Parsing Text Data into Columns

Post by Ray Lak » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Does anyone know how to parse the data in the "Full Results" section of the
webpage at http://www.striders.net/wdf5k00.htm?  I would like to be able to
parse the "Full results" data into neat columns for a text file which I can
then copy and past into the page using PRE tags.  I've tried using Excel
which parses the text file when you import it but I can't get it to save
back into neatly formatted ASCII text columns.  I want to use text format
rather than putting the Excel file online for faster loading.

--
Ray Lake

1. Parsing/Pull data from an external page (News Feed type)

Greetings,

Well, just to start off, I'm not sure if this can be done
through FrontPage or not which is the main question.  So...

A company I'm working on a site for has teamed up with a
site offering news information.  The way it works is that
they have set up a page for me to access and they change
the links on it every day.  When I look at the page, it's
just a list of URLs in text format which they update daily.

Each of the URLs listed, if you type it into the address
bar, goes to a news article with embedded codes (as
comments) in the source to seperate the title from the
subtitle from the story etc.

The samples are:
<!-- start title -->
Actual title information
<!-- end title -->

<!-- start story -->
Actual story would be here
<!-- end story -->

etc.

I'm looking for a way that I can have a script to open up
the main page, then go to each URL in there and pull out
the various fields wanted (title and subtitle) to create
like an index page which would then link to the actual
page.

Does that make sense?  I hope so.  I don't know anything
about server side scripting which I'm assuming this is.  I
know they have other people do it through CGI and Perl and
probably others but I don't know if FrontPage has anything
included to handle things like this.

Any help would be appreciated.  Please email me for more
specifics.

Thanks,
--Mike

2. Replacing my HP LaserJet III - Recommendations?

3. Parse data???

4. Laptops can't browse when not on NW

5. email forms to multiple recipients/parse form data

6. Tandberg DLT7000 Autoloader with VMS 7.2-1?

7. Storing SQL data in rows versus columns

8. Printing from WinNT 4.0

9. Multiple Data Columns in a Drop Down List

10. Display data in mutliple columns with DRW

11. Data entry with columns ???

12. Help: scroll table data but not column headings

13. Can't Select Data Columns or Custom Query