Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by cali » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 23:38:57

I am following the instructions from
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article applies to
2002, but my FP 2000 offers the same menu items and I was told it will work
for FP 2000.

But when I try to "preview" the page, either I see ASP script in the browser
or it takes forever to load the page; after several minutes of waiting
nothing happens.

I got some advice to use localhost and to have IIS open my web browser, but
I do not know what those mean. Can somebody help me here?

How do I get IIS to open my web browser?

FP2000, Windows 2000 Professional, IIS 5.

Thanks for any advice.

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by Stephen Travi » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 00:26:10

cali... is th page published? can we get the url? How are you accessing the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of your
browser?)

--

Stephen Travis,
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> I am following the instructions from
> http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article applies to
> 2002, but my FP 2000 offers the same menu items and I was told it will work
> for FP 2000.

> But when I try to "preview" the page, either I see ASP script in the browser
> or it takes forever to load the page; after several minutes of waiting
> nothing happens.

> I got some advice to use localhost and to have IIS open my web browser, but
> I do not know what those mean. Can somebody help me here?

> How do I get IIS to open my web browser?

> FP2000, Windows 2000 Professional, IIS 5.

> Thanks for any advice.

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by cali » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:07:44

Quote:> > cali... is th page published?

No. It's under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6.

Quote:> How are you accessing the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of your
> browser?)

I am trying to "preview in browser" under the file menu in FP2000, just like
the MS article suggests.

By the way, I am using IIS5 and Windows 2000 Pro, FP2000.

Quote:> cali... is th page published? can we get the url? How are you accessing

the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of your
> browser?)

> --

> Stephen Travis,
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Quote:> > I am following the instructions from
> > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> > to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article applies
> > 2002, but my FP 2000 offers the same menu items and I was told it will
work
> > for FP 2000.

> > But when I try to "preview" the page, either I see ASP script in the
browser
> > or it takes forever to load the page; after several minutes of waiting
> > nothing happens.

> > I got some advice to use localhost and to have IIS open my web browser,
but
> > I do not know what those mean. Can somebody help me here?

> > How do I get IIS to open my web browser?

> > FP2000, Windows 2000 Professional, IIS 5.

> > Thanks for any advice.

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by Stephen Travi » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:17:51

and when you 'preview in browser', what does the Address say?

--

Stephen Travis,
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > > cali... is th page published?

> No. It's under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6.

> > How are you accessing the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of your
> > browser?)

> I am trying to "preview in browser" under the file menu in FP2000, just like
> the MS article suggests.

> By the way, I am using IIS5 and Windows 2000 Pro, FP2000.

> > cali... is th page published? can we get the url? How are you accessing
> the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of your
> > browser?)

> > --

> > Stephen Travis,
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > > I am following the instructions from
> > > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> > > to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article applies
> > > 2002, but my FP 2000 offers the same menu items and I was told it will
> work
> > > for FP 2000.

> > > But when I try to "preview" the page, either I see ASP script in the
> browser
> > > or it takes forever to load the page; after several minutes of waiting
> > > nothing happens.

> > > I got some advice to use localhost and to have IIS open my web browser,
> but
> > > I do not know what those mean. Can somebody help me here?

> > > How do I get IIS to open my web browser?

> > > FP2000, Windows 2000 Professional, IIS 5.

> > > Thanks for any advice.

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by Dre » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 01:45:41

Cali, I think that you problem stems from the fact your going through the
preview in browser.

If you are using IIS and in that C\inet\... folder have a home page, create
a link to the page your trying to view so you can access it from the home
page (all this is only necc for test and if you don't have a structure as
yet)

Next ... Open you browser of choice (locally, don't dial on to the net) and
type htt p://localhost (or what ever you name you web).

This should bring you to your home page and there you can nav to the page in
question...

Quote:> I am following the instructions from
> http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article applies to
> 2002, but my FP 2000 offers the same menu items and I was told it will
work
> for FP 2000.

> But when I try to "preview" the page, either I see ASP script in the
browser
> or it takes forever to load the page; after several minutes of waiting
> nothing happens.

> I got some advice to use localhost and to have IIS open my web browser,
but
> I do not know what those mean. Can somebody help me here?

> How do I get IIS to open my web browser?

> FP2000, Windows 2000 Professional, IIS 5.

> Thanks for any advice.

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by cali » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:43:56

Quote:> and when you 'preview in browser', what does the Address say?

C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6\AspSample.asp

I just tried it now, and all I see is a bunch of VB script:

> and when you 'preview in browser', what does the Address say?

> --

> Stephen Travis,
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > No. It's under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6.

> > > How are you accessing the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of
your
> > > browser?)

> > I am trying to "preview in browser" under the file menu in FP2000, just
like
> > the MS article suggests.

