office documents open as 'read only'

Post by Mark » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:57:36

I have several links to office documents on my intranet.
They open in the correct program when I click on the link
but some of them open as 'read only'.  File permisssions
and document properties are correct.  I'm confused becuase
I'm able to edit some, but not others.  I'd like them all
to open for editing.  Any ideas??
thanx,
Mark

office documents open as 'read only'

Post by David Berr » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:29:01

That's because they're loaded into a TEMP directory on your PC.  You need to
save them to your HD first, then open them and they won't be read only.

David Berry - MCP
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
FrontPage Support: http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

Quote:> I have several links to office documents on my intranet.
> They open in the correct program when I click on the link
> but some of them open as 'read only'.  File permisssions
> and document properties are correct.  I'm confused becuase
> I'm able to edit some, but not others.  I'd like them all
> to open for editing.  Any ideas??
> thanx,
> Mark

office documents open as 'read only'

Post by Mark » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 01:34:30

thanks for the reply David!
I would like to save them back to the original location on
the server, in the web.  Is there a way I can set it up to
do that?
Mark

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>That's because they're loaded into a TEMP directory on

your PC.  You need to
>save them to your HD first, then open them and they won't
be read only.

>--
>--
>David Berry - MCP
>Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>FrontPage Support: http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/
>-----------------------------------
>To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage
support see:
>  http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>-----------------------------------

>> I have several links to office documents on my intranet.
>> They open in the correct program when I click on the
link
>> but some of them open as 'read only'.  File permisssions
>> and document properties are correct.  I'm confused
becuase
>> I'm able to edit some, but not others.  I'd like them
all
>> to open for editing.  Any ideas??
>> thanx,
>> Mark

>.

office documents open as 'read only'

Post by David Berr » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:27:26

You can do that with SharePoint Team Services but with FP you'd need to
write a script to delete the existing file and upload a new file.  The other
way to do it is open the web and import the new file.

David Berry - MCP
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
FrontPage Support: http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/
-----------------------------------
-----------------------------------

> thanks for the reply David!
> I would like to save them back to the original location on
> the server, in the web.  Is there a way I can set it up to
> do that?
> Mark

Post by Jack Brewste » Thu, 12 Dec 2002 02:51:00

I think you could use non-web server paths instead to achieve the same
result. Instead of importing the .doc files into your FP web, just create a
share on the network and link to the file.  Something like:
\\docserver\docs\mydoc.doc

I believe when you open a file via the browser from a file path, it is _not_
downloaded to the temp directory, rather, it is opened from the original
location.  You would have to test it because I could be completely wrong. :)

Since it's on an Intranet you can use NTFS to secure the files.  You don't
have to worry about 'hiding' behind the web server.  This wouldn't work for
a true Internet site.

Good luck,

Jack

> You can do that with SharePoint Team Services but with FP you'd need to
> write a script to delete the existing file and upload a new file.  The
other
> way to do it is open the web and import the new file.

> --
> --
> David Berry - MCP
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
> FrontPage Support: http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/
> -----------------------------------
> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
>   http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
> -----------------------------------

> > thanks for the reply David!
> > I would like to save them back to the original location on
> > the server, in the web.  Is there a way I can set it up to
> > do that?
> > Mark

Post by Mark » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 00:26:21

thanks for you help David and Jack

mark

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I think you could use non-web server paths instead to
achieve the same
>result. Instead of importing the .doc files into your FP
web, just create a
>share on the network and link to the file.  Something
like:
>\\docserver\docs\mydoc.doc

>I believe when you open a file via the browser from a

file path, it is _not_
Quote:>downloaded to the temp directory, rather, it is opened
from the original
>location.  You would have to test it because I could be

completely wrong. :)

>Since it's on an Intranet you can use NTFS to secure the
files.  You don't
>have to worry about 'hiding' behind the web server.  This
wouldn't work for
>a true Internet site.

>Good luck,

>Jack

>> You can do that with SharePoint Team Services but with
FP you'd need to
>> write a script to delete the existing file and upload a
new file.  The
>other
>> way to do it is open the web and import the new file.

>> --
>> --
>> David Berry - MCP
>> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
>> FrontPage Support: http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/
>> -----------------------------------
>> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage
support see:
>>   http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp
>> -----------------------------------

>> > thanks for the reply David!
>> > I would like to save them back to the original
location on
>> > the server, in the web.  Is there a way I can set it
up to
>> > do that?
>> > Mark

1. FP2000 won't allow Office documents to open w/out password

Recently ran into a problem with Word and Excel documents
not being able to be opened without the visitor putting
in a user name and password (mine that I use to upload
the site).  Example:
http://www.ascendingwings.com/training.htm page contains
an excel document target-growth.xls.  When someone clicks
it to open, it asks for a name/password.  Does the same
thing for Word documents.  This didn't happen before.  I
have a new PC running Windows XP.  I'm using FrontPage
2000 and Office 2000.

2. What does this error mean? (can't find it docu'd)

3. Documents to Office Files open the Office Application

4. INFO NEEDED: AI applications to signal processing

5. 60 Minute Intranet Kit-Word documents can't be read

6. How to abort EnumPrinters() operation?

7. 'Navagation Cancelled' or 'IE cannot open site...' why these errors?!?!

8. Windows on Netware

9. Can't open web with Office 2002

10. PDF files won't open under Office XP

11. Problems when web opened with 'Open Web'

12. How to have a linked document open in it's "parent" program?

13. Can't open or create a document