Can't configure Server Extensions on Virtual Directory

Can't configure Server Extensions on Virtual Directory

Post by Jack Brewste » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 00:39:25

I posted this in the FPSE group and didn't get a single response so I'm
trying it here.  Thanks! - Jack

+++

Running W2K w/ IIS 5 w/ FPSE 2000

My site has several virtual directories in it, as well as regular web
content.  Several of the virtual directories either have the SE configured
or at least provide the option of installing them.  However I've created a
new virtual directory in this web and, when I right-click on the directory
and select All Tasks, the only option available is Permissions Wizard.  This
directory is located in the same place where all my other virtual
directories are.

I've run Recalculate Web on the site and I've also restarted IIS but to no
avail.  I've also run Check Server Extensions both on the IIS root as well
as on the web, still no luck there either.  I haven't tried rebooting the
server yet as it's our production server.

I've seen this before and it's intermittent (thus quite frustrating!).
Anyone know how to get over this hurdle?

Thanks,

Jack

Can't configure Server Extensions on Virtual Directory

Post by Jm » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 02:13:58

This has happened to me as well. I've done the same
trouble shooting ideas as well. On my win2k server, in
admin tools, services, I have restarted both "IIS Admin
Service" and also "Microsoft ISA Server Control"

This sometimes worked. Once it did not and I restarted my
server.  Best of luck to you.

Jm

If all else fails, grab some chain and attach it to both
your server and boat, voila! A new anchor!

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I posted this in the FPSE group and didn't get a single
response so I'm
>trying it here.  Thanks! - Jack

>+++

>Running W2K w/ IIS 5 w/ FPSE 2000

>My site has several virtual directories in it, as well
as regular web
>content.  Several of the virtual directories either have
the SE configured
>or at least provide the option of installing them.

However I've created a
Quote:>new virtual directory in this web and, when I right-

click on the directory
Quote:>and select All Tasks, the only option available is

Permissions Wizard.  This
Quote:>directory is located in the same place where all my
other virtual
>directories are.

>I've run Recalculate Web on the site and I've also

restarted IIS but to no
Quote:>avail.  I've also run Check Server Extensions both on

the IIS root as well
Quote:>as on the web, still no luck there either.  I haven't
tried rebooting the
>server yet as it's our production server.

>I've seen this before and it's intermittent (thus quite
frustrating!).
>Anyone know how to get over this hurdle?

>Thanks,

>Jack

>.

Can't configure Server Extensions on Virtual Directory

Post by Jimco Add-in » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 02:22:18

It appears to me that the virtual server isn't seen in the metabase.  If
that's the case, this is an IIS issue.

Do you see the vdir in the IIS snap-in?

--
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com

Quote:> This has happened to me as well. I've done the same
> trouble shooting ideas as well. On my win2k server, in
> admin tools, services, I have restarted both "IIS Admin
> Service" and also "Microsoft ISA Server Control"

> This sometimes worked. Once it did not and I restarted my
> server.  Best of luck to you.

> Jm

> If all else fails, grab some chain and attach it to both
> your server and boat, voila! A new anchor!

Post by Jack Brewste » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 03:38:12

Jim,

Could you elucidate your question?  I do see other Virtual Directories in
the Snap-in and many of the vdirs are configured with, or have the option to
configure, the FPSE.  Just not the new vdir I've created.

Jack

> It appears to me that the virtual server isn't seen in the metabase.  If
> that's the case, this is an IIS issue.

> Do you see the vdir in the IIS snap-in?

> --
> Jimco Add-ins
> http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> New section:  Insights
> Gain powerful insights into developing and
> managing your FrontPage Web!

> > This has happened to me as well. I've done the same
> > trouble shooting ideas as well. On my win2k server, in
> > admin tools, services, I have restarted both "IIS Admin
> > Service" and also "Microsoft ISA Server Control"

> > This sometimes worked. Once it did not and I restarted my
> > server.  Best of luck to you.

