FP98 didn't upload what I uploaded

Post by Elizabet » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:13:58

Hi. I created a Web site with FP98 in 1998.  I had no experience; I
just taught myself with _FrontPage 98 for Dummies_. I continue to use
that program. My operating system is Windows 98. Since I'm not an
expert  at Web site maintenance, I think I did something I shouldn't
have, but I don't know what.

Not quite a year ago I got a new computer but had it loaded with
Windows 98. I reinstalled FP98 and continued to use the site I had
already made. (The files were backed up.) But I neglected the site
because it had no time-sensitive information. But the other day I
finally decided it was time to upload new information and delete some
of the Web pages we no longer needed. I also added pages to the site
that were on a different subject, so the new and old pages contained
no links to each other.

I made my changes in FP, frequently previewing my changes in both
Internet Explorer and Netscape. They looked fine. So
I uploaded by pressing PUBLISH. Since it was the first time I had
uploaded since I reinstalled FrontPage, the program thought I was a
different author than had dealt with the site before. I got a screen
giving me three choices of what to do about my changes versus the
other author's. I forget the exact words, but I chose the option for
FrontPage to meld my changes with those of the other author. I think
that may have been the wrong choice. (I don't recall reading about
that screen in _FR98 for Dummies_.)

On the home page before this upload, I had buttons along the left side
that were to link to the other pages in my husband's company part of
the site. I did not change this.  But, after the site uploaded, I
looked at it on the Internet, and all of those buttons are now
missing. Likewise, I had those same links along the bottom of the
page, and they are now all gone. So now the user can't link to the
other pages, and the home page looks lopsided. I don't know what my
changes to the other pages look like.

Because the pages look fine in FP when I preview them in the browsers,
I don't know how I can fix them. I can only guess that the trouble is
that I chose the wrong option when I told it to meld my changes with
the other author's. I probably should have chosen to change
the structure (I forget the words).

Another odd thing, the four new Web pages that I added look great.
These pages contain many thumbnail pictures, and those work great,
too.

Can someone help me? PLEASE? And please remember, even though I've had
this program since 1998, I don't use it often and only know what's in
_FrontPage 98 for Dummies_ .

Thanks,
Beth

FP98 didn't upload what I uploaded

Post by Thomas A. Row » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 09:29:11

You should have select the middle option. The only solution is to delete the
remote site and publish up the local copy once you have made sure that it is
correct.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Quote:

> Hi. I created a Web site with FP98 in 1998.  I had no experience; I
> just taught myself with _FrontPage 98 for Dummies_. I continue to use
> that program. My operating system is Windows 98. Since I'm not an
> expert  at Web site maintenance, I think I did something I shouldn't
> have, but I don't know what.

> Not quite a year ago I got a new computer but had it loaded with
> Windows 98. I reinstalled FP98 and continued to use the site I had
> already made. (The files were backed up.) But I neglected the site
> because it had no time-sensitive information. But the other day I
> finally decided it was time to upload new information and delete some
> of the Web pages we no longer needed. I also added pages to the site
> that were on a different subject, so the new and old pages contained
> no links to each other.

> I made my changes in FP, frequently previewing my changes in both
> Internet Explorer and Netscape. They looked fine. So
> I uploaded by pressing PUBLISH. Since it was the first time I had
> uploaded since I reinstalled FrontPage, the program thought I was a
> different author than had dealt with the site before. I got a screen
> giving me three choices of what to do about my changes versus the
> other author's. I forget the exact words, but I chose the option for
> FrontPage to meld my changes with those of the other author. I think
> that may have been the wrong choice. (I don't recall reading about
> that screen in _FR98 for Dummies_.)

> On the home page before this upload, I had buttons along the left side
> that were to link to the other pages in my husband's company part of
> the site. I did not change this.  But, after the site uploaded, I
> looked at it on the Internet, and all of those buttons are now
> missing. Likewise, I had those same links along the bottom of the
> page, and they are now all gone. So now the user can't link to the
> other pages, and the home page looks lopsided. I don't know what my
> changes to the other pages look like.

