Search Engine results

Post by DW Jone » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:42:10

I've looked thru the postings for a month or so & haven't
found the answer to this question -

How do you narrow the scope of the FP2002 search results
to specific pages or areas of pages?

Every time I do a search I end up with many results - some
of which are not even relevent to the search - is it
possible to do a more specific search with the standard
FP2002 "Search Wizard" page?

Thanx in advance
DW Jones
Kalispell, Montana

Search Engine results

Post by Thomas A. Row » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 13:02:03

If your site is hosted on IIS, then you may be able to use Index Server, your
host will need to build a catalog for your site, but you can also have them
excludes certain files or folder, you can also control this using ASP coding,
and also allows you to use custom meta tags as well in your pages.

You can not control "area" of a page to be searched.

If your site is hosted on a Unix based server, the only option your using the FP
Search component, is to place pages that you do not want search into a folder
beginning with a underscore character or if you want to only search a small
selection of files, place those along with the search page into a subweb, as the
FP Search Component does not search across webs.

--

=============================
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

Quote:> I've looked thru the postings for a month or so & haven't
> found the answer to this question -

> How do you narrow the scope of the FP2002 search results
> to specific pages or areas of pages?

> Every time I do a search I end up with many results - some
> of which are not even relevent to the search - is it
> possible to do a more specific search with the standard
> FP2002 "Search Wizard" page?

> Thanx in advance
> DW Jones
> Kalispell, Montana

1. Commercial Search Engine Results

I can't seem to get the commercial search sites (AltaVista, Lycos, HotBot,
etc.) to "spider" my FP98 site. The root page gets indexed, but the pages
below it don't get spidered. I'm not using frames, but I'm wondering if the
"themes" may be causing this problem. The same web site under FrontPage 2.0
(without themes) always spidered correctly.

"Technology with Business Sense"
http://www.sltf.com
410.799.3915    Fax 410.799.5951

2. SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REAL

3. Search Engine Results display multiple web sites?

4. Looking for several Tandem Operators for contract work in MD

5. Question regarding Meta Tags and Search Engine results.

6. Global error handling

7. site search engine results

8. CompuCom Speedmodem Combo

9. Format Search Engine Results?

10. use Results from search in a Web search engine

11. Search Engine: HELP! My Search Engine Died!

12. Is it possible? Custom Search Engine Result Page Notes..

13. Search multiple search engines