions showing up here.

>Davey

>14 AUG 97

1. Trouble reading FrontPage 98 Beta newsgroup

I have been trying to read microsoft.public.frontpage98.eval for the last
couple of nights and I can't see any posts. When I choose the newsgroup, it
says that numerous headers are being downloaded, but then none are
displayed. Is anyone else having any problems? I have been able to read
other newsgroups on the Microsoft server with no problems.

Thank you,
Sue McIntyre Barr

2. Converting null terminated string to double (evc)

3. Microsoft Makes Available Free Beta Of FrontPage 98

4. Booting Xterminal with TFTP on SGI - Solved by putting terminators on cables

5. Microsoft FrontPage 98 BETA Installation Notes

6. J200 and SCSI DIFF or SING Ended Harddisk

7. Looking for Microsoft FrontPage 2000 Beta, please help!

8. camd.library? (was Re: DMCS Upgrade)

9. FRONTPAGE 98 PROBLEM PLEASE READ THIS !!!!!!!!!!!

10. Question about frontpage 98 components, please read

11. FrontPage 98 on Windows 98 Beta 3

12. Microsoft please read this - Please comment

13. Frontpage EXPRESS or Microsoft FrontPage 98