Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by JSA » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:37:10

Hi,

Almost completed my new website (first one) and would like to add a favicon
for the company - I have read about making the icons and saving them as
16x16pixel (16cols) .ico and naming them favicon.ico into the 'root'
directory...

Can I ask - is the root directory the main directory where the index.htm
lives???

and will I be able to publish the web with this in it?
thanks
Jayne

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 06:41:24

Yes and yes.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> Hi,

> Almost completed my new website (first one) and would like to add a favicon
> for the company - I have read about making the icons and saving them as
> 16x16pixel (16cols) .ico and naming them favicon.ico into the 'root'
> directory...

> Can I ask - is the root directory the main directory where the index.htm
> lives???

> and will I be able to publish the web with this in it?
> thanks
> Jayne

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by JSA » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:27:07

Hi Kathleen,

thanks for your brevity !!

As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

Yes and yes.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

Quote:> Hi,

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:29:45

This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

> Hi Kathleen,

> thanks for your brevity !!

> As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

> Yes and yes.

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Hi,

> > Almost completed my new website (first one) and would like to add a
> favicon
> > for the company - I have read about making the icons and saving them as
> > 16x16pixel (16cols) .ico and naming them favicon.ico into the 'root'
> > directory...

> > Can I ask - is the root directory the main directory where the index.htm
> > lives???

> > and will I be able to publish the web with this in it?
> > thanks
> > Jayne

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by JSA » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:38:40

Yes... been there...

they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows me to
change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been talking about
uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the extensions
right?

This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

> Hi Kathleen,

> thanks for your brevity !!

> As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

> Yes and yes.

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Hi,

> > Almost completed my new website (first one) and would like to add a
> favicon
> > for the company - I have read about making the icons and saving them as
> > 16x16pixel (16cols) .ico and naming them favicon.ico into the 'root'
> > directory...

> > Can I ask - is the root directory the main directory where the index.htm
> > lives???

> > and will I be able to publish the web with this in it?
> > thanks
> > Jayne

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:50:03

Someone else here may know of another app.

Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then publish as usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

> Yes... been there...

> they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
> so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows me to
> change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been talking about
> uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the extensions
> right?

> This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Hi Kathleen,

> > thanks for your brevity !!

> > As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> > ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

> > Yes and yes.

> > --

> > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > Hi,

> > > Almost completed my new website (first one) and would like to add a
> > favicon
> > > for the company - I have read about making the icons and saving them as
> > > 16x16pixel (16cols) .ico and naming them favicon.ico into the 'root'
> > > directory...

> > > Can I ask - is the root directory the main directory where the index.htm
> > > lives???

> > > and will I be able to publish the web with this in it?
> > > thanks
> > > Jayne

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by Werner Feldhaeusse » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 07:58:48

Try this URL:
http://search.hotwired.com/webmonkey/default.asp?
dest=wm&query=favicon

They are long-winded, but it worked for me.

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by JSA » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:04:37

Thanks Kathleen,

One last question on the subject...
How would I import it?? (and where would I lodge it... or is it just
tranferring the favicon.ico into the root directory using windows explorer??
(My understanding is that it DOESN'T go onto a webpage or anything... merely
resides in the root directory)

Someone else here may know of another app.

Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then publish as
usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

> Yes... been there...

> they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
> so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows me to
> change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been talking about
> uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the
extensions
> right?

> This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Hi Kathleen,

> > thanks for your brevity !!

> > As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> > ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

> > Yes and yes.

> > --

> > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > Hi,

> > > Almost completed my new website (first one) and would like to add a
> > favicon
> > > for the company - I have read about making the icons and saving them
as
> > > 16x16pixel (16cols) .ico and naming them favicon.ico into the 'root'
> > > directory...

> > > Can I ask - is the root directory the main directory where the
index.htm
> > > lives???

> > > and will I be able to publish the web with this in it?
> > > thanks
> > > Jayne

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by Grahame Coyl » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:08:26

JSA

You could try

http://www.cursorarts.com

They have an app called Icon Forge, not free, not expensive and not
bad at all.

