Arrrrrgh! W3SVC error in log!!

Post by Tess Schulma » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

All,

Forgive the crossposting, as I wasn't sure if this is an NT Server error or
a FrontPage error.  This is the mysteries to beat all mysteries as far as I
am concerned! We have an Intranet web running on a NT 4.0 Service Pack 3
server, IIS installed.  (I think it is the IIS that shipped with the
original NT 4.0 --- IIS 2.0?)  The darn thing has worked fine for months and
month on end, until today.  One of the web masters tried to edit/access the
site through both FP 98 and a browser but received the error that stated the
"website could not be found".  I confirmed this by trying it myself.

If I browse through the computer, it appears that InetPub\WWWRoot is there
in all of it's glory, everything intact.  However, I am getting this cryptic
error in the event log on the server.

Date:  5/3/99
Time:  1:41:59 PM
User: N/A
Computer:  Blah-pdc
Event ID: 101
Sourve: W3SVC
Type: Warning
Category: None

The server was unable to add the virtual root '/_vti_cnf' for the directory
d:\InetPub\WWWRoot\'_vit_cnf' due to the following error:  Access is denied.
The data is the error code.

Data:     Bytes (checked)   Words
0000:      05    00    00    00                .  .  .  .

Has anyone seen this before?  I've tried running the frontpage administrator
to check/repair server extensions,  but it didn't appear to help.  Please
help before I go insane!!

--
___Tess Sutton-Schulman____

http://www.flash.net/~trls

email:  trls at flash dot net

"It is absurd to divide people into 'good'
 and 'bad'.  They are either charming or
 tedious."

----Oscar Wilde

Check out my Internet Radio Station!

http://www.imagineradio.com/mymusiclisten.asp?name=PaganWench

Arrrrrgh! W3SVC error in log!!

Post by news.oanet.co » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi,  I beleive that this problem is associated with the Type of logging you
are doing.  Go into IIS and then into that web site.  Check logging under
there and make sure there is a correct folder that it is going into.  That
folder that the logs are going into is no longer there.  Or maybe no room
left.  Should be something like that.Thanks Ian

Quote:> All,

> Forgive the crossposting, as I wasn't sure if this is an NT Server error
or
> a FrontPage error.  This is the mysteries to beat all mysteries as far as
> am concerned! We have an Intranet web running on a NT 4.0 Service Pack 3
> server, IIS installed.  (I think it is the IIS that shipped with the
> original NT 4.0 --- IIS 2.0?)  The darn thing has worked fine for months
and
> month on end, until today.  One of the web masters tried to edit/access
the
> site through both FP 98 and a browser but received the error that stated
the
> "website could not be found".  I confirmed this by trying it myself.

> If I browse through the computer, it appears that InetPub\WWWRoot is there
> in all of it's glory, everything intact.  However, I am getting this
cryptic
> error in the event log on the server.

> Date:  5/3/99
> Time:  1:41:59 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer:  Blah-pdc
> Event ID: 101
> Sourve: W3SVC
> Type: Warning
> Category: None

> The server was unable to add the virtual root '/_vti_cnf' for the
directory
> d:\InetPub\WWWRoot\'_vit_cnf' due to the following error:  Access is
denied.
> The data is the error code.

> Data:     Bytes (checked)   Words
> 0000:      05    00    00    00                .  .  .  .

> Has anyone seen this before?  I've tried running the frontpage
administrator
> to check/repair server extensions,  but it didn't appear to help.  Please
> help before I go insane!!

> --
> ___Tess Sutton-Schulman____

> http://www.flash.net/~trls

> email:  trls at flash dot net

> "It is absurd to divide people into 'good'
>  and 'bad'.  They are either charming or
>  tedious."

> ----Oscar Wilde

> Check out my Internet Radio Station!

> http://www.imagineradio.com/mymusiclisten.asp?name=PaganWench

Arrrrrgh! W3SVC error in log!!

