Resizing themed graphics without white space behind

Resizing themed graphics without white space behind

Post by SSS » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to make the buttons, banners, etc., a
different size without having them show up with a
rectangular white background? Maybe there is not a way. No
matter what I do in IC, I get the white rectangle around the
graphic, which IC tells me is transparent. Until I mess with
it in IC, it is indeed transparent. But after I try to
maniuplate the graphic, that white rectangle of a supposedly
transparent background is there to stay.

I understand that it is a spacing place-holder, and that it
makes all the buttons in all the themes occupy the same
amount of space so that they can be interchangeable--nice
feature. But is there any way to work with them? I made a
number of changes in the themes I use (created my own bg
gif, substituted bullets and rules, etc. - www.aths.org),
but haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the size
of banners and buttons without having that white rectangle
left showing.

Thanks,

Editor, Wheels of Time
Webmaster, ATHS - www.aths.org - Recognized by Encyclopedia
Britannica as a "Recommended Site" on their Britannica
Internet Guide

Resizing themed graphics without white space behind

Post by Jens Peter Karls » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Try the Image Composer Newsgroup.
microsoft.public.imagecomposer.discussion.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

>Does anyone know how to make the buttons, banners, etc., a
>different size without having them show up with a
>rectangular white background? Maybe there is not a way. No
>matter what I do in IC, I get the white rectangle around the
>graphic, which IC tells me is transparent. Until I mess with
>it in IC, it is indeed transparent. But after I try to
>maniuplate the graphic, that white rectangle of a supposedly
>transparent background is there to stay.

>I understand that it is a spacing place-holder, and that it
>makes all the buttons in all the themes occupy the same
>amount of space so that they can be interchangeable--nice
>feature. But is there any way to work with them? I made a
>number of changes in the themes I use (created my own bg
>gif, substituted bullets and rules, etc. - www.aths.org),
>but haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the size
>of banners and buttons without having that white rectangle
>left showing.

>Thanks,

>Editor, Wheels of Time
>Webmaster, ATHS - www.aths.org - Recognized by Encyclopedia
>Britannica as a "Recommended Site" on their Britannica
>Internet Guide

Resizing themed graphics without white space behind

Post by Car » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Shirley,

In the IC you can change the "Composition space color" (background) from
the "Composition Setup" item found on the File menu.  You might consider
changing the "composition space color" to something that will blend nicely
with the background for your website, especially when you want to mark that
"composition space color" as the transparent color for a GIF.

Remember that you cannot have a transparent color when you save a graphic
as a .jpg file.  Thus, you will continue to have the "composition space
color" edge showing through where there is not graphic (i.e., the space
behind rounder corners on a button).  To minimize the "composition space
color" showing through I always make the graphic cover as much of the
"composition space" as possible.

I hope this helps, and saves you spending a lot of time in another ng.

Charles C Caro

Resizing themed graphics without white space behind

Post by SSS » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Dear Charles,

Thanks for the suggestion, but what I'm facing in trying to
customize elements of themes does not appear to me to be the
run-of-the-mill transparent background gif situation, hence
my initial posting in this ng. I think this is an issue with
FP and how it handles themes.

I thought that perhaps other FP users had also tried to
customize their themes and might have run into this same
problem. For some reason, even though I try every possible
permutation of save, save as, save for the web, etc., once I
have opened a FP theme graphic--button/banner (or inserted
sprite--I've tried all kinds of ways to open the graphic,
too)--I cannot make a change to size or color and then save
it so that it has the same transparent background that it
had originally. I've been told by a MS tech that there is a
spacing constraint built into the nav bar button spacing
that forces the buttons to occupy a certain amount of space
on the page. This makes buttons interchangeable between
themes, but also makes re-sizing a problem. The whole thing
may be hard-wired into FP for all I know.

I was mostly hoping that someone else had found a solution
to customizing elements of the themes, whether with IC or
some other program. I don't think it's an IC issue.

Thanks,

Editor, Wheels of Time
Webmaster, ATHS - www.aths.org - Recognized by Encyclopedia
Britannica as a "Recommended Site" on their Britannica
Internet Guide

Quote:>Shirley,

>In the IC you can change the "Composition space color" .

Resizing themed graphics without white space behind

Post by Car » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Shirley,

At this point I am very curious about the size of the buttons you hope to
create.  I have gone through the list of Themes I have, which includes the
MS supplied Themes, several Third-Party Themes, and several that I have
created myself trying to get a feel for the range in size for such things
as buttons.  I have seen some buttons that are very nearly 1/3 the size of
Theme Banners, which is quite large for a button.

Could you please give us an indication of exactly how large a button you
hope to create (pixel width x pixel height).  It would be interesting to
know what limits do apply to the Theme Designer.

Charles C Caro

1. White "page" behind tables blocks bacground picture

I'm hoping someone might be able to help me solve a problem that's got me
stuck.

I've set a a page that uses various Insert page components and has a
background image set to fill the areas around the tables.

The trouble is there's a white "page" hiding behind the tables and no amount
of tinkering seems to get rid of it.  It stops by background image flowing
up to the edges of the tables and leaves an annoying white margin between
the tables and the page background image.

I want to avoid using cell backgound images to fix the problem (by adding
cells to fill the gap) as I read this feature is not as widely supported by
browsers as are page bacgrounds.

Any help in soling this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for
your kind help.

Richard

2. System manager available

3. Powerpoint Graphics to FP 2000 & Resizing Graphics

4. PCMCIA Sleeve Update

5. Graphic behind navigation bar text

6. DC not responding

7. 1 * PJrgyXPjB-Solid graphic behind Nav Bars

8. ZIP Question

9. Solid graphic behind Nav Bars

10. 3 meg html file of white space

11. Background image - white space??