change background color within a slideshow?

change background color within a slideshow?

Post by J Robert » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:22:13

I recently created a website for a client. I found that I couldn't change
the default background color within the slideshows I made. Is it possible to
do this? I would like it to tie in with the rest of the site colors and not
be the ugly default grey. Here is the site address so you can see what I
mean. Wait 5 secs for the pictures to change.      I'm using FP2002.
TIA   Jill Roberts

http://www.jorgensenart.com/GalleriesIndex.htm

change background color within a slideshow?

Post by chris leed » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:45:51

you're using an applet for that.  you can probably change the background
size/ color from within what ever facility you made them.  You should
consider doing something other than Java Applets as their support is spotty
at best.  consider a flash transition or even a JavaScript type show.
Here is one I made that's very rudimentary.
http://www.northeastdigitalphoto.com/biz/java/animation.htm
it contains a flash on the bottom with a java applet above.
HTH

Quote:> I recently created a website for a client. I found that I couldn't change
> the default background color within the slideshows I made. Is it possible
> do this? I would like it to tie in with the rest of the site colors and
not
> be the ugly default grey. Here is the site address so you can see what I
> mean. Wait 5 secs for the pictures to change.      I'm using FP2002.
> TIA   Jill Roberts

> http://www.jorgensenart.com/GalleriesIndex.htm

change background color within a slideshow?

Post by J Robert » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 01:05:20

Thanks Chris...... I actually tried to change the background from within the
slideshow already before I came to the group for help. The slideshow is a
standard FP2002 component. I was unable to find an option for changing the
color of the background. I tried to add the code directly but it didn't
work. I was trying to avoid flash because we don't want people to have to
download something in order to see the images. Not everyone would have the
'flash' ability already installed. It would mean providing a link for them
to get it......yada yada......  I have the software to make a flash show,
but I haven't ever made one.
I'm not sure how to do it as a JavaScript show, I thought that's what it was
:-)
I'll check the link you provided, but if you have any other ideas too, I
would be appreciative. Thank you again.      Jill Roberts

> you're using an applet for that.  you can probably change the background
> size/ color from within what ever facility you made them.  You should
> consider doing something other than Java Applets as their support is
spotty
> at best.  consider a flash transition or even a JavaScript type show.
> Here is one I made that's very rudimentary.
> http://www.northeastdigitalphoto.com/biz/java/animation.htm
> it contains a flash on the bottom with a java applet above.
> HTH

> > I recently created a website for a client. I found that I couldn't
change
> > the default background color within the slideshows I made. Is it
possible
> > do this? I would like it to tie in with the rest of the site colors and
> not
> > be the ugly default grey. Here is the site address so you can see what I
> > mean. Wait 5 secs for the pictures to change.      I'm using FP2002.
> > TIA   Jill Roberts

> > http://www.jorgensenart.com/GalleriesIndex.htm

change background color within a slideshow?

Post by chris leed » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 02:14:20

I'm a heavy 2002 user and the only slide show I can think of is the insert/
photo gallery/ slide show style.
where is the one you used located?  I quickly glanced your page and in the
general area I was looking for I saw applet this and applet that, plus that
"grey box" is a giveaway.
You mentioned the reluctance to use flash because of people having to
download the viewer.  Let me say this:
Even with the "no flash viewer" on the users computer you're better off
making them do that than getting a jvm to see the applet.  Many users don't
have the ability to view applets and if you somehow make a link to a source
for one it's a big download.  Some people have their jvm turned off on
purpose.
With the flash show a good flash editor will output a page with the proper
html and base url for the viewer, etc.  all you have to do is do an include
page into one of your table cells and browse to this html page your flash
program spit out.  I've also found that it's quite easy to edit the actual
html page outputted by a flash maker with FrontPage to get rid of the
default stuff they sometimes put there.
You can find a JavaScript slide show script on the FrontPage resources post
right here in the category of javascripts.
Good luck
HTH

