Convert shared borders to frames?

Post by Craig Tompki » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Is there an easy way to convert a shared border web to a framed web.  I
know I can easily create a new page, with the correct pages in the
frames, but I am worried about having to change all the hyperlinks to
open in the correct windows or in a full browser or what have you.  I am
currently using a left side navigation border and a top logo border.  The
left side would have to open in the main window and about 1/2 the links
in the main window would have to open there, and about 1/2 would have to
open in the full browser.  If visualisations would help anyone, the site
is http://www.operationsports.com or http://operationsports.com
Thanks for the help
Craig Tompkins
Operation Sports
http://www.operationsports.com

Convert shared borders to frames?

Post by Thomas A. Row » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Craig,

I am not sure if this is easy or not but ...

1. From FPExplorer Folder view make a copy of left
side navigation page and move it into your root,
then you should be able to use this page in your
left frame, hopefully as is.
2. Now from FPExplorer turn off Shared Border for
the web site, you should now be left with normal
pages and the copy of your left side navigation
page.

--
====================================
Thomas Rowe

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
The HTML Writers Guild Member
International Webmaster Association Member
Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
MSDNetwork Online Member

>Is there an easy way to convert a shared border

web to a framed web.  I
Quote:>know I can easily create a new page, with the

correct pages in the
Quote:>frames, but I am worried about having to change

all the hyperlinks to
Quote:>open in the correct windows or in a full browser

or what have you.  I am
Quote:>currently using a left side navigation border and

a top logo border.  The
Quote:>left side would have to open in the main window

and about 1/2 the links
Quote:>in the main window would have to open there, and

about 1/2 would have to
Quote:>open in the full browser.  If visualisations

would help anyone, the site
Quote:>is http://www.operationsports.com or

http://operationsports.com
Quote:>Thanks for the help
>Craig Tompkins
>Operation Sports
>http://www.operationsports.com

Convert shared borders to frames?

Post by Craig Tompki » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Craig,

> I am not sure if this is easy or not but ...

> 1. From FPExplorer Folder view make a copy of left
> side navigation page and move it into your root,
> then you should be able to use this page in your
> left frame, hopefully as is.
> 2. Now from FPExplorer turn off Shared Border for
> the web site, you should now be left with normal
> pages and the copy of your left side navigation
> page.

Thanks, I did think of doing just that already (except I am going to
change the left frame if I do it).  I guess I don't know how the links
would open if I did not edit them by hand.  Would they currently open in
the same frame, in the full browser, in a new browser?  I know I can make
a default for each page, but I have links on each page that stay on site
and that go off site.
  I guess I need to find a program (maybe FP98) that will modify the
links that stay on the server to open in the same frame, and the ones
that go off the server to open in a full browser.  Is there a way I can
make a style sheet for that maybe???
Craig

Convert shared borders to frames?

Post by Thomas A. Row » Wed, 10 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Sorry, I forgot to say you will have to manually
add a target value to each link with name of the
frame or _blank for a new browser window.

--
====================================
Thomas Rowe
Your Community On-Line Network
http://www.ycoln.net

Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
The HTML Writers Guild Member
International Webmaster Association Member
Site Builder Network Level 2 Member
MSDNetwork Online Member

>In article

>> Craig,

>> I am not sure if this is easy or not but ...

>> 1. From FPExplorer Folder view make a copy of
left
>> side navigation page and move it into your
root,
>> then you should be able to use this page in
your
>> left frame, hopefully as is.
>> 2. Now from FPExplorer turn off Shared Border
for
>> the web site, you should now be left with
normal
>> pages and the copy of your left side navigation
>> page.

>Thanks, I did think of doing just that already

(except I am going to
Quote:>change the left frame if I do it).  I guess I

don't know how the links
Quote:>would open if I did not edit them by hand.  Would

they currently open in
Quote:>the same frame, in the full browser, in a new

browser?  I know I can make
Quote:>a default for each page, but I have links on each

page that stay on site
Quote:>and that go off site.
>  I guess I need to find a program (maybe FP98)

that will modify the
Quote:>links that stay on the server to open in the same
frame, and the ones
>that go off the server to open in a full browser.

Is there a way I can

Quote:>make a style sheet for that maybe???
>Craig

1. converting shared border to frame

Hi,
I'm working on a web at the moment and I think it will work better with a
frame on the left-hand side instead of a  left hand side vertical shared
border. (some of the pages are quite long and I'd prefer all the links to
remain static)
I haven't worked with frames before and was wondering if there is easy way
of doing this and if anyone could point out any possible pitfalls I may
encounter in doing this.

Thanks all

Andrew Carnegie

---

2. awd conversion to tif

3. Changing a site from no shared borders to all shared borders

4. Apple ][+ Compatible

5. Shared borders - can't access bottom shared border

6. Custom 404 Error page

7. Shared borders - left hand shared border height

8. Anyone have better for than dblookup?

9. Is it possible to convert a non-frames page to a frames page?

10. Convert non-frame enabled web to frame enabled web?

11. Shared borders vs Frames?

12. Frames or Shared Borders

13. Shared borders vs. Frames