> > By the way, I am using IIS5 and Windows 2000 Pro, FP2000.

> > > cali... is th page published? can we get the url? How are you
accessing
> > the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of your
> > > browser?)

> > > --

> > > Stephen Travis,
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx

Quote:> > > > to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article
applies
> > work

> > browser

> > but

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by Stephen Travi » Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:16:16

ASP pages must be accessed from a server. There are three ways to refer to a local server;

http://localhost
http://127.0.0.1
http://yourcomputername

where yourcomputername is the name of your computer.

I recommend that you use the first...

http://localhost/myweb6/AspSample.asp

--

Stephen Travis
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > and when you 'preview in browser', what does the Address say?

> C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6\AspSample.asp

> I just tried it now, and all I see is a bunch of VB script:

> > and when you 'preview in browser', what does the Address say?

> > --

> > Stephen Travis,
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > > No. It's under C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6.

> your

> > > I am trying to "preview in browser" under the file menu in FP2000, just
> like
> > > the MS article suggests.

> > > By the way, I am using IIS5 and Windows 2000 Pro, FP2000.

> accessing
> > > the page (ie. what is typed into the Address of your

> http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> applies
> will
> > > work

> > > browser
> waiting

> browser,
> > > but

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by cali » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:34:46

So to sum up this thread, when I "preview in browser", the asp page doesn't
display.

It DOES display, however, if I access the asp page using the one of the
references below.

Thanks for your help.

> ASP pages must be accessed from a server. There are three ways to refer to
a local server;

> http://localhost
> http://127.0.0.1
> http://yourcomputername

> where yourcomputername is the name of your computer.

> I recommend that you use the first...

> http://localhost/myweb6/AspSample.asp

> --

> Stephen Travis
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > > and when you 'preview in browser', what does the Address say?

> > C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6\AspSample.asp

> > I just tried it now, and all I see is a bunch of VB script:

> > > and when you 'preview in browser', what does the Address say?

> > > --

> > > Stephen Travis,
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > your

> > like

> > accessing

> > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> > applies
> > will

> > waiting

> > browser,

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by cali » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 02:34:22

Quote:> I think that you problem stems from the fact your going through the
> preview in browser.

Which is exactly what the Microsoft article suggests :(

Although the article was written for FP2002 and I'm using FP2000. Don't know
if that has anything to do with it.

Accessing it with localhost seems to work. Thanks for your reply.

> Cali, I think that you problem stems from the fact your going through the
> preview in browser.

> If you are using IIS and in that C\inet\... folder have a home page,
create
> a link to the page your trying to view so you can access it from the home
> page (all this is only necc for test and if you don't have a structure as
> yet)

> Next ... Open you browser of choice (locally, don't dial on to the net)
and
> type htt p://localhost (or what ever you name you web).

> This should bring you to your home page and there you can nav to the page
in
> question...

> > I am following the instructions from
> > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> > to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article applies
> > 2002, but my FP 2000 offers the same menu items and I was told it will
> work
> > for FP 2000.

> > But when I try to "preview" the page, either I see ASP script in the
> browser
> > or it takes forever to load the page; after several minutes of waiting
> > nothing happens.

> > I got some advice to use localhost and to have IIS open my web browser,
> but
> > I do not know what those mean. Can somebody help me here?

> > How do I get IIS to open my web browser?

> > FP2000, Windows 2000 Professional, IIS 5.

> > Thanks for any advice.

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by Stephen Travi » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:19:42

One other point. FP handles file based webs differently from server based webs. What you have done is create a file based web in
your server space. This has certain implication that I won't get into here because I don't full understand them myself. I do know
that this can create problems. What you should do is open the file based web (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6) and PUBLISH it to a new
server based web (eg. http://localhost/myweb7). I THINK that you can then open the root web in FP (http://localhost) and delete the
file based web (myweb6). From then on, forget about C:\Inetpub\wwwroot and always work with http://localhost. If the tutorial you
followed didn't make this clear then it is in error.

--

Stephen Travis
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> So to sum up this thread, when I "preview in browser", the asp page doesn't
> display.

> It DOES display, however, if I access the asp page using the one of the
> references below.

> Thanks for your help.

> > ASP pages must be accessed from a server. There are three ways to refer to
> a local server;

> > http://localhost
> > http://127.0.0.1
> > http://yourcomputername

> > where yourcomputername is the name of your computer.

> > I recommend that you use the first...

> > http://localhost/myweb6/AspSample.asp

> > --

> > Stephen Travis
> > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > > C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6\AspSample.asp

> > > I just tried it now, and all I see is a bunch of VB script:

> of
> > > your

> just
> > > like

> > > accessing

> > > http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
> > > applies
> it
> > > will

> the
> > > waiting

> > > browser,

Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work - reposted

Post by cali » Mon, 24 Feb 2003 06:30:58

Thanks for this information. Being new to FP I tend to "cling" to every
instruction in a step-by-step Microsoft tutorial. When it doesn't work as
expected I'm lost.
I really appreciate your help.