Grahame

Someone else here may know of another app.

Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then
publish as usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

> Yes... been there...

> they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
> so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows me
> change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been talking
about
> uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the
extensions
> right?

> This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Hi Kathleen,

> > thanks for your brevity !!

> > As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> > ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

> > Yes and yes.

> > --

> > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > Hi,

> > > Almost completed my new website (first one) and would like to
add a
> > favicon
> > > for the company - I have read about making the icons and saving
them as
> > > 16x16pixel (16cols) .ico and naming them favicon.ico into the
'root'
> > > directory...

> > > Can I ask - is the root directory the main directory where the
index.htm
> > > lives???

> > > and will I be able to publish the web with this in it?
> > > thanks
> > > Jayne

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by JSA » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:09:05

what... longwinded as in... can't find any reference for them??
still waiting for the search of webmonkey to finish... saying no reference
!!! :(

Quote:> Try this URL:
> http://search.hotwired.com/webmonkey/default.asp?
> dest=wm&query=favicon

> They are long-winded, but it worked for me.

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:21:06

Don't use Windows Explorer. Open your web, and import the .ico file using the File | Import command and browse to the location of the file on your hard drive.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

> Thanks Kathleen,

> One last question on the subject...
> How would I import it?? (and where would I lodge it... or is it just
> tranferring the favicon.ico into the root directory using windows explorer??
> (My understanding is that it DOESN'T go onto a webpage or anything... merely
> resides in the root directory)

> Someone else here may know of another app.

> Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then publish as
> usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Yes... been there...

> > they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
> > so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows me to
> > change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been talking about
> > uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the
> extensions
> > right?

> > This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

> > --

> > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > Hi Kathleen,

> > > thanks for your brevity !!

> > > As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> > > ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

> > > Yes and yes.

> > > --

> > > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > favicon
> as

> index.htm

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by Grahame Coyl » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:23:47

JSA

You should lodge the favicon.ico file in each and every directory in
your web.  If someone wants to add your root (http://www.yoursite.com)
to their favourites then they should find a favicon.ico file in your
root.  If they are one level in at
(http://www.yoursite.com/level_1/index.htm) then they need to find the
same icon there for it to work and display in the favourites menu.
It's all about bookmarking, and not everyone will bookmark the root
URL...they may find something deeper in your site that takes their
fancy and bookmark that page instead.

HTH

Grahame

> Thanks Kathleen,

> One last question on the subject...
> How would I import it?? (and where would I lodge it... or is it just
> tranferring the favicon.ico into the root directory using windows
explorer??
> (My understanding is that it DOESN'T go onto a webpage or
anything... merely
> resides in the root directory)

> Someone else here may know of another app.

> Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then
publish as
> usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Yes... been there...

> > they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
> > so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows
me to
> > change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been
talking about
> > uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the
> extensions
> > right?

> > This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

> > --

> > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > Hi Kathleen,

> > > thanks for your brevity !!

> > > As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> > > ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

message

> > > Yes and yes.

> > > --

> > > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > favicon
> as

> index.htm

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by JSA » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:32:35

Thanks Kathleen,

Good to know that you people are out there to help us dummies !!! :S
thanks again !
Jayne

Don't use Windows Explorer. Open your web, and import the .ico file using
the File | Import command and browse to the location of the file on your
hard drive.

--

~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
Spider Web Woman Designs
http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ

> Thanks Kathleen,

> One last question on the subject...
> How would I import it?? (and where would I lodge it... or is it just
> tranferring the favicon.ico into the root directory using windows
explorer??
> (My understanding is that it DOESN'T go onto a webpage or anything...
merely
> resides in the root directory)

> Someone else here may know of another app.

> Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then publish
as
> usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

> --

> ~ Kathleen Anderson
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> Spider Web Woman Designs
> http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Yes... been there...

> > they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
> > so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows me to
> > change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been talking
about
> > uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the
> extensions
> > right?

> > This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

> > --

> > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > Hi Kathleen,

> > > thanks for your brevity !!

