Pantone color match

Post by Stephen Gree » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 05:19:14

Is there a way I can use a Pantone color in FrontPage 2002?  I need to match
Pantone 484CV.

Any ideas?

Stephen

Pantone color match

Post by Shar » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:10:54

Pantone is not associated with the web so FrontPage itself
does not give any pantone information when choosing a
specific color.  The best way to match a Pantone color
with  Hexidecimal color (the type used online) is to
compare the two in a graphics program such as Adobe Photo
Shop, that is compatable with both.  Then convert your
pantone color to the closest Hexidecimal color to use on
the web.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Is there a way I can use a Pantone color in FrontPage

2002?  I need to match
Quote:>Pantone 484CV.

>Any ideas?

>Stephen

>.

Pantone color match

Post by Cowbo » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:16:17

Best bet is to use a graphics program that has Pantone color equivalents,
and see what the RGB equivalent for the color is by changing from Pantone to
RGB. Use the three decimal values to add the color to your FrontPage
palette. It is likely the exact color will be unavailable in RGB, esp. if
you stick to web safe colors, but it should be close.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

Think Outside the Box!

Quote:> Is there a way I can use a Pantone color in FrontPage 2002?  I need to
match
> Pantone 484CV.

> Any ideas?

> Stephen

Pantone color match

Post by Thomas A. Row » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:29:54

Check the Pantone site for their Pantone to Web Color reference application.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
http://www.ycoln-resources.com
FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Quote:> Is there a way I can use a Pantone color in FrontPage 2002?  I need to
match
> Pantone 484CV.

> Any ideas?

> Stephen

Pantone color match

Post by Stephen Gree » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 06:49:59

Thanks, Gregory.  Your suggestion worked fine.  I'm not sure if the color is
officially websafe, but it's what my boss wants...

Stephen

> Best bet is to use a graphics program that has Pantone color equivalents,
> and see what the RGB equivalent for the color is by changing from Pantone
> RGB. Use the three decimal values to add the color to your FrontPage
> palette. It is likely the exact color will be unavailable in RGB, esp. if
> you stick to web safe colors, but it should be close.

> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> Think Outside the Box!

> > Is there a way I can use a Pantone color in FrontPage 2002?  I need to
> match
> > Pantone 484CV.

> > Any ideas?

> > Stephen

Pantone color match

Post by Cowbo » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 07:44:09

You are welcome. Glad I could help. I use this method to match colors all
the time. It is safer now to drift away from websafe colors than it was a
few years ago.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

Think Outside the Box!

> Thanks, Gregory.  Your suggestion worked fine.  I'm not sure if the color
is
> officially websafe, but it's what my boss wants...

> Stephen

> > Best bet is to use a graphics program that has Pantone color
equivalents,
> > and see what the RGB equivalent for the color is by changing from
Pantone
> > RGB. Use the three decimal values to add the color to your FrontPage
> > palette. It is likely the exact color will be unavailable in RGB, esp.
if
> > you stick to web safe colors, but it should be close.

> > --
> > Gregory A. Beamer
> > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> > Think Outside the Box!

> > > Is there a way I can use a Pantone color in FrontPage 2002?  I need to
> > match
> > > Pantone 484CV.

> > > Any ideas?

> > > Stephen

Pantone color match

Post by BigHea » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 09:15:13

Greg,

Great advice, let me just add that 'websafe colors' are pretty obsolete, if
not obsolete. They were designed for the old vga monitors with not much
color depth. Anyone still using those monitors isn't enjoying the web anyway
:-).

Teddy

> You are welcome. Glad I could help. I use this method to match colors all
> the time. It is safer now to drift away from websafe colors than it was a
> few years ago.

> --
> Gregory A. Beamer
> MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> Think Outside the Box!

> > Thanks, Gregory.  Your suggestion worked fine.  I'm not sure if the
color
> is
> > officially websafe, but it's what my boss wants...

> > Stephen

> > > Best bet is to use a graphics program that has Pantone color
> equivalents,
> > > and see what the RGB equivalent for the color is by changing from
> Pantone
> > > RGB. Use the three decimal values to add the color to your FrontPage
> > > palette. It is likely the exact color will be unavailable in RGB, esp.
> if
> > > you stick to web safe colors, but it should be close.

> > > --
> > > Gregory A. Beamer
> > > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> > > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> > > *************************************************
> > > Think Outside the Box!
> > > *************************************************

> > > match

Pantone color match

Post by Kathleen Anderso » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:39:13

http://vdsluis.servicez.org/vdsluis.net/pantone.php

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

> Check the Pantone site for their Pantone to Web Color reference application.

> --

> Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
> WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
> http://www.ycoln-resources.com
> FrontPage Resources, Forums, WebCircle,
> MS KB Quick Links, etc.
> To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
> http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

> > Is there a way I can use a Pantone color in FrontPage 2002?  I need to
> match
> > Pantone 484CV.

> > Any ideas?

> > Stephen

Pantone color match

Post by Bob Lehman » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 11:13:53

Quote:>>Anyone still using those monitors isn't enjoying the web anyway:-).

Like AOL users, they just think they are.

--

Bob Lehmann
Active Internet Solutions

Pantone color match

Post by BigHea » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 13:12:49

lol

> >>Anyone still using those monitors isn't enjoying the web anyway:-).

> Like AOL users, they just think they are.

> --

> Bob Lehmann
> Active Internet Solutions
> Custom Programming for Web Developers
> www.activeinet.com

Pantone color match

Post by Andrew Murra » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 20:10:24

I thought the web safe colours issue was also to do with the fact that PC
monitors and Macintosh monitors display the "same" colour slightly
differently, but with the 216 web safe colours, the range was more the same
than not, therefore not getting to different a look on the web when using PC
or Mac.

