no server on port 80 at "pc name"

Post by Ian Blac » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Any idears on this one?

I open front page 97, the program starts okay then I choose a
wizard.. Name the new web page and, It tries to create the new web
page but then issues the error (No server on port 80 at "pc name")

The server part is not loaded!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ian

Post by Dave Barlo » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Any idears on this one?

> I open front page 97, the program starts okay then I choose a
> wizard.. Name the new web page and, It tries to create the new web
> page but then issues the error (No server on port 80 at "pc name")

> The server part is not loaded!

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Ian

[posted and mailed]

Did you load the Front Page Personal Web server and Extensions?

Assuming you did, what TCP/IP stack are you using? I have had the exact
same thing after loading the Cisco stack.

--
Dave Barlow

Bring me my Broadsword   | http://www.sartar.demon.co.uk
and clear understanding. | Life is too short to worry about it.

no server on port 80 at "pc name"

Post by PK » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Ian:

I have the exact same problem. Seems the the "Microsoft Personal Web
Server" IS being loaded into my PC during install, but for some reason,
it is not being assigned to port 80. Also, (in my case at least) the
server is NOT running (which would be indicated by the PWS icon in the
taskbar). I've tried going into the Control Panel and manually
"starting" the server, but nothing happens. I've also tried setting it
to automatically start along with win-95 (then re-booting), but this
doesn't work either.

  Q1: why isn't port 80 being auto-assigned to the MS-PWS?

  Q2: why isn't the MS-PWS running, or why can't
      it be started manually?

Any help GREATLY appreciated.

-- Paul

PS: I'm running win-95 and did the FP97 install from CD-ROM, upgrade
version. (I even tried installing the "FrontPage Personal Web Server",
but it wouldn't run either --> I deleted it)

no server on port 80 at "pc name"

Post by PK » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Jens:

Thanks for the info (I've posted the Microsoft article below). At least
in my case, the (Microsoft) Personal Web Server is not getting assigned
to ANY port, and will not run, even if you try to manually start it
(before using the FP-Explorer, as they suggest).

Still stuck...

-- Paul

================= excerpt =====================================
Microsoft Knowledge Base

  FP: "No Server on Port <Port Number> at '<Server Name>'"
  Error

  Last reviewed: April
  22, 1997
  Article ID: Q150684

       Microsoft FrontPage for Windows, version 1.1
       Microsoft FrontPage 97 for Windows

  SYMPTOMS

  When you attempt to create a new web or open an existing web in
FrontPage Explorer, the following message appears:

     There is no server on port <port number> at '<Server name>'

  where <port number> is the port to which your server is connected.

  CAUSE

  The auto-launch feature of the Personal Web Server functions only when
the server is running from port 80.

  WORKAROUND

  If your Personal Web Server is installed to a port other than 80,
start the Personal Web Server before you work with the
  FrontPage Explorer.

  MORE INFORMATION

  If you are using FrontPage 1.0 and you choose the full installation of
FrontPage 1.1 (as opposed to the upgrade), the
  FrontPage Personal Web Server 1.1 is installed to port 8080.

1. Server error : INI file ""section "Port 80" not found

Desperate for help here.....

Can someone tell me what this error means please?

Server error : INI file ""section "Port 80" not found

I'm getting it when I try to update one of my sites, the others on different
servers are ok.

Using FrontPage2000, WinME

The server has recently been upgraded and the administrator has tried
re-booting but nothing seems to be helping.................. any ideas??

TIA
Paulette

2. MSPAINT and Jpegs

3. Server Error: INI file "" section "Port 80" not found - what causes it?

4. Difference Cisco TrafficDirector and Netscout Mgr.+

5. Server error: INI file "" section "Port 80" not found!!!!!!

6. Biztalk and AS/400

7. server error .INI file "" section "Port 80" not found

8. REQ: Info on ADATEST from IPL?

9. Server error: INI file "" section "Port 80" not found.

10. Server error: INI file "" section "Port 80" not found

11. FP Client: Server Error INI file "" section "Port 80" not found (!?)

12. Server error: INI file "" section "Port 80" not found.

13. HELP: Server error: INI file "" section "Port 80" not found