Can't see IIS virtual dir from Frontpage

Can't see IIS virtual dir from Frontpage

Post by Donovan Kenned » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi
We have a virtual directory in one of the webs on IIS, that is maintained
through Frontpage from a workstation. The problem is, Frontpage can't see
the virtual directory (it can see all the others). Is this possible?

Thanks
Donovan

Can't see IIS virtual dir from Frontpage

Post by Mark Fitzpatric » Fri, 23 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Sorry Donovan, but there is no way to get FrontPage to see virtual
directories for a large number of reasons. The first is the extensions bind
to the physical directories that are mapped to an IP address, virtual
directories don't get mapped in here. Also, since you can include a single
directory as multiple virtual directories you can have a major conflict
because FrontPage would recognize each of these as a unique directory and
lastly, permissions through IIS are handled very differently for virtual
directories then they are for physical directories. IIS has control over
physical directories' permissions while it doesn't have control over virtual
directories. FrontPage would need control over the virtual directories in
order to set publishing rights etc.. This doesn't apply for just IIS, it's a
global issue due to the way that web servers map directories.

        Hope this helps,
        Mark Fitzpatrick
        Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Quote:> Hi
> We have a virtual directory in one of the webs on IIS, that is maintained
> through Frontpage from a workstation. The problem is, Frontpage can't see
> the virtual directory (it can see all the others). Is this possible?

> Thanks
> Donovan

Can't see IIS virtual dir from Frontpage

Post by 5341.. » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
See MS article Q229893 Cannot Edit Content in a Virtual Directory in
FrontPage 98

Meir Saggie

Quote:> Hi

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Can't see IIS virtual dir from Frontpage

Post by Dan Pfeffe » Tue, 27 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
This is supported in FP2K,
Dan

> Hi,
> See MS article Q229893 Cannot Edit Content in a Virtual Directory in
> FrontPage 98

> Meir Saggie

> > Hi
> > We have a virtual directory in one of the webs on IIS, that is
> maintained
> > through Frontpage from a workstation. The problem is, Frontpage can't
> see
> > the virtual directory (it can see all the others). Is this possible?

> > Thanks
> > Donovan

Can't see IIS virtual dir from Frontpage

Post by larr » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Has anyone gotten this to work with FP2000 ext.?  I have implemented this
however only some of the virtual directories show when trying to edit them
with either FP2000, FP98, or Visual Interdev 6.  I have run the extension
configuration check which returned no errors.  I have uninstalled the
extensions for the affected web server, and achieved the same results.  .

Dir Structure
inetpub
    webserver
        wwwroot
        scripts(made virtual dir of wwwroot) this one does not show up as a
subweb.
        cgibin(made virtual dir of wwwroot) This one shows up as a subweb.

> Hi,
> This is supported in FP2K,
> Dan

> > Hi,
> > See MS article Q229893 Cannot Edit Content in a Virtual Directory in
> > FrontPage 98

> > Meir Saggie

> > > Hi
> > > We have a virtual directory in one of the webs on IIS, that is
> > maintained
> > > through Frontpage from a workstation. The problem is, Frontpage can't
> > see
> > > the virtual directory (it can see all the others). Is this possible?

> > > Thanks
> > > Donovan

1. FP doesn't recognize new base dir of IIS 3.0

Hi!

On ISS 3.0, I changed the home directory of my web server /BOSS to a UNC
directory ( \\orca\wwwroot ) on another workstation. HTML files which I
place there a found by a browser (http://boss/test.htm). But when I try to
create new webs in Frontpage, I get an error message:

'a web called "" is not found on the server'

When I try to show all webs of /BOSS, I get a message that the server is
busy.

Why doesn't FP recognize my new home directory?

Can anybody help? Thanks!

Jo

2. Sorry: I had to try it!

3. bcentral's ecommerce manager's - ecommerce wizard not seeing DSL connection in frontpage 2002

4. Start button problem !!!

5. Can't access Task List on some virtual hosts on IIS 4

6. Drag n' Drop Spreadsheet Control onto a Webform

7. using IIS virtual directories in a Frontpage web

8. ANNOUNCE: New Article on Language Selection

9. FrontPage & IIS Virtual Server

10. Frontpage and virtual directories on IIS 4

11. New to FP:No virtual dir-content, not publishing

12. No access to virtual dir

13. FRONTPAGE98 IGNORES VIRTUAl DIRS