> Because the pages look fine in FP when I preview them in the browsers,
> I don't know how I can fix them. I can only guess that the trouble is
> that I chose the wrong option when I told it to meld my changes with
> the other author's. I probably should have chosen to change
> the structure (I forget the words).

> Another odd thing, the four new Web pages that I added look great.
> These pages contain many thumbnail pictures, and those work great,
> too.

> Can someone help me? PLEASE? And please remember, even though I've had
> this program since 1998, I don't use it often and only know what's in
> _FrontPage 98 for Dummies_ .

> Thanks,
> Beth

FP98 didn't upload what I uploaded

Post by MadMax » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:22:42

The dialog sounds like the Navigation Structure dialog rather than an author-related issue. It appears when the Navigation Structure of the two webs is different and gives you the option of
-Keeping the existing navigation structure,
-Overwrite the navigation structure, or
-Let FrontPage merge the navigation structure of the two webs.
Your navigation bars in the shared borders a dependant upon the navigation structure of the web. That is why they are not appearing properly.
On your local web, change something in t your navigation view and re-publish. When the dialog box shows up again, select the option to overwrite.
Please post the URL so we can see it working!
--
MadMaxx
MCP - FrontPage 98

> Hi. I created a Web site with FP98 in 1998.  I had no experience; I
> just taught myself with _FrontPage 98 for Dummies_. I continue to use
> that program. My operating system is Windows 98. Since I'm not an
> expert  at Web site maintenance, I think I did something I shouldn't
> have, but I don't know what.

> Not quite a year ago I got a new computer but had it loaded with
> Windows 98. I reinstalled FP98 and continued to use the site I had
> already made. (The files were backed up.) But I neglected the site
> because it had no time-sensitive information. But the other day I
> finally decided it was time to upload new information and delete some
> of the Web pages we no longer needed. I also added pages to the site
> that were on a different subject, so the new and old pages contained
> no links to each other.

> I made my changes in FP, frequently previewing my changes in both
> Internet Explorer and Netscape. They looked fine. So
> I uploaded by pressing PUBLISH. Since it was the first time I had
> uploaded since I reinstalled FrontPage, the program thought I was a
> different author than had dealt with the site before. I got a screen
> giving me three choices of what to do about my changes versus the
> other author's. I forget the exact words, but I chose the option for
> FrontPage to meld my changes with those of the other author. I think
> that may have been the wrong choice. (I don't recall reading about
> that screen in _FR98 for Dummies_.)

> On the home page before this upload, I had buttons along the left side
> that were to link to the other pages in my husband's company part of
> the site. I did not change this.  But, after the site uploaded, I
> looked at it on the Internet, and all of those buttons are now
> missing. Likewise, I had those same links along the bottom of the
> page, and they are now all gone. So now the user can't link to the
> other pages, and the home page looks lopsided. I don't know what my
> changes to the other pages look like.

> Because the pages look fine in FP when I preview them in the browsers,
> I don't know how I can fix them. I can only guess that the trouble is
> that I chose the wrong option when I told it to meld my changes with
> the other author's. I probably should have chosen to change
> the structure (I forget the words).

> Another odd thing, the four new Web pages that I added look great.
> These pages contain many thumbnail pictures, and those work great,
> too.

> Can someone help me? PLEASE? And please remember, even though I've had
> this program since 1998, I don't use it often and only know what's in
> _FrontPage 98 for Dummies_ .

> Thanks,
> Beth

FP98 didn't upload what I uploaded

Post by Elizabet » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 04:12:23

OK. I'll try this solution before I try the other suggestion to delete
the remote site, then republish, because this sounds easier. I hope
this works.  The site is www.evansplumbing.com, and it looks really
awful right now. You can't link to anything because the links are
missing. Once I try your solution, I'll post a message that it worked
or didn't.

