Can't see Virtual Directory in Frontpage 2000

Can't see Virtual Directory in Frontpage 2000

Post by Nunya D. Biznes » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 04:22:18

I've added a virtual directory to my web in IIS5.0 (on Win2kpro) but cannot
see it when I open the web in Frontpage 2000.  Knowledge Base Article #
Q229893 states:

When you open a Web in FrontPage 98 or Visual InterDev, certain virtual
directories in the Web are not viewable.

The FrontPage Server Extensions will work with a virtual directory inside
the content area. For example, if your content root is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
and you create a virtual directory with a physical path of D:\FolderName,
you cannot edit the content inside D:\FolderName with FrontPage or Visual
InterDev. Because this data in D:\FolderName is outside of the Web content
area (C:\InetPub\wwwroot), the FrontPage Server Extensions cannot find the
content.

NOTE: This configuration CAN be used in FrontPage 2000 with the FrontPage
2000 Server Extensions.

How?

Thanks

Can't see Virtual Directory in Frontpage 2000

Post by Mark Fitzpatric » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 04:56:21

I believe this document is incorrect. Virtual directories have never been
able to be seen by FP even if they are in the physical directory path of the
virtual server. I just tried it on FP 2000 and 2002 clients and extensions
just to verify that there wasn't some trick that the article was using and
still came up with the expected results. The thing is the virtual
directories have the same level of control (more to the point the lack
thereof) by IIS regarldess of whether or not they are in or out of the
directory path of the virtual server.

        Hope this helps,
        Mark Fitzpatrick
        Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Quote:> I've added a virtual directory to my web in IIS5.0 (on Win2kpro) but

Post by Tom Kaminsk » Tue, 20 Mar 2001 23:04:20

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/7/99.ASP

> I believe this document is incorrect. Virtual directories have never been
> able to be seen by FP even if they are in the physical directory path of
the
> virtual server. I just tried it on FP 2000 and 2002 clients and extensions
> just to verify that there wasn't some trick that the article was using and
> still came up with the expected results. The thing is the virtual
> directories have the same level of control (more to the point the lack
> thereof) by IIS regarldess of whether or not they are in or out of the
> directory path of the virtual server.

>         Hope this helps,
>         Mark Fitzpatrick
>         Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > I've added a virtual directory to my web in IIS5.0 (on Win2kpro) but
> cannot
> > see it when I open the web in Frontpage 2000.  Knowledge Base Article #
> > Q229893 states:

> > When you open a Web in FrontPage 98 or Visual InterDev, certain virtual
> > directories in the Web are not viewable.

> > The FrontPage Server Extensions will work with a virtual directory
inside
> > the content area. For example, if your content root is
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
> > and you create a virtual directory with a physical path of
D:\FolderName,
> > you cannot edit the content inside D:\FolderName with FrontPage or
Visual
> > InterDev. Because this data in D:\FolderName is outside of the Web
content
> > area (C:\InetPub\wwwroot), the FrontPage Server Extensions cannot find
the
> > content.

> > NOTE: This configuration CAN be used in FrontPage 2000 with the
FrontPage
> > 2000 Server Extensions.

> > How?

> > Thanks

Can't see Virtual Directory in Frontpage 2000

Post by Mark Fitzpatric » Wed, 21 Mar 2001 09:53:55

Thanks Tom, the problem is that only works for converting an existing
virtual directory into a new subweb and doesn't actually allow you to see
one that exists inside a web. It's a good feature though that I didn't know
about.

        Thanks again,
        Mark Fitzpatrick
        Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/7/99.ASP

> > I believe this document is incorrect. Virtual directories have never
been
> > able to be seen by FP even if they are in the physical directory path of
> the
> > virtual server. I just tried it on FP 2000 and 2002 clients and
extensions
> > just to verify that there wasn't some trick that the article was using
and
> > still came up with the expected results. The thing is the virtual
> > directories have the same level of control (more to the point the lack
> > thereof) by IIS regarldess of whether or not they are in or out of the
> > directory path of the virtual server.

> >         Hope this helps,
> >         Mark Fitzpatrick
> >         Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > > I've added a virtual directory to my web in IIS5.0 (on Win2kpro) but
> > cannot
> > > see it when I open the web in Frontpage 2000.  Knowledge Base Article
#
> > > Q229893 states:

> > > When you open a Web in FrontPage 98 or Visual InterDev, certain
virtual
> > > directories in the Web are not viewable.

> > > The FrontPage Server Extensions will work with a virtual directory
> inside
> > > the content area. For example, if your content root is
> C:\Inetpub\wwwroot
> > > and you create a virtual directory with a physical path of
> D:\FolderName,
> > > you cannot edit the content inside D:\FolderName with FrontPage or
> Visual
> > > InterDev. Because this data in D:\FolderName is outside of the Web
> content
> > > area (C:\InetPub\wwwroot), the FrontPage Server Extensions cannot find
> the
> > > content.

> > > NOTE: This configuration CAN be used in FrontPage 2000 with the
> FrontPage
> > > 2000 Server Extensions.

> > > How?

> > > Thanks

1. virtual directories seen as "broken" links by FPExplorer!

Is it just me? FP Explorer thinks my links to files in virtual directories
(set in IIS manager) are "broken" when in fact they are not.

Any fix for this?

Thanks

Jay
--
______________________
Jayant Hardikar

Tel   : 508-264-5612
Fax  : 508-264-6854
______________________

2. Site to upload a shareware

3. FrontPage 2000 Add-ins Stopped Working and Won't Reinstall

4. MIME

5. Can't configure Server Extensions on Virtual Directory

6. Roaming Profiles question

7. Can't see virtual directories

8. FS E250 & E3000 Enterprise Servers in the UK

9. bcentral's ecommerce manager's - ecommerce wizard not seeing DSL connection in frontpage 2002

10. Virtual directories aren't displayed in folder list of web

11. Virtual directories doesn't show in FP98

12. Home Directory v. Virtual Directory?

13. FP98 Doesn't See Virtual Directory