Search engines & FP META tags

Post by Tom Peppe » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Let's clear up the stressful bunk!

We have seen over the past year a lot of concern from some web authors who
use the META MEDIC on Northern Webs' site.  There is a statement on their
page that says the search engines do not work with FP server extensions.

We have addressed this issue countless times in this ng, and it is total
bunk.  Ask any of us who have our pages listed and see them constantly.  My
web statistic log shows an analysis of our traffic coming from what search
engines, and 90% of our sales inquiries are directly from search engine
sites.  And we're averaging 300 persons per day.

As I understand, the problem with search engines not finding meta tag
keywords and descriptions goes back to FP 1.0.

In some cases, there is a problem with pages double loading in Netscape due
to a NS bug....and this little jewel is the cause:

content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

so edit it out in notepad every time you edit and save a page.

--
Tom Pepper - Director of Marketing
Sharp Communication, Inc.

AIM PepperTom

Search engines & FP META tags

Post by Keith Parnel » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

amen brother. keep sending out that good message!
===========================
Keith Parnell
SurfDesign Webs <http://surfdesign-webs.com>
ICQ uin: 1643101
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::
The FrontPage Community <http://frontpage.to>
FrontPage User Tips <http://frontpage.to/support>
FrontPage Web Hosting <http://frontpage.to/hosting>
===========================

>Let's clear up the stressful bunk!

>We have seen over the past year a lot of concern from some web authors who
>use the META MEDIC on Northern Webs' site.  There is a statement on their
>page that says the search engines do not work with FP server extensions.

>We have addressed this issue countless times in this ng, and it is total
>bunk.  Ask any of us who have our pages listed and see them constantly.  My
>web statistic log shows an analysis of our traffic coming from what search
>engines, and 90% of our sales inquiries are directly from search engine
>sites.  And we're averaging 300 persons per day.

>As I understand, the problem with search engines not finding meta tag
>keywords and descriptions goes back to FP 1.0.

>In some cases, there is a problem with pages double loading in Netscape due
>to a NS bug....and this little jewel is the cause:

>content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

>so edit it out in notepad every time you edit and save a page.

>--
>Tom Pepper - Director of Marketing
>Sharp Communication, Inc.
>http://www.sharpcom.com

>AIM PepperTom

1. OT - Search engines & Meta tags

It seems to me that many are telling us that we not only need a good title,
a short description of several sentences and a fairly large set of keywords.
(I use J-Bots Meta Tag Maker) But if there isn't text on the page will the
search engines pass us by? Is this correct? Does this mean that we really
must have a lot of text on our pages? I also know that we shouldn't put
keywords in using white text on a white background (or black on black etc.)
so what are we to do if all the elements on the page are not text..... as on
most of the pages I have developed for a Bed & Breakfast client? Can I put a
lot of keywords as alt. text for the photos. Even the name of the business
is incorporated in the background image because almost all text is in
Rusticana Font, including all the navigation words.  I'm referring to:
www.runoftheriver.com   Shall I put the keywords on the TEXT pages that are
the pop-up windows accessed from the main pages ... such as the Innkeeper
Adventures page? But we really don't want our viewers to arrive at the site
from these text filled pages. Any suggestions will be very welcome. TIA

Eleanor

2. Dim Fan (High end switch)???

3. Are Meta Tags in FP invisible to the Major Search Engines?

4. Automatically update progress bar with given values

5. Meta tags and Search Engines

6. WTB: Canon CE300 Camera for PC110

7. meta tags search engines and form naming conventions

8. Quadratic filtering - basic doubt - please help

9. Meta-Tags/Search Engines

10. meta tags fro search engine

11. Search engines meta tags

12. meta tags used by search engines to index your web pages.

13. Number of words in Meta Tag for Search Engine?