> Thanks Chris...... I actually tried to change the background from within
the
> slideshow already before I came to the group for help. The slideshow is a
> standard FP2002 component. I was unable to find an option for changing the
> color of the background. I tried to add the code directly but it didn't
> work. I was trying to avoid flash because we don't want people to have to
> download something in order to see the images. Not everyone would have the
> 'flash' ability already installed. It would mean providing a link for them
> to get it......yada yada......  I have the software to make a flash show,
> but I haven't ever made one.
> I'm not sure how to do it as a JavaScript show, I thought that's what it
was
> :-)
> I'll check the link you provided, but if you have any other ideas too, I
> would be appreciative. Thank you again.      Jill Roberts

> > you're using an applet for that.  you can probably change the background
> > size/ color from within what ever facility you made them.  You should
> > consider doing something other than Java Applets as their support is
> spotty
> > at best.  consider a flash transition or even a JavaScript type show.
> > Here is one I made that's very rudimentary.
> > http://www.northeastdigitalphoto.com/biz/java/animation.htm
> > it contains a flash on the bottom with a java applet above.
> > HTH

> > > I recently created a website for a client. I found that I couldn't
> change
> > > the default background color within the slideshows I made. Is it
> possible
> > > do this? I would like it to tie in with the rest of the site colors
and
> > not
> > > be the ugly default grey. Here is the site address so you can see what
> > > mean. Wait 5 secs for the pictures to change.      I'm using FP2002.
> > > TIA   Jill Roberts

> > > http://www.jorgensenart.com/GalleriesIndex.htm

change background color within a slideshow?

Post by J Robert » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 02:30:26

Hi again:  That's the one I used: "photo gallery" and I didn't change
anything, just inserted the pictures. I agree with you that flash gives a
much better result. I have no experience in creating one however. I'll go to
the area you have suggested and look for a flash program. I have Flash MX
but have never used it. If it's like DreamWeaver then I'm probably not going
to do too well at first.  ;-)   I appreciate the help. I'll let you know
what happens.         Jill Roberts

> [...]

> > I'll check the link you provided, but if you have any other ideas too, I
> > would be appreciative. Thank you again.      Jill Roberts

> > > you're using an applet for that.  you can probably change the
background
> > > size/ color from within what ever facility you made them.  You should
> > > consider doing something other than Java Applets as their support is
> > spotty
> > > at best.  consider a flash transition or even a JavaScript type show.
> > > Here is one I made that's very rudimentary.
> > > http://www.northeastdigitalphoto.com/biz/java/animation.htm
> > > it contains a flash on the bottom with a java applet above.
> > > HTH

> > change
> > possible
> and
> > > not

change background color within a slideshow?

Post by chris leed » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 02:41:23

O.K.  I looked again.  You used the banner ad rotator for those thumbnails.
that's java.  I don't see in your galleries where you used the fp 2002 slide
show style gallery.  it's a row of thumbnails with forward and back arrows
and it then displays the main picture below the thumbnails so people don't
leave the page.  that's the slideshow style gallery I was referring to.
If you want something that outputs the flash transition like I have on the
page I listed you can get one from www.netgui.com it's ok and easy to work
with the only drawback is that it closes the .swf file instead of making it
loop.  you'll have to open the .swf with another editor and take away the
stop statement on the last frame.
I still use it anyway because it's so easy and it does nice transitions
automatically.
HTH

> [...]

> > > 'flash' ability already installed. It would mean providing a link for
> them
> > > to get it......yada yada......  I have the software to make a flash
> show,
> > > but I haven't ever made one.
> > > I'm not sure how to do it as a JavaScript show, I thought that's what
it
> > was
> > > :-)
> > > I'll check the link you provided, but if you have any other ideas too,
> > > would be appreciative. Thank you again.      Jill Roberts

> background
> > > spotty

> > > change
> > > possible
> > and
> what
FP2002.

change background color within a slideshow?

Post by J Robert » Fri, 29 Nov 2002 03:12:05

Thank you. I will try it. Sorry, you are right re slideshow. I used this:
Insert/DHTML Effects/Banner Ad Manager. I'm going to try that flash program
and maybe Swish too......... I'll be back later ...   Jill R.