server

Post by Malvin Lun » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I know this is not the place for it but I am intersested in knowing more
about how one can set up there own little server at home. Can anyone
point me out to any resourses so I can start learning.  I have internet
cable access so I figure that may be enough bandwidth to fool around
with it.
thanx, mal

server

Post by Kevin Spence » Tue, 03 Aug 1999 04:00:00

If you're running NT, you can set up Internet Information Server. Otherwise,
you can set up PWS 4, which comes with Windows 98 and is also part of the NT
4.0 Option Pack, a free download from the MS web site.

HOWEVER, I wouldn't recommend doing it, for several reasons. Windows 98 is
not a secure environment for hosting, and is vulnerable to hackers of all
kinds. If you have NT, you should be running NTFS for security purposes.
Finally, your cable service may not (probably doesn't) allow you to host
from your cable modem connection, and you could get into a pack of trouble.

HTH,

--
Kevin Spencer
Microsoft FrontPage MVP

Quote:> I know this is not the place for it but I am intersested in knowing more
> about how one can set up there own little server at home. Can anyone
> point me out to any resourses so I can start learning.  I have internet
> cable access so I figure that may be enough bandwidth to fool around
> with it.
> thanx, mal

server

Post by Malvin Lun » Tue, 17 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I just checked with my cable company and they said if I want to "fool around"
with it that is fine.  Can any one point me out to any learning resources?
mal