> > Jm

> > If all else fails, grab some chain and attach it to both
> > your server and boat, voila! A new anchor!

Post by Jack Brewste » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 05:12:48

Yeah, I have.  I've even gone so far as to create a totally brand-new vdir
using a brand-new directory name, just in case something was cached...

Jack

Post by Jimco Add-in » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 04:41:29

If you can see the vdir you are having trouble with in the snap-in, I guess
it should be okay.  Have you tried deleting and recreating the vdir?  (Not
the actual folder.  Just the vdir entry.)

--
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com
New section:  Insights
Gain powerful insights into developing and
managing your FrontPage Web!

> Jim,

> Could you elucidate your question?  I do see other Virtual Directories in
> the Snap-in and many of the vdirs are configured with, or have the option
> configure, the FPSE.  Just not the new vdir I've created.

> Jack

> > It appears to me that the virtual server isn't seen in the metabase.  If
> > that's the case, this is an IIS issue.

> > Do you see the vdir in the IIS snap-in?

> > --
> > Jimco Add-ins
> > http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> > New section:  Insights
> > Gain powerful insights into developing and
> > managing your FrontPage Web!

> > > This has happened to me as well. I've done the same
> > > trouble shooting ideas as well. On my win2k server, in
> > > admin tools, services, I have restarted both "IIS Admin
> > > Service" and also "Microsoft ISA Server Control"

> > > This sometimes worked. Once it did not and I restarted my
> > > server.  Best of luck to you.

> > > Jm

> > > If all else fails, grab some chain and attach it to both
> > > your server and boat, voila! A new anchor!

Post by Jimco Add-in » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 05:51:12

I have no idea, Jack.  Sorry.

--
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com
New section:  Insights
Gain powerful insights into developing and
managing your FrontPage Web!

> Yeah, I have.  I've even gone so far as to create a totally brand-new vdir
> using a brand-new directory name, just in case something was cached...

> Jack

> > If you can see the vdir you are having trouble with in the snap-in, I
> guess
> > it should be okay.  Have you tried deleting and recreating the vdir?
(Not
> > the actual folder.  Just the vdir entry.)

> > --
> > Jimco Add-ins
> > http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> > New section:  Insights
> > Gain powerful insights into developing and
> > managing your FrontPage Web!

> > > Jim,

> > > Could you elucidate your question?  I do see other Virtual Directories
> in
> > > the Snap-in and many of the vdirs are configured with, or have the
> option
> > > configure, the FPSE.  Just not the new vdir I've created.

> > > Jack

> If

Post by Jack Brewste » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:56:36

Well, an "I don't know" is better than what I got in the FPSE group which
was bupkus.

Thanks for pointing a few brain cells this way, Jim.

Jack

> I have no idea, Jack.  Sorry.

> --
> Jimco Add-ins
> http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> New section:  Insights
> Gain powerful insights into developing and
> managing your FrontPage Web!

> > Yeah, I have.  I've even gone so far as to create a totally brand-new
vdir
> > using a brand-new directory name, just in case something was cached...

> > Jack

> > > If you can see the vdir you are having trouble with in the snap-in, I
> > guess
> > > it should be okay.  Have you tried deleting and recreating the vdir?
> (Not
> > > the actual folder.  Just the vdir entry.)

> > > --
> > > Jimco Add-ins
> > > http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> > > New section:  Insights
> > > Gain powerful insights into developing and
> > > managing your FrontPage Web!

Directories
> > in
> > option

> > If

Post by Jimco Add-in » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 09:21:17

jack,

I can repro this.  Close the MMC and reopen it and the option to configure
SE appears.  Go figure.  Does that work for you?

--
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com
New section:  Insights
Gain powerful insights into developing and
managing your FrontPage Web!

> Well, an "I don't know" is better than what I got in the FPSE group which
> was bupkus.