> Greg,

> Great advice, let me just add that 'websafe colors' are pretty obsolete,
if
> not obsolete. They were designed for the old vga monitors with not much
> color depth. Anyone still using those monitors isn't enjoying the web
anyway
> :-).

> Teddy

> > You are welcome. Glad I could help. I use this method to match colors
all
> > the time. It is safer now to drift away from websafe colors than it was
> > few years ago.

> > --
> > Gregory A. Beamer
> > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> > Think Outside the Box!

> > > Thanks, Gregory.  Your suggestion worked fine.  I'm not sure if the
> color
> > is
> > > officially websafe, but it's what my boss wants...

> > > Stephen

> > equivalents,
> > Pantone
> > if

Pantone color match

Post by BigHea » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 22:42:41

I don't think even websafe colors display the same on Mac or PC - can't be
positive there.

Good topic to address.

Everything I've read however indicate that websafe colors is an obsolete
practice.

Teddy

> I thought the web safe colours issue was also to do with the fact that PC
> monitors and Macintosh monitors display the "same" colour slightly
> differently, but with the 216 web safe colours, the range was more the
same
> than not, therefore not getting to different a look on the web when using
PC
> or Mac.

> > Greg,

> > Great advice, let me just add that 'websafe colors' are pretty obsolete,
> if
> > not obsolete. They were designed for the old vga monitors with not much
> > color depth. Anyone still using those monitors isn't enjoying the web
> anyway
> > :-).

> > Teddy

> > > You are welcome. Glad I could help. I use this method to match colors
> all
> > > the time. It is safer now to drift away from websafe colors than it
was
> > > few years ago.

> > > --
> > > Gregory A. Beamer
> > > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> > > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> > > *************************************************
> > > Think Outside the Box!
> > > *************************************************

> > color
> > > is

> > > equivalents,
> > > Pantone
FrontPage
> esp.
> > > if

> need

Pantone color match

Post by Cowbo » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:28:49

Overall, I concur. I still try to make the site look decent for the web safe
palette, but it is not an overwhelming concern any more. More importantly, I
try to make sure I do not use colors that make the site unviewable for color
blind people. Accessibility is much more important than websafe.

Not sure what webTV does, however, as far as colors. They used to be rather
limited (not sure why). Now that MS controls WebTV, I am certain it is much
better.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

Think Outside the Box!

> Greg,

> Great advice, let me just add that 'websafe colors' are pretty obsolete,
if
> not obsolete. They were designed for the old vga monitors with not much
> color depth. Anyone still using those monitors isn't enjoying the web
anyway
> :-).

> Teddy

> > You are welcome. Glad I could help. I use this method to match colors
all
> > the time. It is safer now to drift away from websafe colors than it was
> > few years ago.

> > --
> > Gregory A. Beamer
> > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> > Think Outside the Box!

> > > Thanks, Gregory.  Your suggestion worked fine.  I'm not sure if the
> color
> > is
> > > officially websafe, but it's what my boss wants...

> > > Stephen

> > equivalents,
> > Pantone
> > if

Pantone color match

Post by Cowbo » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:32:03

The websafe colors dealt with the way the PC and Mac dealt with a 256 color
palette. There are only 216 colors that both display the same, so the
websafe palette is 256 colors. In 1993, when the web was born, it was not
uncommon to find systems with 256 colors (in fact, it was the norm). The
next step was 4,096, then 65k, etc., up to current systems with 32 bit
color.

While I no longer exclusively create websafe 640 x 480 sites (generally 800
is the norm for min width now), I still realize that there are people that
have woefully old computers. I am not PC, so I do not care about the digital
divide, overall; however, if I can make a site that is at least decent in
216 colors, all the better.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

Think Outside the Box!

> I thought the web safe colours issue was also to do with the fact that PC
> monitors and Macintosh monitors display the "same" colour slightly
> differently, but with the 216 web safe colours, the range was more the
same
> than not, therefore not getting to different a look on the web when using
PC
> or Mac.

> > Greg,

> > Great advice, let me just add that 'websafe colors' are pretty obsolete,
> if
> > not obsolete. They were designed for the old vga monitors with not much
> > color depth. Anyone still using those monitors isn't enjoying the web
> anyway
> > :-).

> > Teddy

> > > You are welcome. Glad I could help. I use this method to match colors
> all
> > > the time. It is safer now to drift away from websafe colors than it
was
> > > few years ago.

> > > --
> > > Gregory A. Beamer
> > > MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
> > > Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

> > > *************************************************
> > > Think Outside the Box!
> > > *************************************************

> > color
> > > is

> > > equivalents,
> > > Pantone
FrontPage
> esp.
> > > if

> need

1. Pantone colour matching

Sorry, this is not actually a FP question but you guys have been so helpful

I am trying to design a web site for a friend who sells sports clothing
printed with various designs.  I want to be able to represent the colours of
the designs accurately on the site.  I know what the pantone numbers of the
colours, is there any other way, other than trial and error for working out
the mix of RGB for the variuos shades?

Thanks for your help

Julia

2. mail/edit bug?

3. Pantone Colours

4. MS-Kermit 3.14/Beta-14 command-line editing bug

5. Pantone colours

6. T-Cache

7. Matching colors

8. My network icon in the tcp/ip problems

9. How do you get identical match of colors for table background.

10. How do i match a background colour in Frontpage 98?

11. Page background colors won't match banner background

12. FP Search form syntax for partial matches?

13. Rollover not matching