You can go directly to www.evansplumbing.com/ourday.htm and see the
four pages that I added to the site (but didn't put links to them on
the Evans Plumbing pages because they're unrelated). Those pages are
fine, including their links to each other.

Thanks,
Beth

> [...]

>> other pages, and the home page looks lopsided. I don't know what my
>> changes to the other pages look like.
>>=20
>> Because the pages look fine in FP when I preview them in the browsers,
>> I don't know how I can fix them. I can only guess that the trouble is
>> that I chose the wrong option when I told it to meld my changes with
>> the other author's. I probably should have chosen to change
>> the structure (I forget the words).
>>=20
>> Another odd thing, the four new Web pages that I added look great.
>> These pages contain many thumbnail pictures, and those work great,
>> too.
>>=20
>> Can someone help me? PLEASE? And please remember, even though I've had
>> this program since 1998, I don't use it often and only know what's in

Post by MadMax » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:56:57

Hi Elizabeth,
I looked it over. It is not as bad as you make it sound ;-) The links were there. The banner (_derived/index.shtml_cmp_indust000_bnr.gif) is missing on the home page and the Contents page is missing its left shared border, but other than that, it is ok.
I would suggest creating a new web ("ourday" or "seaworld" etc...) and placing the 4 pages in that. Then publish it as a subweb to http://www.evansplumbing.com/ourday/ (or ...com/seaworld/ or whatever). That way your original web does not get affected in any way. You could even have shared borders and navigation bars on the new pages, a different theme, etc...
Good luck!  Sea World looks like fun! It's been 26 years since I was there. I'll have to take my wife there: she loves polar bears and we don't have too many of them in Australia.
--
MadMaxx
MCP - FrontPage 98

> [...]

> >> other pages, and the home page looks lopsided. I don't know what my
> >> changes to the other pages look like.
> >>=20
> >> Because the pages look fine in FP when I preview them in the browsers,
> >> I don't know how I can fix them. I can only guess that the trouble is
> >> that I chose the wrong option when I told it to meld my changes with
> >> the other author's. I probably should have chosen to change
> >> the structure (I forget the words).
> >>=20
> >> Another odd thing, the four new Web pages that I added look great.
> >> These pages contain many thumbnail pictures, and those work great,
> >> too.
> >>=20
> >> Can someone help me? PLEASE? And please remember, even though I've had
> >> this program since 1998, I don't use it often and only know what's in

Post by Elizabet » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 06:59:48

I fixed this problem with the help of MadMaxx. Now I have ANOTHER
problem.

In Internet Explorer, on the home page (www.evansplumbing.com), the
banner that is supposed to be accross the top of the page saying
"Evans Plumbing of San Diego" dissappeared. "Evans Plumbing of San
Diego" is just written at the top in regular type, and no banner is
there at all. Yet the banners across the tops of all the other pages
look fine.

In Netscape, the words "Evans Plumbing of San Diego" appear accross
the top of the page in much larger type than I made in FrontPage, and
the banner isn't there at all. Also in Netscape, the first list with
bullets has each bullet appearing slightly too high above the text it
belongs with. On the other pages, everything appears slightly too far
to the right, but that's just going to have to do. I'm sick to death
of trying to make the site look good in both IE and Netscape.

But I have to fix that banner on the home page. Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Beth

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002 00:13:58 GMT,

>Hi. I created a Web site with FP98 in 1998.  I had no experience; I
>just taught myself with _FrontPage 98 for Dummies_. I continue to use
>that program. My operating system is Windows 98. Since I'm not an
>expert  at Web site maintenance, I think I did something I shouldn't
>have, but I don't know what.

>Not quite a year ago I got a new computer but had it loaded with
>Windows 98. I reinstalled FP98 and continued to use the site I had
>already made. (The files were backed up.) But I neglected the site
>because it had no time-sensitive information. But the other day I
>finally decided it was time to upload new information and delete some
>of the Web pages we no longer needed. I also added pages to the site
>that were on a different subject, so the new and old pages contained
>no links to each other.

