Frontpage+AOL+virtual hosting

Post by Willie Whitehea » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

Please help!!!!  I'm trying to use Microsoft Frontpage to publish up to
my virtual hosting account at Tabnet.  Currently, America Online is my
access provider.  While signed on to America Online, I'm putting my
domain name in the Select a Web Server location and I click on List
Webs.  After waiting a few moments, an error message pops up that says
'Unable to connect to server'.

Is anyone else having this problem?  Tabnet, America Online, and
Microsoft continue to blame it on each other.  Can someone please give
me a list of things to try at least?  I know that I'm using the correct
version of AOL for Windows 95.

Thanks,

Willie

Frontpage+AOL+virtual hosting

Post by Geoff Kin » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

Willie,

    One of our customers had this exact same problem.  She couldn't even use
FTP to transfer the majority of her files.  I set her up with a dialup
account into our own system and it worked as it was supposed to.  I blame
this one on AOL.  She was able to get as far as loading her web, but every
time she attempted to publish or upload files either via FP98 or FTP it
would fail with a Socket error 10054.

Geoff

>Please help!!!!  I'm trying to use Microsoft Frontpage to publish up to
>my virtual hosting account at Tabnet.  Currently, America Online is my
>access provider.  While signed on to America Online, I'm putting my
>domain name in the Select a Web Server location and I click on List
>Webs.  After waiting a few moments, an error message pops up that says
>'Unable to connect to server'.

>Is anyone else having this problem?  Tabnet, America Online, and
>Microsoft continue to blame it on each other.  Can someone please give
>me a list of things to try at least?  I know that I'm using the correct
>version of AOL for Windows 95.

>Thanks,

>Willie

Frontpage+AOL+virtual hosting

Post by Greg Fische » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

People have to realize that AOL is an on-line service and not an Internet
Service Provider. From reading literature that Compuserve has on their web
hosting services, a person wouldn't be able to use FP to publish to their server
either. Very proprietary. IMHO there is more "freedom" w/ having an ISP and
having a separate hosting company.

--
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the
self-help section?"  She said if she told me, it would defeat

Post by RL Zarof » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

> People have to realize that AOL is an on-line service and not an Internet
> Service Provider.

> > >Please help!!!!  I'm trying to use Microsoft Frontpage to publish up to
> > >my virtual hosting account at Tabnet.  Currently, America Online is my
> > >access provider.
> > >Is anyone else having this problem?  Tabnet, America Online, and
> > >Microsoft continue to blame it on each other.

I first tried publishing to my webhost while on AOL, but had the same
trouble. AOL said it was MY problem not theirs, but they are constantly
dropping my Internet connection while I am online, so I suspect it is
something on their end. My webhost said that most of their AOL customers
have the same problem. Meanwhile, I got another REAL ISP without the
fancy interface, and things are going along swimmingly. I keep AOL for
my son's benefit and use my REAL (and reliable) ISP for business (and
just plain ol' surfin').

Ruthann

Frontpage+AOL+virtual hosting

Post by Greg Fische » Sat, 16 May 1998 04:00:00

> I first tried publishing to my webhost while on AOL, but had the same
> trouble. AOL said it was MY problem not theirs, but they are constantly
> dropping my Internet connection while I am online, so I suspect it is
> something on their end. My webhost said that most of their AOL customers
> have the same problem. Meanwhile, I got another REAL ISP without the
> fancy interface, and things are going along swimmingly. I keep AOL for
> my son's benefit and use my REAL (and reliable) ISP for business (and
> just plain ol' surfin').

> Ruthann

 That was perzactly my point. Nothing wrong with AOL or compuserve or whoever. I
wasn't knocking the companies or the services they provide for gazillions of
people (i started out with AOL myself). Just that, as you realize, they don't
nesacelery work when it comes to publishing the ole website.
You've found a solution that works for you and the kid.
In my case, since I surf, maintain the website and fiddle fart around (usually
all at the same time) I found that a separate ISP and a separate hosting company
for my site works for me :-)

--
I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the
self-help section?"  She said if she told me, it would defeat
the purpose.

1. Reserve your space via a virtual server or a virtual host NOW.

Reserve your space via a virtual server or a virtual host NOW.

The Virtual Server System is perfect for the business or corporation that
wants to quickly establish a high speed presence on the internet without
the cost and time commitment associated with maintaining a fully dedicated
server.

Find out more at:

http://www.virtualisys.com/vr/rmiklic/

2. Factory Method pattern?

3. frontpage can't have nested virtual hosts error

4. URGENT !ipchains-ipmasqadm

5. Virtual Host vs IP Address

6. Access Session information through a user control property

7. FP98, Apache 1.3.6 and name based virtual hosts: Is it possible and how?

8. MultiGEM and DCDesktop

9. FP98 and Apache 1.3.6 with patch_1.3.6 AND name based virtual hosts

10. Virtual hosts?

11. Virtual Hosts

12. Frontpage98 with multiple virtual hosts