Weird Issue With SSI

Post by darkfir » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 16:50:35

I've been a long time Frontpage user and just upgraded to
Frontpage 2002. Since upgrading the only thing that
crosses my mind if how to get my money back. There is this
one issue I have with it that might seem minor but causes
me all kinds of headaches.

I have a line of code that calls an SSI request:
<!--#include virtual="/middle.html" -->

Frontpage 2002 then for no reason adds a &nbsp; to the end
of it which then results in an extra space that messes up
the look of the entire page.

I then go into HTML view and delete the &nbsp;. Frontpage
2002 then adds it back again. This is insane. It doesn't
do it on any other SSI call expect this same one on every
page. I have to open up the pages in an HTML editor,
delete the &nbsp; and reupload every single time I make a
change.

This is unacceptable. And no other version of Frontpage
does this. Of course Microsoft doesn't offer free support
so they never hear about problems like this without taking
more of our money.

Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know a work
around?

Thanks,
darkfire

Weird Issue With SSI

Post by submission » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 18:21:23

Darkfire,
A search at google newsgroups produced just one seemingly relevant, similar
event (from 1999, I think).

http://www.veryComputer.com/
llabs.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DFrontPage%2Badds%2B%2526nbsp%253B%26hl%3
Den%26safe%3Doff%26btnG%3DGoogle%2BSearch%26meta%3Dsite%253Dgroups

> Why does FP insist on adding &nbsp; at the end of every page, just
> before the </body> tag? It really messes up some pretty vertical lines
> I'm trying to get to meet a horizontal line - see what I mean at
> http://www.veryComputer.com/.
> If I edit the HTML and delete the &nbsp; it looks OK, but as soon as I
> open the page again in FP editor it puts it back in automatically -
> even just switching between HTML and Edit views will do it.
> Any clues anyone?

> Multiple TIAs.

> Chris Ward-Johnson

Chris,

If you hear of a solution, let me know, too. I encounter the exact
problem, too. FP adds the silly &nbsp; every time I close files. It's
as if an MS FP98 programmer decided we needed a space no matter what
he had planned in the way of design. It happens at the end of the page,
no matter whether I'm using bottom shared borders or not.

Arrrrggggghhhhhh! <g>

Roy
Message 3 in thread

Subject: Re: FP adds &nbsp; to every page
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
View this article only
Date: 1999/06/30

Sometimes you need to fix a small problem with a hammer.

This is only convenient when you're 100% done. It's a totally anal,
neurotic, screwed up method I am proud to take credit for finding out(at
least I never saw anyone do it yet).

1    MAKE A BACKUP HARDCOPY!!!!!! I screwed up once and lost some code.
Don't repeat my foolish mistake.

2    CUT your entire HTML code in HTML view. Nothing should be left, not

3    Goto Normal view

4    Do INSERT > FRONTPAGE COMPONENT... > INSERT HTML

5    Paste your code.

6    Editor does not*with it anymore.

    BUT: you can't edit your code in normal view since it's now a blank
slate. Editor doesn't look at your code, the INSERT HTML makes it invisible.

(that's what the backup's for)

--
Tom Cox
Editor

Publish arts and literature free online at:
       www.stickyourneckout.com

Quote:> I've been a long time Frontpage user and just upgraded to
> Frontpage 2002. Since upgrading the only thing that
> crosses my mind if how to get my money back. There is this
> one issue I have with it that might seem minor but causes
> me all kinds of headaches.

> I have a line of code that calls an SSI request:
> <!--#include virtual="/middle.html" -->

> Frontpage 2002 then for no reason adds a &nbsp; to the end
> of it which then results in an extra space that messes up
> the look of the entire page.

> I then go into HTML view and delete the &nbsp;. Frontpage
> 2002 then adds it back again. This is insane. It doesn't
> do it on any other SSI call expect this same one on every
> page. I have to open up the pages in an HTML editor,
> delete the &nbsp; and reupload every single time I make a
> change.

> This is unacceptable. And no other version of Frontpage
> does this. Of course Microsoft doesn't offer free support
> so they never hear about problems like this without taking
> more of our money.

> Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know a work
> around?

> Thanks,
> darkfire

Weird Issue With SSI

Post by darkfir » Tue, 28 Aug 2001 01:41:37

Hello,

Thanks for the information. If that is the solution that
we all have to use for issues like this I think it's a sad
time for Microsoft users. I went ahead and tried adding
the HTML as a component and sure enough it doesn't keep
adding the space back. But then again at the same time you
don't see the page in normal mode. If I want to use an
HTML editor I'll fire up AceHTML and use a real one.

I guess I'm just really frustrated that I've been using
Frontpage since the 97 version and this is the first
version that does this. On top of that Microsoft makes it
impossible to get any kind of help from them unless you're
willing to pay for it. I just don't feel that's right.

I might try adding the one line it keeps messing with as a
HTML component and see if it will let me edit the rest of
the page correctly.

Thanks again for the information. If anyone comes across
anything else please post it here.

darkfire

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Darkfire,
>A search at google newsgroups produced just one seemingly
relevant, similar
>event (from 1999, I think).

>http://www.veryComputer.com/

hl=en&safe=off&threadm=377A7A0D.3BD69B0%40te
Quote:>llabs.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3DFrontPage%2Badds%2B%

> [...]

>> Frontpage 2002 then for no reason adds a   to the end
>> of it which then results in an extra space that messes
up
>> the look of the entire page.

>> I then go into HTML view and delete the  . Frontpage
>> 2002 then adds it back again. This is insane. It doesn't
>> do it on any other SSI call expect this same one on
every
>> page. I have to open up the pages in an HTML editor,
>> delete the   and reupload every single time I make a
>> change.

>> This is unacceptable. And no other version of Frontpage
>> does this. Of course Microsoft doesn't offer free
support
>> so they never hear about problems like this without
taking
>> more of our money.

>> Has anyone had this problem? Does anyone know a work

1. help: bookmark issue - still an issue

I have a frames page that contains the TOC in the left frame of the document
in the right frame.
The parent page as a list of options, each of which hyperlinks to a bookmark
in the document (in the right frame).
I specified this by linking to the frames page and giving it a bookmark as a
parameter.
I noticed that the frames page does not pass that parameter to the actual
document, which is the objective in my case.
Jens Peter Karlsen recommended that I use the scripts from
(http://www.echoecho.com/jsframes.htm)
The code runs fine and does what it says.
Except that I have bookmarks to locations within the document and the URL of
the parent page points to that bookmark in the form of BNDRINDX.htm#AR (via
FP2K hyperlink properties)(html code:<a href="Documents/BNDRINDX.htm#AR"
target="_blank">Accounts Receivable/Contract Management</a>
the document loads in the right frame page but not at the bookmark level.
How can i achieve that!

P.S. I had posted the original message 27 July 2001 17:24  and yet it does
not show up in the newslist? How can that be?
dms

--
Dominique

2. Remove entries from Add/Remove

3. Extra body tags issue 1, tocproto.htm issue 2

4. PBM: Win2000 doesn't restart nor shutdown

5. is there a way to use frontpage 2000 to do what SSI does?

6. PPC2002 and Inbox Settings

7. SSI on XP Server not supported

8. VPN w/Windows XP pro

9. SSI into border?

10. Server Side Include (SSI)

11. 1 ASP templete that will open ssi files in the same page..

12. SSI and meta data in Shared Borders

13. SSI and Perl scripts