Hover buttons with sound

Post by Terry Pinnel » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 17:33:14

I'm getting erratic results when I try to create several 'hover
buttons', each with an assigned brief sound (an AU file). I've
followed the instructions in Help. But some of them work, others
don't, and I'm darned if I can see any consistent cause.

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Hover buttons with sound

Post by Tom Pepper Willet » Thu, 07 Nov 2002 22:51:57

See the answers to your other posts.  Please do not multiple post.

--
-----
Tom Pepper Willett

: I'm getting erratic results when I try to create several 'hover
: buttons', each with an assigned brief sound (an AU file). I've
: followed the instructions in Help. But some of them work, others
: don't, and I'm darned if I can see any consistent cause.
:
: Terry, West Sussex, UK
:

Hover buttons with sound

Post by Terry Pinnel » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 01:47:16

Quote:>See the answers to your other posts.  Please do not multiple post.

Which other posts? This is my only one on this subject.

Are you perhaps referring to 'Java-based features'? That raises a
different question, albeit prompted by the same unsuccessful attempts
to get hover buttons working reliably.

Or are you possibly mistakenly assuming 'Why won't this link play?',
was about hover buttons?

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Hover buttons with sound

Post by Terry Pinnel » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 05:59:26

I'm pleased to say that I've finally got my hover buttons working.
There may have been other contributing causes, such as my failure to
use File/Import rigorously, but the major reason was using the wrong
type of AU file.

It turns out that of all the attributes possible when creating an AU
file in GoldWave from the original MP3, only the 'Java/Web' type
works. Types that *do not* work include:
* 8 bit, mono, signed
* -law, mono
* A-law, mono
Presumably the stereo versions of those would fail too.

The first of those options is the default in GoldWave's drop-down box
when using the File>Batch Conversion feature, so naturally it was what
I used - particularly as I'd seen posts apparently recommending 8-bit
mono. When using just File>Save As, for a single AU file, there is no
attribute choice available. But, judging from the byte file size and
the fact that it works, that 'standard' AU appears to be the one with
'Java/Web' attributes (and it is also the smallest - and rather poor
quality).

This conflicts with recommendations I've seen elsewhere while
researching this issue. But FWIW, the above is the result of several
hours of testing.

The remaining flaw or feature I see here is that the hover buttons
*never* appear as anything other than grey rectangles in the Preview
window. I always have to use 'Preview in Browser'.

Terry, West Sussex, UK

Hover buttons with sound

Post by Thomas A. Row » Fri, 08 Nov 2002 06:05:10

Glad to hear that you have this working.

You should always use Preview in Browser, as the Preview tab is not a full
browser.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Quote:> I'm pleased to say that I've finally got my hover buttons working.
> There may have been other contributing causes, such as my failure to
> use File/Import rigorously, but the major reason was using the wrong
> type of AU file.

> It turns out that of all the attributes possible when creating an AU
> file in GoldWave from the original MP3, only the 'Java/Web' type
> works. Types that *do not* work include:
> * 8 bit, mono, signed
> * -law, mono
> * A-law, mono
> Presumably the stereo versions of those would fail too.

> The first of those options is the default in GoldWave's drop-down box
> when using the File>Batch Conversion feature, so naturally it was what
> I used - particularly as I'd seen posts apparently recommending 8-bit
> mono. When using just File>Save As, for a single AU file, there is no
> attribute choice available. But, judging from the byte file size and
> the fact that it works, that 'standard' AU appears to be the one with
> 'Java/Web' attributes (and it is also the smallest - and rather poor
> quality).

> This conflicts with recommendations I've seen elsewhere while
> researching this issue. But FWIW, the above is the result of several
> hours of testing.

> The remaining flaw or feature I see here is that the hover buttons
> *never* appear as anything other than grey rectangles in the Preview
> window. I always have to use 'Preview in Browser'.

> Terry, West Sussex, UK

1. Hover button and sound when pointer passes over it help

I can not get a sound to work with a hover button when my mouse pointer
moves over it in FP98, I go to custom and and point to the sound I want and
when I go to preview it it is a grayed out box that does nothing, if I
delete the sound and go back to preview it works perfect. What am I doing
wrong here. Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Chris

2. (OTUG) Re: Is Composite Pattern apt for this scenario??

3. hover buttons: use sound or not?

4. Non-Functional Testing

5. Hover Buttons and Sound

6. Free Burnout Arenas and News on Expansions-VULCAN

7. hover button /.au sound format

8. Hover Buttons and Sound files

9. Hover Buttons and Sound

10. Hover Buttons with sound not working

11. Hover Button "Sounds" Only

12. Hover Button Event Sounds - What's the Deal?