Automatically resizing or repositioning graphics for different screen resolutions

Automatically resizing or repositioning graphics for different screen resolutions

Post by Thomas A. Row » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The best way is to set him up with tables to hold
the images and text in place.

Tom Rowe

Quote:>Is there any way WITHIN FrontPage 98 to arrange

to have images repositioned
Quote:>or resized for different screen resolutions?

>I've got a client who wants to support his own

page directly once I get it
Quote:>up for him and FP98 is obviously the way to go

since neither he nor I want
Quote:>him hand coding.

>However, he will have a lot of "catalogue style"

graphics with centered
Quote:>text to the left and/or right and this causes

some obvious screen blanks in
Quote:>higher resolutions if set for the VGA world.

>Any help from the "old pros" with FP would be of

help (I have used it on
Quote:>and off since release 1.0, but intermittently and

usually as a hurry-up
Quote:>code generator).

>Thanks!

>E. L. Wimett
>Silver Dragon Company

Automatically resizing or repositioning graphics for different screen resolutions

Post by Arunas Salkauska » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00

Fixed layout would really be the only option - even if there was an
automatic image resizing feature, I wouldn't recommend using it.  Even using
HTML to resize images is a deceitful / ugly thing to do.  People could be
fooled into download a huge image even though it is only displayed as a
thumbnail.  And the resizing is not nearly as good as a good graphics
program will give you.

Put the images each in one cell, and the description in another cell, and
prey...pray?
Pray.

We have something like what you mention (I think), on one of our pages.  We
describe an image with text to one side.  All done with tables.  Viewable at
640 wide, but stretches out fine at higher resolutions:
www.highpointdesigns.com/wineglry/wine.html

HTH
- Arunas Salkauskas
High Point Designs