Skip files when publishing

Post by Paul » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

When publishing in FPY2K it first asks if I'm sure that i want to overwrite
the existing file. Thats OK. But it ask me to confirm whether I want to
delete all othwer files on my site, not beeing made by FPY2K. How may I skip
Question?

Skip files when publishing

Post by Jens Peter Karlsen [FP MVP » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Publish the online Web to your local Web so they are identical.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

>When publishing in FPY2K it first asks if I'm sure that i want to overwrite
>the existing file. Thats OK. But it ask me to confirm whether I want to
>delete all othwer files on my site, not beeing made by FPY2K. How may I skip
>Question?

Skip files when publishing

Post by Lee Dob » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Do you mean "Import" the online web? In my case, there are many hundreds of
files on the site, and I'm interested in modifying a subweb (actually, it's
a parallel web -- the others are in different languages, and I don't
maintain them). Isn't there some way to mark my portion of the site as a
subweb so it doesn't bother with the rest?

--
Lee Dobbs
Milpitas, CA

http://www.cdpages.com/dobbs

Skip files when publishing

Post by Thomas A. Row » Sat, 22 Jan 2000 04:00:00

If the server has the FP2000 extensions, open the site in FP2000, then right
click on the folder to convert to a subweb, then open and publish.

--
=====================================
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

> Do you mean "Import" the online web? In my case, there are many hundreds
of
> files on the site, and I'm interested in modifying a subweb (actually,
it's
> a parallel web -- the others are in different languages, and I don't
> maintain them). Isn't there some way to mark my portion of the site as a
> subweb so it doesn't bother with the rest?

> >Publish the online Web to your local Web so they are identical.

> >Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.

> >>When publishing in FPY2K it first asks if I'm sure that i want to
> >>overwrite the existing file. Thats OK. But it ask me to confirm whether
> >>I want to delete all othwer files on my site, not beeing made by FPY2K.
> >>How may I skip Question?

> --
> Lee Dobbs
> Milpitas, CA

> http://www.cdpages.com/dobbs

Skip files when publishing

Post by Lee Dob » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>If the server has the FP2000 extensions, open the site in FP2000, then
>right click on the folder to convert to a subweb, then open and publish.

It doesn't. The parallel sites all share the same images, so it looks like
the best I can hope for is to create links from the subweb's images
directory to the one in the main web (if FP doesn't *on a symbolic
link).

It's hard to believe that MS omitted such a fundamental feature as the
ability to synch only a specified portion of a web site regardless of the
server OS.

--
Lee Dobbs
Milpitas, CA

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Skip files when publishing

Post by Thomas A. Row » Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:00:00

You will need to create absolute URL to the images, if you will be also
working on the site locally.

--
=====================================
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
FrontPage Resources, Email Discussion List,
Newsletter, WebRing, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

> >If the server has the FP2000 extensions, open the site in FP2000, then
> >right click on the folder to convert to a subweb, then open and publish.

> It doesn't. The parallel sites all share the same images, so it looks like
> the best I can hope for is to create links from the subweb's images
> directory to the one in the main web (if FP doesn't *on a symbolic
> link).

> It's hard to believe that MS omitted such a fundamental feature as the
> ability to synch only a specified portion of a web site regardless of the
> server OS.

> --
> Lee Dobbs
> Milpitas, CA

> http://www.veryComputer.com/

Skip files when publishing

Post by Lee Dob » Tue, 25 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>You will need to create absolute URL to the images, if you will be also
>working on the site locally.

Thanks for the pointers, Thomas. Here's what I've decided to do -- maybe
someone will find this useful in case they're faced with the same problem.

The server is running Unix, so the site will look like this:

/ (contains index.html, .htaccess)
   cgi  (scripts, etc.)
   images  (all images)
   en  (contains English *.html)
      cgi  (hard links to files in /cgi)
      images  (hard links to many images in /images)
   de  (contains German *.html)
      cgi
      images
   (and so forth for each language)

Each of the language-specific directories like /en contain an index.html
and all the other .html or .shtml files in that language, so it can be
treated as a complete web using FP. The subdirectories such as /en/images
contain hard links to files in the main /images directory, so the same
image will be used regardless of the language of the visitor. The only
exception would be things like image maps that display text; they *could*
reside only in the language-specific images directory, but for maintenance
purposes it might be better to link them to a unique name in the /images
tree, e.g.,

  /en/images/map1.jpg  <---> /images/map1-en.jpg

The entry /index.html (which provides links to /en/index.html,
/de/index.html, ...) would have to maintained separately, or it could be a
hard link to /en/index.html.

Anyway, this allows each language tree to be treated as a separate web in
FP while allowing all the images to be shared. The major requirement is
access to the Unix/Linux shell on the server to create the hard links.
That's not a problem in my case, but it may be impossible for others with
more restrictive ISPs.

--
Lee Dobbs
Milpitas, CA

http://www.cdpages.com/dobbs

1. Publish changed pages skips some

Can anyone explain how FrontPage2000 marks a page as being changed. When I
publish only the changed pages, some of the "changed pages" don't get
published. Then when I close FrontPage, it asks if I want to save certain
pages. I have once clicked the save button and thought all is saved.

What am I doing wrong. When you click save, does it not save all? When you
click "publish only changed", does it selectively publish certain changed
pages?

Thanks

Paul P

2. Overcoming Common AS/400 Misconceptions

3. Publishing process skips certain folders when uploading!!!

4. Capi2032.dll in Visual C++ einbinden

5. How do I skip the questions when publishing FPY2K?

6. firewalls

7. Publish Web "specify file to publish web to" How to delete files

8. Null modem problems

9. skips lines

10. Website skips (Jumps) / opens a second window

11. If you computer skips

12. skipping blank database results

13. FP98 - skipping pages for Search Indexes