> Thanks for pointing a few brain cells this way, Jim.

> Jack

> > I have no idea, Jack.  Sorry.

> > --
> > Jimco Add-ins
> > http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> > New section:  Insights
> > Gain powerful insights into developing and
> > managing your FrontPage Web!

> > > Yeah, I have.  I've even gone so far as to create a totally brand-new
> vdir
> > > using a brand-new directory name, just in case something was cached...

> > > Jack

> > > guess
> > (Not

> Directories
> > > in
> > > option

> metabase.
> > > If

Post by Jack Brewste » Wed, 18 Sep 2002 23:16:28

It's sporadic, but I'll try to repro it again.  I just added a new folder
and the "Configure" option was there.

Argh. :)

Jack

> jack,

> I can repro this.  Close the MMC and reopen it and the option to configure
> SE appears.  Go figure.  Does that work for you?

> --
> Jimco Add-ins
> http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> New section:  Insights
> Gain powerful insights into developing and
> managing your FrontPage Web!

> > Well, an "I don't know" is better than what I got in the FPSE group
which
> > was bupkus.

> > Thanks for pointing a few brain cells this way, Jim.

> > Jack

> > > I have no idea, Jack.  Sorry.

> > > --
> > > Jimco Add-ins
> > > http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> > > New section:  Insights
> > > Gain powerful insights into developing and
> > > managing your FrontPage Web!

> > vdir
cached...

> > > (Not

> > Directories

> > metabase.

Post by Jack Brewste » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 01:27:49

I got it to repro.

Now, though, I have vdirs that are 'magically' becoming subwebs of my
default site.  And no, I'm not adding the vdir under the default sites path.

When it rains, it pours, I guess. :)

Jack

Post by Jimco Add-in » Thu, 19 Sep 2002 00:05:21

I can always get it to work if I close the MMC and then reopen it after
creating the vdir.

--
Jimco Add-ins
http://www.jimcoaddins.com
New section:  Insights
Gain powerful insights into developing and
managing your FrontPage Web!

> It's sporadic, but I'll try to repro it again.  I just added a new folder
> and the "Configure" option was there.

> Argh. :)

> Jack

> > jack,

> > I can repro this.  Close the MMC and reopen it and the option to
configure
> > SE appears.  Go figure.  Does that work for you?

> > --
> > Jimco Add-ins
> > http://www.jimcoaddins.com
> > New section:  Insights
> > Gain powerful insights into developing and
> > managing your FrontPage Web!

> > > Well, an "I don't know" is better than what I got in the FPSE group
> which
> > > was bupkus.

> > > Thanks for pointing a few brain cells this way, Jim.

> > > Jack

> brand-new
> > > vdir
> cached...

> snap-in,
> vdir?

message

> > > Directories
> the

message

> > > metabase.

1. How to configure the new version of Server Extensions on Server Extension Administrator ?

I installed FP2000 after installing PWS on W98.  Ran the "Front Page Sever
Administrator", it says "There is a newer version if server extensions on
this machine.  To configure these extensions use the Server Extension
Administrator or the Internet Service Manager."  I run the Server Extension
Administrator,  which brings up Microsoft Management Console.  On the left
pane, under Console Root folder, there is a folder called FrontPage Server
Extensions.  So, how do I use this Management Console to configure the newer
Server Extensions?

2. Type1 eexec decryption ?

3. FP Server Extensions created a Virtual Directory ?

4. NBX 100 Issues

5. Virtual directory and security with Frontpage and Server Extension

6. CONSTRAINT PROBLEM

7. Can Server Side Includes be used with virtual servers / directories?

8. Vuelogin "Options" menu configuration(?)

9. Converting a virtual directory into a subweb without using FP Extensions GUI

10. FP Extension & Virtual Directories

11. Can't see virtual directories

12. Virtual directories aren't displayed in folder list of web

13. Can't see Virtual Directory in Frontpage 2000