HELP: need to upload files to web server directory via a web page

HELP: need to upload files to web server directory via a web page

Post by Patrick M. Rin » Thu, 29 May 2003 04:32:49

Hello,

I've searched hi and low for a viable solution to this dilema and can't seem
to come up with one.

Simply put,  I have a client who needs to be able to upload a file (image or
otherwise) to a directory on the web server via a web page.  I'd rather not
have to show her how to use an FTP client.

What is a simple way (preferably staying mostly within the capabilities of
FrontPage 2000 or maybe a bit of ASP...though I'm a novice in ASP) to do
this?

The web server in question is IIS 5.0 with FP ext's 2000.

If there's any more info I need to give, let me know.
Please advise.

Thanks in advance,
Patrick M. Ring

HELP: need to upload files to web server directory via a web page

Post by Ken Ford - PVII Suppor » Thu, 29 May 2003 04:51:02

Patrick,

http://www.aspalliance.com/Michiel/uploadscript.asp

http://www.asp101.com/articles/jacob/scriptupload.asp

are a couple to try.

--
Ken Ford

Post by Jim Buyen » Thu, 29 May 2003 04:56:53

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hello,

>I've searched hi and low for a viable solution to this
>dilema and can't seem to come up with one.

>Simply put,  I have a client who needs to be able to
>upload a file (image or otherwise) to a directory on the
>web server via a web page.  I'd rather not have to show
>her how to use an FTP client.

>What is a simple way (preferably staying mostly within
>the capabilities of FrontPage 2000 or maybe a bit of
>ASP...though I'm a novice in ASP) to do this?

>The web server in question is IIS 5.0 with FP ext's 2000.

FP2002 has this capability built-in. However, you would
need the FP2002 Server Extensions to process the upload,
and the FP2002 desktop software (or Notepad) to design the
form.

With only FP2000 available, you would need to use a 3rd-
party File Upload control *and* do some ASP scripting.

Most ISP's provide a 3rd-party File Upload control as part
of their service offering. Contact your ISP to see which
one they support.

Jim Buyens

Microsoft FrontPage MVP
Author of:
|\----------------------------------------------------/|
||     Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out     ||
||    Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out     ||
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition ||
||      Troubleshooting Microsoft FrontPage 2002      ||
||        Faster Smarter Beginning Programming        ||
||             (All from Microsoft Press)             ||
|/----------------------------------------------------\|

1. Can one upload files to a server from a web page?

I am trying to build a web page that will allow a user to select a file on
his PC and send a copy of the file to his folder on the web server.

I found the way to bring up the dialog box for browsing the local PC:

<input type="file" name="myfile">

But how do I make the browser send the named file to the web server?  IIS
web server.  I have NTFS file permissions set so the user has to supply his
user name and password.

I presume there is some method on the server to call to do the file transfer
and the browsers have something built in for sending files since this
functionality is used for attaching files to email messages at web based
email servers like www.hotmail.com, etc.

If you can point me to the right place to find this information, Id
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jim Schuldes
SBA UWM

p.s. I wonder if this is what "naty" was trying to do as well (see his post
about an "ftp page" few items up.)

2. Program folders not showing up in Start menu

3. HELP needed with uploading pictures on my personal WEB page

4. New Psion models ?

5. Delet Web Servers (limit to 14 web sites) Need More Web Sites

6. WTB: Box for ST - Star Raiders

7. Can upload files to server via FP 98

8. Suspend / Resume in SDT v2.5 Armulator

9. Need help: FP2002 won't save web page directly to web when editing

10. Need Help adding file into one of my web pages

11. Duplicate MS Personal Web Server files, directories?

12. Frontpage web page and MS word file timestamp (NEED HELP BIGTIME)