URGENT-Please! Form problem! Some idea...

URGENT-Please! Form problem! Some idea...

Post by Lina Zaproud » Thu, 26 Apr 2001 19:17:17

Thank you Si for the explanation.
Actually, I tried editing the form "live" (following your advice) but it
didn't work.
The most bizzare things are happening: When I edit the page with the
form "live", if I check the preview in FP it looks fine (no FrontPage
Results....).
If I preview it in IE, same problem. I saved the live version, the same!

What I noticed is that the forms that seem to have a problem are the
ones in pages located in subfolders in my web (e.g.
www.mysite.com/Subfolder/frompage.htm), whereas the forms that work are
in the root directory (www.mysite.com/formpage.htm).
Also, I checked the source code of the published pages and the form
action code goes in the case of forms that don't work is like [
action="../_vti_bin/shtml.exe/Subfolder/formpage.htm" ],  whereas in
forms that work it's [ action="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/formpage.htm" ].

This suggests to me, that maybe the form "thinks" that the execution
script is located in a _vti_bin folder somewhere else (possibly in the
subfolder) and not in the _vti_bin folder in the root directory (where I
believe it is).

The thing is that when creating the form, I do not have a way of
"telling" it where the script is (this line of code is seen only in the
"live" page's source code).

Do you think this is relevant? Is there any way around it? Should there
be a _vti_bin folder in every subfolder to allow form scripts to be
executed?

Thanks again,
Lina.

> Oops - just realised I mispelled your name Lina  :o)

> Si

> > > Si: How could I configure the form after I publish it? If I do it
> "live"
> > or
> > > with a different editor to FrontPage, won't I have problems with
> > publishing
> > > again via FrontPage? (FP extensions get all screwed if you
> publish/upload
> > > files a different way).

> > Linda, you simply create the form layout locally on your PC - upload
> it to
> > your server, and configure it live - its that simple   :o)

> > Why would you use a different editor to change your FP created
> pages?

> > It wont affect the server extensions, if you do publish the form
> page
> again,
> > simply configure it again...or there is an option to "exclude this
> file
> when
> > publishing the web" under the page properties if you havent changed
> it but
> > need to publish the site.

> > Regards
> > Si

URGENT-Please! Form problem! Some idea...

Post by S » Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:53:12

Hi Lina,

I must admit I never let frontpage handle my forms - I always use ASP for
form processing.

Im therefore not sure if having your form in a subdirectory is causing the
form to display the [ frontpage message].

What you could try is moving one of your subdirectory forms into your root,
edit it so that it works, then move it back into teh subdirectory -
hopefully Frontpage will update the <form action="?"> hyperlink as
necessary.

From the <form action="?"> link you provided (for the forms that dont
work) - it would look as though FP is confused about the location of the
form handler.

Regards
Si

> Thank you Si for the explanation.
> Actually, I tried editing the form "live" (following your advice) but it
> didn't work.
> The most bizzare things are happening: When I edit the page with the
> form "live", if I check the preview in FP it looks fine (no FrontPage
> Results....).
> If I preview it in IE, same problem. I saved the live version, the same!

> What I noticed is that the forms that seem to have a problem are the
> ones in pages located in subfolders in my web (e.g.
> www.mysite.com/Subfolder/frompage.htm), whereas the forms that work are
> in the root directory (www.mysite.com/formpage.htm).
> Also, I checked the source code of the published pages and the form
> action code goes in the case of forms that don't work is like [
> action="../_vti_bin/shtml.exe/Subfolder/formpage.htm" ],  whereas in
> forms that work it's [ action="_vti_bin/shtml.exe/formpage.htm" ].

> This suggests to me, that maybe the form "thinks" that the execution
> script is located in a _vti_bin folder somewhere else (possibly in the
> subfolder) and not in the _vti_bin folder in the root directory (where I
> believe it is).

> The thing is that when creating the form, I do not have a way of
> "telling" it where the script is (this line of code is seen only in the
> "live" page's source code).

> Do you think this is relevant? Is there any way around it? Should there
> be a _vti_bin folder in every subfolder to allow form scripts to be
> executed?

> Thanks again,
> Lina.

> > Oops - just realised I mispelled your name Lina  :o)

> > Si

> > "live"
> > > or
> > > publishing
> > publish/upload

> > > Linda, you simply create the form layout locally on your PC - upload
> > it to
> > > your server, and configure it live - its that simple   :o)

> > > Why would you use a different editor to change your FP created
> > pages?

> > > It wont affect the server extensions, if you do publish the form
> > page
> > again,
> > > simply configure it again...or there is an option to "exclude this
> > file
> > when
> > > publishing the web" under the page properties if you havent changed
> > it but
> > > need to publish the site.

> > > Regards
> > > Si

1. URGENT-Please! Form problem!

Hi all.

I have a very strange problem with a couple of my forms.
When I upload the page with the form (e.g. a simple booking or
newsletter subscription form) the page shows "FrontPage Results
Component" before the form begins.
What happens when I try to submit it is I get the same page without the
"FrontPage Results Component" (as it should be from the beginning). If I
then submit it, it works fine.

This has happened with two forms (all the others, similar, work
perfectly) and it drives me crazy. I have tried everything to solve it,
checked the code, deleted and re-wrote the forms - the same!
All I know is, it is not a FP extensions problem. I told my host and
they re-installed them just in case - nothing!

Has this happened to anyone else? Can you help me resolve it? PLEASE!
Unfortunately, I cannot show you the forms because when they don't work
I take them down (nothing more annoying than forms that don't work in my
opinion).

Thank you in advance,
Lina.

2. 56k access

3. URGENT URGENT URGENT ------What the h@8l is going on.------- URGENT URGENT URGENT

4. Help in using RDO with Oracle 7.2

5. (URGENT) frontpage 2002 problems, could be extensions. (URGENT)

6. Remote Dial-up Networking

7. ASP PROBLEM WITHIN FP98 (URGENT URGENT HELP NEEDED)

8. Background problem - any ideas please?

9. Urgent, please help-Hit Counter Problems

10. Publishing Problem URGENT, please help if you can

11. URGENT form in Netcape problem

12. URGENT!! - Form Problems