Personal Web Server Problems - how can I get rid of it completely

Personal Web Server Problems - how can I get rid of it completely

Post by Clai » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 08:45:38

Dear List,

I've encountered some sort of major corruption with the Personal Web Server
which comes with Frontpage 98.

I want to start Frontpage from scratch - clean everything off and reinstall
it all (including the Personal Web Server).  However, although I've managed
to remove Frontpage 98 through the normal channels (start/settings/control
pannel/remove programs), I've not been able toclean the personal web server
off.  The end result is that when I reinstall Frontpage I keep getting a "no
server at port 80" error message, and am unable to either create new
websites or access existing.

A friend thinks there may be some trash in the registry which is causing the
problem, but I don't know how to approach cleaning it up or what to look for
........ any ideas???

Grateful for any hints.

Clair

Personal Web Server Problems - how can I get rid of it completely

Post by R. W. Gerlin » Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:19:09

You can try the following: (It might be to late)
run fpsrvwin.exe and remove all extensions.
add/remove fp
search all folders for anything connected with fp and remove.
You can now install the correct PWS, and fp, and everything should work OK.
rg

Quote:> Dear List,

> I've encountered some sort of major corruption with the Personal Web
Server
> which comes with Frontpage 98.

> I want to start Frontpage from scratch - clean everything off and
reinstall
> it all (including the Personal Web Server).  However, although I've
managed
> to remove Frontpage 98 through the normal channels (start/settings/control
> pannel/remove programs), I've not been able toclean the personal web
server
> off.  The end result is that when I reinstall Frontpage I keep getting a
"no
> server at port 80" error message, and am unable to either create new
> websites or access existing.

> A friend thinks there may be some trash in the registry which is causing
the
> problem, but I don't know how to approach cleaning it up or what to look
for
> ........ any ideas???

> Grateful for any hints.

> Clair

Personal Web Server Problems - how can I get rid of it completely

Post by Thomas A. Row » Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:33:37

You must first un-install the FP extensions, then the PWS.

--

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Quote:> Dear List,