>I made my changes in FP, frequently previewing my changes in both
>Internet Explorer and Netscape. They looked fine. So
>I uploaded by pressing PUBLISH. Since it was the first time I had
>uploaded since I reinstalled FrontPage, the program thought I was a
>different author than had dealt with the site before. I got a screen
>giving me three choices of what to do about my changes versus the
>other author's. I forget the exact words, but I chose the option for
>FrontPage to meld my changes with those of the other author. I think
>that may have been the wrong choice. (I don't recall reading about
>that screen in _FR98 for Dummies_.)

>On the home page before this upload, I had buttons along the left side
>that were to link to the other pages in my husband's company part of
>the site. I did not change this.  But, after the site uploaded, I
>looked at it on the Internet, and all of those buttons are now
>missing. Likewise, I had those same links along the bottom of the
>page, and they are now all gone. So now the user can't link to the
>other pages, and the home page looks lopsided. I don't know what my
>changes to the other pages look like.

>Because the pages look fine in FP when I preview them in the browsers,
>I don't know how I can fix them. I can only guess that the trouble is
>that I chose the wrong option when I told it to meld my changes with
>the other author's. I probably should have chosen to change
>the structure (I forget the words).

>Another odd thing, the four new Web pages that I added look great.
>These pages contain many thumbnail pictures, and those work great,
>too.

>Can someone help me? PLEASE? And please remember, even though I've had
>this program since 1998, I don't use it often and only know what's in
>_FrontPage 98 for Dummies_ .

>Thanks,
>Beth

FP98 didn't upload what I uploaded

Post by MadMax » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:03:03

Sorry, not "Contents", but "Contact" page is the one still missing the left shared border.
--
MadMaxx
MCP - FrontPage 98

FP98 didn't upload what I uploaded

Post by Stefan B. Rusynk » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 21:27:25

Same problem - missing image
The banner is looking for the missing image:
http://www.evansplumbing.com/_derived/index.shtml_cmp_indust000_bnr.gif

From the image name it appears your navigation view thinks the home page is named index.shtml, but that file does not exist on your server.  You also have a page named index.html (second home page) (missing all shared borders)

Suggest you contact your host & find out what your home page file name should be and name it that way in FP (in Navigation view) , then republish
--

"Warning - Using the F1 Key will not break anything!"  (-;

> [...]

| >missing. Likewise, I had those same links along the bottom of the
| >page, and they are now all gone. So now the user can't link to the
| >other pages, and the home page looks lopsided. I don't know what my
| >changes to the other pages look like.
| >
| >Because the pages look fine in FP when I preview them in the browsers,
| >I don't know how I can fix them. I can only guess that the trouble is
| >that I chose the wrong option when I told it to meld my changes with
| >the other author's. I probably should have chosen to change
| >the structure (I forget the words).
| >
| >Another odd thing, the four new Web pages that I added look great.
| >These pages contain many thumbnail pictures, and those work great,
| >too.
| >
| >Can someone help me? PLEASE? And please remember, even though I've had
| >this program since 1998, I don't use it often and only know what's in

1. Upload didn't work Please Help

One suggestion I have is for you to check all file names and make sure they
are all in lower case. Some servers will not show a page if files are titles
with caps or if some are with caps and others are not. I had the same
problem. Chenk all the associated files, make them all lowercase and then
send it again and see if that helps.

Steven

2. Music and Connectionism Book Announcement

3. HELP My forms in FP98 don't work when uploaded

4. refile: unable to allocate storage for msgstats

5. does uploading fp web upload older extensions?

6. Problem in passing data from COM to VB

7. HELP: Upload web constantly wants to re-upload everything

8. Away on a trip

9. Uploaded changed pages do not show as changed after upload is completed

10. How to add an 'Upload file' to a reply form in FP2000 ?

11. It doesn't appear in preview and won't upload~~~

12. Publish - Don't Publish Didn't Work

13. Theme's bullet graphic didn't publish to web