> > > As I said - didn't want to mess it up !!

> > > ps... can any icon be used and then 'changed' into 16pixels?

> > > Yes and yes.

> > > --

> > > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > favicon
> as

> index.htm

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by JSA » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:31:49

OK Graham,

thanks - so, really its just a matter of 'taking Kathleen's advice of
importing the file' .. and placing it in every directory (including the
swish directory and images directories too???) i.e. repeating the action
until the .ico is in all the directories...
And thats it!
Great thanks

> JSA

> You should lodge the favicon.ico file in each and every directory in
> your web.  If someone wants to add your root (http://www.yoursite.com)
> to their favourites then they should find a favicon.ico file in your
> root.  If they are one level in at
> (http://www.yoursite.com/level_1/index.htm) then they need to find the
> same icon there for it to work and display in the favourites menu.
> It's all about bookmarking, and not everyone will bookmark the root
> URL...they may find something deeper in your site that takes their
> fancy and bookmark that page instead.

> HTH

> Grahame

> > Thanks Kathleen,

> > One last question on the subject...
> > How would I import it?? (and where would I lodge it... or is it just
> > tranferring the favicon.ico into the root directory using windows
> explorer??
> > (My understanding is that it DOESN'T go onto a webpage or
> anything... merely
> > resides in the root directory)

> > Someone else here may know of another app.

> > Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then
> publish as
> > usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

> > --

> > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > > Yes... been there...

> > > they have 'temporarily disabled' their onsite applications...
> > > so have been looking for others (I have microangelo which allows
> me to
> > > change sizes etc...) however, the info I have read has been
> talking about
> > > uploading the .ico using FTP and as I understand FP - we use the
> > extensions
> > > right?

> > > This site: http://www.favicon.com/  explains it all.  :-)

> > > --

> > > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > > Spider Web Woman Designs
> > > http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
> > > Microsoft? FrontPage? Newsgroups FAQ
> > > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> message

> add a
> saving them
> > as
> 'root'

> > index.htm

Favicons - has anyone ever added them??

Post by Grahame Coyl » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 08:38:49

JSA

What's a 'swish' directory ???

You shouldn't need to add it to directories that only have images etc.
Just add it to dirs that have .htm or .asp pages in them...no-one will
(generally) be able to bookmark an image on your site unless you
provide that as a function.

So yeah, either import the file (using Kathleen advice which is then
correct way for importing) or (rough and ready) just drag 'n drop the
file into your dirs, then do a Tools | Recalculate Hyperlinks and FP
will notice the file additions, then publish and Bob, as they say, is
your Mother's Brother.

Grahame

> OK Graham,

> thanks - so, really its just a matter of 'taking Kathleen's advice
of
> importing the file' .. and placing it in every directory (including
the
> swish directory and images directories too???) i.e. repeating the
action
> until the .ico is in all the directories...
> And thats it!
> Great thanks

> > JSA

> > You should lodge the favicon.ico file in each and every directory
in
> > your web.  If someone wants to add your root

(http://www.yoursite.com)

> > to their favourites then they should find a favicon.ico file in
your
> > root.  If they are one level in at
> > (http://www.yoursite.com/level_1/index.htm) then they need to find
the
> > same icon there for it to work and display in the favourites menu.
> > It's all about bookmarking, and not everyone will bookmark the
root
> > URL...they may find something deeper in your site that takes their
> > fancy and bookmark that page instead.

> > HTH

> > Grahame

> > > Thanks Kathleen,

> > > One last question on the subject...
> > > How would I import it?? (and where would I lodge it... or is it
just
> > > tranferring the favicon.ico into the root directory using
windows
> > explorer??
> > > (My understanding is that it DOESN'T go onto a webpage or
> > anything... merely
> > > resides in the root directory)

message

> > > Someone else here may know of another app.

> > > Once your .ico file is created, import it into your web and then
> > publish as
> > > usual. You don't need to FTP the image separately.

> > > --

> > > ~ Kathleen Anderson
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> > > Spider Web Woman Designs