"PWS" vs "FP PWS" vs "MS PWS" - Suggestion

"PWS" vs "FP PWS" vs "MS PWS" - Suggestion

Post by Kevin Spence » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

When I attempt to help people who write about the problems they're having, I
often have difficulty distinguishing what web server they're using, and
especially when discussing database-connectivity problems, it is very
important that you specify what web server you're using. So, I'm posting
this message in the hope that it will help clarify this issue. Please use
the following conventions when identifying your web server:

"FP PWS" or "FrontPage Personal Web Server" - This is the server which came
with FP 1.0 and FP 97. It is a very limited server, and will not run ASP or
IDC, or even CGI. You can easily identify it by checking the location of the
webs on your hard drive: If they are located in the \FrontPage Webs\Content
folder then you are using this web server. It also doesn't use a browser for
administration, but an executable file called fpsrvwin.exe, located in your
\Program Files\FrontPage folder.

"MS PWS" or "Microsoft Personal Web Server" - This is the "other" web server
which came in the Bonus Pack of FP 97, and is the ONLY web server which
comes with FP 98. Webs on this server reside in the \Webshare\WWWRoot folder
on your hard drive. If you're running this, you should see an icon that
looks like a computer sitting in front of a globe, on your taskbar. It is
administered by browser. It will run ASP, IDC, and CGI.

Finally, there's "PWS 4.0." If you're running this server, you know it. You
have to download it from the MS web site and install it. So, I don't need to
describe that one.

Please DON'T just use "PWS" when identifying your web server. This doesn't
help in the slightest.

Thanks,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
http://www.connectrans.com/takempis
Specializing in Internet Database Connectivity
with IDC and ASP, and interactive Internet programming

"PWS" vs "FP PWS" vs "MS PWS" - Suggestion

Post by Cate Burt » Wed, 28 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Thank you, Kevin; this has been very helpful.  Frankly, I've been
trying to figure out which PWS I've been running, and have been
stumped.  (I know know it's MS PWS.)

Where can I find a discussion that will help me decide if I want to
upgrade to PWS 4.0?

Cate Burton

Quote:>When I attempt to help people who write about the problems they're having, I
>often have difficulty distinguishing what web server they're using,

  <-- snipped extremely helpful discussion of PWS characteristics -->
--

                       http://rlis.com/kelownadays

    First things first, but not necessarily in that order. - Dr Who

"PWS" vs "FP PWS" vs "MS PWS" - Suggestion

Post by Kjartan H. Valdimarsso » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi Kevin,
Thank's for trying to make PWS matters understandable.
I am sorry to tell you that your explaination did not help.  I 'm one of the
ppl having problems with understanding the PWS bussiness and really need to
understand what PWS I should use.

Regarding your post:

Quote:>"MS PWS" or "Microsoft Personal Web Server" - This is the "other" web
server
>which came in the Bonus Pack of FP 97, and is the ONLY web server which
>comes with FP 98. Webs on this server reside in the \Webshare\WWWRoot
folder
>on your hard drive. If you're running this, you should see an icon that
>looks like a computer sitting in front of a globe, on your taskbar. It is
>administered by browser. It will run ASP, IDC, and CGI.

I just made a fresh installation of FP98 (upgrade version). But...........
1. The default Web resides in C:\FrontPage Webs\Content folder, not in
\Webshare\WWWRoot folder.
2: The default PWS installed is: Microsoft FrontPage(TM) Personal Web
Server. That is not MS PWS or what ?
3: The icon for this PWS is not looking like a computer sitting in front of
a globe. It appears in my taskbar as a button with picture of two sheets
with red rod between them.

Now I want to work with ASP in the future.  Can you tell me what is my
status. If my PWS is not the MS PWS, what shall I do to install it. It is
really important for me to be able to have ASP in the future.

Thank's in advance for your help
Kjartan

"PWS" vs "FP PWS" vs "MS PWS" - Suggestion

Post by Veget » Thu, 29 Jan 1998 04:00:00

You have no problems. Simply install the ASP Extensions later, which is
available on the FP98 CD under the 60-minute-intranet kit.

In FP98, MSPWS was renamed to FPPWS. It's basically PWS 1.0a (MSPWS). Don't
get confused.
However, FP97's FPPWS, is the cut-down version of PWS 1.0a and lacks a lot
of features.

Hope this helps.
Joo Hang Cha

http://www.ie4.com
ICQ UIN: 4880825
SiteBuilder Network Level 2 member
Microsoft Developer Network Online member
ClubSBN CSS Group (http://www.clubsbn.net/)