Border on left hand shared border?

Border on left hand shared border?

Post by Ed Schindle » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 10:25:53



Hi -

I'm using shared borders on the left, with a text navigator. Is there any
way to turn on a right-side line that will extend the length of the page
(not just the length of the vertical navigation bar) within the shared
border?

I know I can do a table on the main part of the page and give it a left
border line, but it would be cleaner to do it in the shared border, if
possible.

A distinctive color background in the shared border would be ok as an
alternative. Is it safe to edit the normaly hidden html code for the shared
borders to add a different background color? (I'm assuming not...)

Thanks.

Ed
FP 2000

 
 
 

Border on left hand shared border?

Post by Thomas A. Row » Wed, 14 Mar 2001 11:31:11


The best approach I think is to set up your page with a table, then in the
left cell define a background color, etc. then use the FP Include Page
component with the nav bar component instead of the Shared Border component
which gives you limited control/flexibility.

With either the Shared Border or Include Page, you can not assign a page
background color that will be included in the page using either, as only the
content between the <body></body> tags is included.

--

=====================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Email Discussion List,
Newsletter, WebRing, MS KB Quick Links, etc.


Quote:> Hi -

> I'm using shared borders on the left, with a text navigator. Is there any
> way to turn on a right-side line that will extend the length of the page
> (not just the length of the vertical navigation bar) within the shared
> border?

> I know I can do a table on the main part of the page and give it a left
> border line, but it would be cleaner to do it in the shared border, if
> possible.

> A distinctive color background in the shared border would be ok as an
> alternative. Is it safe to edit the normaly hidden html code for the
shared
> borders to add a different background color? (I'm assuming not...)

> Thanks.

> Ed
> FP 2000


 
 
 

Border on left hand shared border?

Post by Gary Darb » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 06:50:14


Ed,

You might consider just dropping a table on the shared border.  You can then
color or border it as you wish.

_________________________
Gary
http://www.delphiforfun.org
_________________________


Quote:> Hi -

> I'm using shared borders on the left, with a text navigator. Is there any
> way to turn on a right-side line that will extend the length of the page
> (not just the length of the vertical navigation bar) within the shared
> border?

> I know I can do a table on the main part of the page and give it a left
> border line, but it would be cleaner to do it in the shared border, if
> possible.

> A distinctive color background in the shared border would be ok as an
> alternative. Is it safe to edit the normaly hidden html code for the
shared
> borders to add a different background color? (I'm assuming not...)

> Thanks.

> Ed
> FP 2000

 
 
 

Border on left hand shared border?

Post by Ed Schindle » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:55:01


Thanks, Gary, I tried this. The table in the shared border does not expand
to match lengthier content in the main body of the page - it's the same
problem as paragraph border formatting.

I think Mr. Rowe has the answer, although it isn't what I wanted to hear!

Ed


> Ed,

> You might consider just dropping a table on the shared border.  You can
then
> color or border it as you wish.

> _________________________
> Gary
> http://www.delphiforfun.org
> _________________________



> > Hi -

> > I'm using shared borders on the left, with a text navigator. Is there
any
> > way to turn on a right-side line that will extend the length of the page
> > (not just the length of the vertical navigation bar) within the shared
> > border?

> > I know I can do a table on the main part of the page and give it a left
> > border line, but it would be cleaner to do it in the shared border, if
> > possible.

> > A distinctive color background in the shared border would be ok as an
> > alternative. Is it safe to edit the normaly hidden html code for the
> shared
> > borders to add a different background color? (I'm assuming not...)

> > Thanks.

> > Ed
> > FP 2000

 
 
 

Border on left hand shared border?

Post by Gary Darb » Thu, 15 Mar 2001 11:29:00


I'm not sure what you mean by "expand to match lengthier content of the mainbody
of the  page".

I solved my border width problem by using  Insert-Picture-Clipart-Borders &
fames and picking one of the  horizontal line images.  I use them like cell
dividers within the border (Table is 1 by 1) .  I can select and  stretch/shrink
the line length as desired to control the width of the border.  Not real fancy,
but it works.   I just tried it and it looks like  you can also set the table
width in pixels (and height at 100   percent) to do the same thing.    I'd be
happy to learn a better way, like force the left border to be 25% of page
width..

_________________________
 Gary
 http://www.delphiforfun.org
 _________________________


> Thanks, Gary, I tried this. The table in the shared border does not expand
> to match lengthier content in the main body of the page - it's the same
> problem as paragraph border formatting.

> I think Mr. Rowe has the answer, although it isn't what I wanted to hear!

> Ed



> > Ed,

> > You might consider just dropping a table on the shared border.  You can
> then
> > color or border it as you wish.

> > _________________________
> > Gary
> > http://www.delphiforfun.org
> > _________________________



> > > Hi -

> > > I'm using shared borders on the left, with a text navigator. Is there
> any
> > > way to turn on a right-side line that will extend the length of the page
> > > (not just the length of the vertical navigation bar) within the shared
> > > border?

> > > I know I can do a table on the main part of the page and give it a left
> > > border line, but it would be cleaner to do it in the shared border, if
> > > possible.

> > > A distinctive color background in the shared border would be ok as an
> > > alternative. Is it safe to edit the normaly hidden html code for the
> > shared
> > > borders to add a different background color? (I'm assuming not...)

> > > Thanks.

> > > Ed
> > > FP 2000

 
 
 

1. Shared borders - left hand shared border height

Viewing my page in Netscape 4.04 shows that when I use a shared border on
the left side, I cannot make the border extend all the way to the bottom of
the page.

I have set both the table properties and the cell properties for the shared
border at 100% but the border ends after the navigation bar ends.  I would
like it to extend all the way to the bottom of the page.

It works fine in IE, only a problem in Netscape.

I want the page to look like this:
http://www.bowa.com/photopages/photos.htm
(I did this WITHOUT a shared border and it looks like I want it to, I just
used a simple table)

But it looks like this:
http://www.bowa.com/360s/photos360.htm
(I did this WITH a shared left border and its a problem)

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, -Jim

Jim Little
BOWA Builders, Inc.

2. WTB Fujitsu Poqet

3. Can't get rid of left hand shared border "gutter" any ideas?

4. [Fwd: Code Structure Breakdown Tool]

5. Help with Left Hand Shared Border?

6. quality of the CD-ROM reader shipping with Centrii

7. Left Shared Border -- Space between page and border

8. ADS R11 to R12

9. Left Shared Border - Decreasing the margin between border and main body

10. Shared Borders gap between left border and main page.

11. Left shared border leaves margin in FP2K

12. Left Hand Border

13. make gif repeat infinitely in left hand border