Quote:> One other point. FP handles file based webs differently from server based

webs. What you have done is create a file based web in
Quote:> your server space. This has certain implication that I won't get into here

because I don't full understand them myself. I do know
Quote:> that this can create problems. What you should do is open the file based

web (C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6) and PUBLISH it to a new
Quote:> server based web (eg. http://localhost/myweb7). I THINK that you can then

open the root web in FP (http://localhost) and delete the
Quote:> file based web (myweb6). From then on, forget about C:\Inetpub\wwwroot and

always work with http://localhost. If the tutorial you
> followed didn't make this clear then it is in error.

> --

> Stephen Travis
> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> > So to sum up this thread, when I "preview in browser", the asp page
doesn't
> > display.

> > It DOES display, however, if I access the asp page using the one of the
> > references below.

> > Thanks for your help.

> > > ASP pages must be accessed from a server. There are three ways to
refer to
> > a local server;

> > > http://localhost
> > > http://127.0.0.1
> > > http://yourcomputername

> > > where yourcomputername is the name of your computer.

> > > I recommend that you use the first...

> > > http://localhost/myweb6/AspSample.asp

> > > --

> > > Stephen Travis
> > > Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

Address
> > of

FP2000,
> > just

http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx

Quote:> > > > > > > > to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This
article
> > it

> > the

1. Step by step MS article to display picture doesn't work

I am following the instructions from
http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/2002/articles/fpDispImgDb.aspx
to try to display a picture using Frontpage 2000. This article applies to
2002, but my FP 2000 offers the same menu items and I was told it will work
for FP 2000.

But when I try to "preview" the page, either I see ASP script in the browser
or it takes forever to load the page; after several minutes of waiting
nothing happens.

Here are the steps, which I will do again. I appreciate any advice as to
what I may be doing wrong.

---
1.On a new page in a server-based web site, insert a form by clicking the
Insert menu, pointing to Form, and then clicking Textbox.
---
Ok, so I create a new 1 page web. I start Frontpage 2000, File => New => Web
=> One page Web => OK.
I can see the new web folder at C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myweb6
The new web contains a folder called "_private", a folder called "images"
and a page called "Default.htm".
Filt => New => Page => Normal page to add a new page. Insert => Form => One
Line Textbox. I can see a blank textbox and a SUBMIT and RESET button to the
right.

---
2. Move your cursor to the Insert menu, point to Form, and then click
Textbox.
---
So I click Insert => Form => One Line Textbox and can see a 2nd textbox to
the right of the first.

---
3. Double-click the first text box, and then type the word Description in
the Name box.
4. Double-click the second text box, and then type the word Image in the
Name box.
---

Ok, I do that.

---
5. On the file menu, click Save As, type ASPsample.asp in the File name box,
and click Save.
---

I do that. Now I can see the asp file too in the FP Folder List.

---
6. Right-click the form, and then click Form Properties on the shortcut
menu.
7. Click Send to database, and then click Options.
8. On the Database Results tab, click Create Database.
When you see a message that FrontPage has successfully created a database,
click OK.
9. Click the Additional Fields tab. Select each field, and then click
Remove.
10. Click OK twice, and then save the page.
---

After step 8, I see the message: "Frontpage has successfully created a
database for you. The database can be found at "fpdb/AspSample.mdb". When
using the Database Results Wizard, use the data connection "Asp Sample"."

If I open the folder "fpdb" in the Folder List, I can see the Access
database "AspSample.mdb"

---
11. Click Preview in Browser
---

Here's where the problem is.

I do that, and the IE status bar increments pixel-by-pixel. After several
minutes, nothing happens.

I open Personal Web Manager => Advanced => Scroll down to "myweb6" => Edit
properties => and under Application Permissions I click "Execute (including
scripts)"

Then I try to preview in browser and get a message that the page cannot be
found "The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name
changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Anybody have any ideas? I'm lost.

Thanks.

2. And not really ARM specific, but ..

3. ms FP 98 step by step book with cd lessons can't delete lessons

4. >64mb ram = CDR drive doesn't burn properly??

5. Step By Step Courseware MS Frontpage 2000 Question

6. ldap and dns

7. MS Frontpage 2000 Tutorial "Step by Step" ...Help!

8. SIMPLE AddString WON'T WORK! WHY!!!!

9. 2002 FrontPage Step by Step tutorial doen't match my computer screen

10. Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Step by Step

11. Step by Step Frontpage 2002

12. Patch for Front Page Version 2002 Step by Step

13. Step by Step for Frontpage 2002