Post by Tess Schulma » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi.  Thanks for the input.  Could you tell me how to "go into IIS"?  I don't
see anything on the program menu for IIS.  However, IIS is listed as running
under the services tab on the server.  Thus, I suppose our web site depends
upon this.

Please note that I am not the web master.  I sort of inherited this duty
after the web master quit!

--
___Tess Sutton-Schulman____

http://www.flash.net/~trls

email:  trls at flash dot net

"It is absurd to divide people into 'good'
 and 'bad'.  They are either charming or
 tedious."

----Oscar Wilde

Quote:> Hi,  I beleive that this problem is associated with the Type of logging
you
> are doing.  Go into IIS and then into that web site.  Check logging under
> there and make sure there is a correct folder that it is going into.  That
> folder that the logs are going into is no longer there.  Or maybe no room
> left.  Should be something like that.Thanks Ian

Arrrrrgh! W3SVC error in log!!

Post by Bob » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi.  Thanks for the input.  Could you tell me how to "go into IIS"?  I don't
>see anything on the program menu for IIS.  However, IIS is listed as running
>under the services tab on the server.  Thus, I suppose our web site depends
>upon this.

>Please note that I am not the web master.  I sort of inherited this duty
>after the web master quit!

If it's IIS 4.0, it creates an "Microsoft NT Option Pack" program item, and
from there look in the "Microsoft Internet Information Server" folder, and
there it is, the "Internet Service Manager".

If the shortcut was deleted, you can just run MMC.EXE and load the IIS
snap-in.  Never used MMC?  Get used to it is all I can say! :-)

Arrrrrgh! W3SVC error in log!!

Post by Tess Schulma » Thu, 06 May 1999 04:00:00

I appreciate the help.  The saga continues.  :-)  We are running IIS 3.0,
and I managed to locate the Internet Service Manager.  I deleted the backlog
of logs (ha ha ha), but this didn't help.  I took a look under the service
properties for the WWW service, and almost every directory listed as an
"Access Denied" error beside it!  What does this mean?  It sounds like a
permission problem of some sort, but I know that I haven't touched any
permissions on the directories for the Web Server (InetPub\WWWRoot).
Arrrrrrgh!  I'm going insane!!

I do have 3 separate people who have been "editing" the website with
FrontPage 98.  Could they have inadvertently screwed things up via
permissions?  I've cornered all of them and only one admitted to deleting
anything, and that was his personal "directory" of webspace under the
FrontPage rootweb.  (Of course, even if they *did* do something stupid, it's
not likely they will admit it.)

Any more ideas??  Should I upgrade to IIS 4.0 with the Option Pack?  Delete
the whole damn thing and start over?  This is frustrating as hell. Is there
anyway I can repair this damage?

Thanks in Advance,

--
___Tess Sutton-Schulman____

http://www.flash.net/~trls

email:  trls at flash dot net

"It is absurd to divide people into 'good'
 and 'bad'.  They are either charming or
 tedious."

----Oscar Wilde

> If it's IIS 4.0, it creates an "Microsoft NT Option Pack" program item,
and
> from there look in the "Microsoft Internet Information Server" folder, and
> there it is, the "Internet Service Manager".

> If the shortcut was deleted, you can just run MMC.EXE and load the IIS
> snap-in.  Never used MMC?  Get used to it is all I can say! :-)

1. Listing of log ins

Is it possible to keep a log of all those who log in to my password
protected website with a sub web?
I'm interested in determining 1) who logged in 2) what time/day.

If this is possible can you point me in the direction I need to go to get it
going?

Thanks

2. Lotus Notes 4.5 and Psion S3

3. CAUTION: Dealing with Richard Barnett @ Printers Plus in Alexandria VA

4. Front Page Server Admin shows port /LM/W3SVC/1 as well as 80

5. psionic Psion 3

6. Permissions - Logging when users log into secure site.

7. Live CDROM Version of OS/2?

8. IIS Log File not Logging

9. log files & log analyzers

10. Permissions - Logging when users log into secure site.

11. Log in Log out - How ? Please help

12. Server system log error