Looking for CASE tools comparison

Post by Joshua Beinho » Wed, 12 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I am looking for a good CASE tools comparison. Is there any such
document in the public domain?

The candidates I identified so far are Rational Rose, ObjectTeam, and
Software Through Pictures.

What other candidates can be recommended?

The project will be developed partly using object-oriented techniques
and partly using structured methods. Are there any tools that support
the two approaches?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
 ___  Joshua (Shuky) Beinhorn | NCC

  |-  Tel: +972-3-9254-658    | Petah-Tikva 49135
\_|_) Fax: +972-3-9213301     | Israel

Post by Benjamin Luri » Thu, 13 Nov 1997 04:00:00

--------------B86876B0B20F4B5B663EAB73

> Hello,
> The candidates I identified so far are Rational Rose, ObjectTeam, and
> Software Through Pictures.

> What other candidates can be recommended?

I'd look at Select OMT from Select Software.  I've used Rational Rose,
STP, and Select.

I would just throw STP out the window right now; it was the worst tool
that I have ever used.  The client chose to use it based on the sales
information that it was flexible and supported large teams through
"versioning".  Well, the underlying structure of the tool was flexible,
however, the user interface was bad enough that it made OO modelling a
painful chore.  In addition, there was no support for sequence diagrams
(though you could draw picture that looked like them).  The underlying
repository was a Sybase database (which is something else you have to
administer).  There was minimal support for document generation and
customizing your own was like driving a nail into your head.  Just don't
do it.

I personally would choose Select OMT (it now supports UML by the way).
It has the best user interface which makes it very easy to use.  It is
extensible so that I can add my own "fields" to entities in the
repository (like a "business value" to a class) -- I havn't found
another tool in which I could do this.  It also has an OLE interface
that you can use -- we used it to produce documentation and to check
mappings between information in entities - like mapping a window
attribute to a class attribute.

Ben
--------------B86876B0B20F4B5B663EAB73

begin:          vcard
fn:             Benjamin  Lurie
n:              Lurie;Benjamin
org:            Cambridge Technology Partners
adr;dom:        304 Vassar Street;;;Cambridge ;MA;02139;

title:          Associate Director II
tel;work:       617-374-9800  (offsite 617-572-0tel
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version:        2.1
end:            vcard

--------------B86876B0B20F4B5B663EAB73--

Looking for CASE tools comparison

Post by Edward Kenworth » Sat, 15 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Well Popkin's System Architec can be used - with the appropriate modules -
for both structured and OO development. None of those you mentioned can.

I know a good consultant in this field if you're interested :-)

Edward

Post by HH » Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:00:00

The project will be developed partly using object-oriented techniques
and partly using structured methods. Are there any tools that support
the two approaches?

WinA&D for Windows 95/NT or MacA&D for Macintosh support structured analysis
and design and OOA/OOD methods including code generation and reverse
engineering.  See http://www.excelsoftware.com for product descriptions.  In
addition to the typical modeling features you'd expect, they include
integrated specifications, integrated code browsing, requirements
traceability, multi-task design and multi-user team dictionary.

1. UML CASE Tools Comparison

Hi,

Has anyone ever compared Rational Rose with Telelogic Tau UML Suite ? I am
fairly familiar with Rational Rose but know very little about Telelogic Tau.
Any information to which is better would be much appreciated.

As an aside, I had lots of problems merging models with the "Model
Integrator" tool (Enterprise Edition) in Rational Rose 2000. It always came
up with seemingly un-resolvable conflicts. Has anyone else had the same
problem or was I just doing something wrong ?

Thanks, Phil

2. Bug year 2000

3. Case Tool comparison

4. DRAFT FAQ: csa2.programmer (d1)

5. Comparison of CASE tools for OOA/OOD

6. This is Unreal

7. CASE Tool Comparison

8. Nested Tagging

9. TRADE-IN YOUR SHELFWARE CASE TOOL - Get a Hot CASE Tool FREE!!

10. Looking For CASE/UML Tool Suggestions

11. Looking for OO case tool source code

12. Help:Looking for the best commercial CASE tool

13. Q: Looking For A Good Case Tool